D&D 5E 5e Ready Action - Ready action on your turn so that you can act later in the round using your reaction.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
No you only get 1 reaction per turn. So if you ready your reaction (not an action) for a certain trigger, but instead take an opportunity attack because that triggered first, that's your reaction. You don't get another one. One tactic I like to do when playing a frontliner, and something attacks the caster, I will move up to attack it, then move away to allow it to get it's opportunity attack on me, so the caster can,move away worry free.

Nice. I find a ranger's Escape the Horde works really well with that tactic.

Am I the only person who is struggling to parse what the heck is even being discussed in this thread?

You aren't the only one.

Athinar

Explorer
Those that created version 5 just got the word "weave" stuck in theirs heads that all, a weave would indicate that there is a pattern with some locations having stronger magic and others weaker, lay lines, but magic is everywhere, in all living things, the rocks, the water, the air, in space, it's like the Force and only a few can tap into it, but we have it a tangent with the weave, there is nothing in rules that prevents a DM from using the Ready Action "Reaction" to stop a spell caster from casting in her/his game

but it happen if the DM made the world that way, to the magic weave with lay lines, stronger and weaker places in the world, could have race wars over the strong locations,

Athinar

Explorer
Not at all. I don't even want to engage in it.

That's it. No comment. Just replying for solidarities sake.

(Except that mage dlayer allows you to use your reaction to interrupt a spell plus other things, basically rendering above discussion moot. Oops! Couldn't resist!)

Mage Slayer does not Interrupt the spell

Athinar

Explorer
Jeremy Crawford
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford

The beautiful liberty of D&D is that each group can shape the game to suit their tastes and story. People still like to know what’s in the books, and I’m happy to provide clarity. Clarity about what the text does and doesn’t say is no more than a tool for your creations. #DnD
https://
twitter.com/acr0ssth3p0nd/
status/959060165776388096

guachi

Hero
Show us what makes it false

What makes it false is the actual wording of the ability. If you take a reaction, you can't take another until the start of your next turn. In any given round you can take a reaction before your turn if you didn't use it last round and then take one later in the round after your turn because your reaction refreshes.

Two reactions in one round.

You can get more reactions if you are a sufficiently high level Thief that you get two turns in the first round of combat.

In the Ready section it says remember that you can only take one reaction per round. But the "remember" part makes no sense as they've never previously said you can only take one reaction per round. You can normally only take only one Ready action per round simply because you use your action to Ready something and only in rare circumstances do you get more than one turn per round. But that's not the same thing.

If I still have my reaction because I didn't use it last round I can very well use it before my turn an then the rules plainly state I get my reaction back at the start of my turn.

Last edited:

guachi

Hero
From a Crawford tweet: "To the reaction rule, a round is measured from the start of your turn. You could take a reaction, then again after your turn starts."

Crawford has, out of whole cloth with no textual support whatsoever, redefined what a round is solely for reactions. There is the round as defined in the rules - everyone has a turn. And a round as defined for reactions - the round starts on your turn. The first is in the rules. The second is completely fabricated in Crawford's mind. The statement "remember that you can only take one reaction per round" is now gibberish. Which round is this talking about? The actual round or this fantasy "reaction round"? It's like the rules assume two different kinds of rounds, one that's in the rules and another that's implied but never stated.

How this squares with a Thief who can take two turns in the first round of combat I have no idea. What round? The "combat round" or the "personal round"? Only one of these is defined in the rules. The other is... not.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
From a Crawford tweet: "To the reaction rule, a round is measured from the start of your turn. You could take a reaction, then again after your turn starts."

Crawford has, out of whole cloth with no textual support whatsoever, redefined what a round is solely for reactions. There is the round as defined in the rules - everyone has a turn. And a round as defined for reactions - the round starts on your turn. The first is in the rules. The second is completely fabricated in Crawford's mind. The statement "remember that you can only take one reaction per round" is now gibberish. Which round is this talking about? The actual round or this fantasy "reaction round"? It's like the rules assume two different kinds of rounds, one that's in the rules and another that's implied but never stated.

How this squares with a Thief who can take two turns in the first round of combat I have no idea. What round? The "combat round" or the "personal round"? Only one of these is defined in the rules. The other is... not.
Relax.

He's only talking about the fact that "end of round" is not significant in a game with circular initiative like D&D5.

All he's trying (and failing ;) to say is: you regain your reaction at the start of your turn, not at the start of the next round.

So, for the purposes of reactions, it's as if the round starts at your turn, and ends before your next turn.

But the best thing is to ignore that "helpful" advice and simply say after me: you regain your reaction at the start of your turn. At any time when you have your reaction, you can use it. Since you regain it at the start of your turn, you can use it... on your turn.

Focus on that, and there are nothing left unanswered.

Including this very thread, which is very confusing and full of misunderstandings. Again, ignore everything and simply repeat after me: you regain your reaction at the start of your turn.

Remove ads