[5E] Small velociraptor-type creature NEED HELP :)

I was a bit surprised there wasn't a veloceraptor-type dinosaur in the MM; you would think it would be almost mandatory to include it in a post-Jurassic Park world. I'm hoping to see it in the inevitable MM2, along with some of the other missing dinosaur archetypes (archosaur archetypes?) such as a sauropod, a stegosaur (although right now you could just modify the ankylosaurus in the MM) and a larger pterosaur like quetzalcoatlus.

(I've been mulling over an idea of creating a "100 monsters I would like to see in a MM2" list...)

ccooke

Adventurer
Some thoughts...

1) You've included stealth as a skill, but not given them proficiency in it, so the skill is the usual +2 for a dex skill. It's more common to leave that out.
2) Challenge rating, as you've listed it. For this, I'm assuming that you intended the multiattack and pounce to stack, so that the raptor can get three attacks on a round when it pounces.

CR is the average of defensive and offensive CR. So, to calculate the defensive CR... 3hp and AC12 are solidly in the CR0 range. No features affect this, so its defensive CR is zero.
Offensive... Well, given the pounce it's going to have potentially three attacks on the first round, then two on subsequent. The DMG advises to take the average over the first three rounds, so:
Each attack is 1d4+2, for an average of 4. The first round it does 12, the two subsequent 8, for a total of 28 points over three rounds or 9.3 per round. That puts the offensive CR as a high CR½ or a low CR1. Now we look at the attack bonus - 4 is one point higher than the +3 for a CR1 creature, and pack tactics is accounted for by adding one to the effective attack bonus. That means the effective attack bonus is +5, two points higher than the expected bonus for a CR½ or CR1 creature. The guidelines say this would increase the CR by one. That leaves us with an offensive CR of a strong 1 or a weak 2. I think on balance that this is a strong offensive CR of 1, since the DC on the pounce ability is low and therefore the chance of dealing the higher damage is lessened.

Overall CR is 0 + 1 / 2, or a nice CR½. Looking at other CR½ creatures, I think that's pretty reasonable - these will go down quickly, but if you're attacked by a pack of them it could get nasty.

3) I like this creature. I might have to steal it :)

Does that help?

If you want them to fill the role of a wolf, why not just re-skin a wolf and make your other changes. I'd leave out the multiattack, though. CR should be about the same as the wolf.

Would lizardfolk train these as hunting dogs?

Remove ads