D&D 5E 5e Ready Action - Ready action on your turn so that you can act later in the round using your reaction.

neogod22

Explorer
I thought also that a spell caster might fake a spell casting with hand gestures and some words that sound magical just to throw off the fighter/paladin/etc.. (Ready Action Reaction attack cause the warrior to lose the multiple attacks)

also the spell caster could cast Shield as a reaction to hinder the attack
It wouldn't waste the reaction, if they react and still attack the caster.

neogod22

Explorer
The sword was not in the equation, but a bow with an arrow readied in the "Ready Action"

both the Counterspell Reaction and the Ready Action Reaction you don't know the spell caster is going to cast
I feel like the difference is, all magic users are tapped into the weave. Spellcasters know instantly when the weave is being manipulated, whereas a nonspellcaster will have to wait for visual reactions. The problem becomes then, how do they know when the wizard is actually casting the spell? What if the wizard cast something like teleport or invisibility, do they still get a reaction? What of they use a magic item? That's not casting a spell. By your conditions of the reaction, the character doesn't even react. They definitely can't interrupt the use of a magic item. There are many factors in what can and can't work. What if the caster casts time stop or wish? Surely your arrow won't interrupt either of those.

Athinar

Explorer
I feel like the difference is, all magic users are tapped into the weave. Spellcasters know instantly when the weave is being manipulated, whereas a nonspellcaster will have to wait for visual reactions. The problem becomes then, how do they know when the wizard is actually casting the spell? What if the wizard cast something like teleport or invisibility, do they still get a reaction? What of they use a magic item? That's not casting a spell. By your conditions of the reaction, the character doesn't even react. They definitely can't interrupt the use of a magic item. There are many factors in what can and can't work. What if the caster casts time stop or wish? Surely your arrow won't interrupt either of those.

I have never seen any group allow a spell caster to know instantly that someone is casting a spell, weave, there is no weave

Visual clues that a caster is casting can be masked by trying to hide any signs of casting; DC "Sleight of Hands" or "Deception" vs Perception checks

magic items use does not require a Concentration check, cannot be stopped by the Counterspell therefore cannot be stopped by the Ready Action Reaction Arrow therefore the Ready Action would be wasted, it would be your choose to do the ready action and try to stop casters casting

Time Stop is a Verbal only spell and can be hard for the attacker to spot, hard DC for Perception, speak the words softly and carry a big stick
a correctly worded wish could take some time to cast during your action but would be hard to spot, verbal only, DC check to spot if the spell caster is not trying to hide the casting

and someone of that level would be very skilled with the use of magic - Improved Invisibility or even more powerful effects could hinder the Reaction Attack

initiate spell casting cannot be stopped by Counterspell

neogod22

Explorer
I have never seen any group allow a spell caster to know instantly that someone is casting a spell, weave, there is no weave

Visual clues that a caster is casting can be masked by trying to hide any signs of casting; DC "Sleight of Hands" or "Deception" vs Perception checks

magic items use does not require a Concentration check, cannot be stopped by the Counterspell therefore cannot be stopped by the Ready Action Reaction Arrow therefore the Ready Action would be wasted, it would be your choose to do the ready action and try to stop casters casting

Time Stop is a Verbal only spell and can be hard for the attacker to spot, hard DC for Perception, speak the words softly and carry a big stick
a correctly worded wish could take some time to cast during your action but would be hard to spot, verbal only, DC check to spot if the spell caster is not trying to hide the casting

and someone of that level would be very skilled with the use of magic - Improved Invisibility or even more powerful effects could hinder the Reaction Attack

initiate spell casting cannot be stopped by Counterspell
This is exactly my point of why a warrior cannot disrupt a spell with a reaction. They do it with counterspell because counterspell specifically says it.

neogod22

Explorer
And, this is how I know people don't read anything. Lol. It does talk about the spellweave in the players handbook. Magic literally works by being able to manipulate it. Go and read it, it's in the magic section of all places.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
And, this is how I know people don't read anything. Lol. It does talk about the spellweave in the players handbook. Magic literally works by being able to manipulate it. Go and read it, it's in the magic section of all places.

I believe that the Weave is optional fluff, but after re-reading the section again, they don't state it that way.

Remove ads