[5e] Spell & Crossbones

peterka99

First Post
I can cast a thunderwave spell ahead of the group (It will affect my friends otherwise) and then we can finish them... But maybe the shockwave will make the roof collapse...

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Yeah, Detect Magic in 5th Ed is a 1st level spell not a cantrip, which means only folks who can cast it as a ritual will EVER bother casting it. Bit of a downer for things like this. It basically means you -have- to have a wizard to ever get Detect Magic.

Clerics can cast it as a ritual, but they have to prepare it, y'see. Wizards can cast it as a ritual out of their spellbooks.

And I thought we'd already gotten all the sea cave info out of the gnome. Shucks!
OOC: Please excuse me for jumping in, here, but here's this:
Warlocks of at least 2nd level who have learned the Eldritch Invocation "Eldritch Sight" can cast Detect Magic at will without expending a spell slot or spending time on a ritual.

Matthan

Explorer
I don't think we have a warlock. I think he just wanted to correct us?

Anyway, as for Thunderwave, doesn't that push monsters back? If we do Moonbeam, we'll want to keep the monster in it.

Shayuri

First Post
Of, of course.

My apologies, I should probably read back a page when I've forgotten the context of a conversation. :)

Yes, warlocks can spend an invocation to get at-will Detect Magic. Invocations often 'break' the rules of magic that other classes must follow. But of course every invocation slot is quite precious. Few warlock builds I've seen use the detect magic one (though I can see it being useful in some party compositions).

Thunderwave does push on a failed save. I can have Nia ready her spellcasting action until after the thunderwave goes off though?

pathfinderq1

First Post
This week is going to be kind of crazy for me- work, travel, holiday, travel, work...

Flynn is content to hang back and act as rear guard- he will ready an action to attack if anything shows up behind us (following, attracted to the sounds of combat, etc.). He may move up to support in later rounds, if needed.

Shayuri

First Post
I think I'll actually open with an Entangle, come to think of it. There's a bunch of them...it'd be good if we could at least slow them down and limit how many can come at us at once.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I am here, and doing alright. We do have some crazy crap going on IRL and it's not going to let up anytime soon, unfortunately. I don't want to hold up the game so anyone should seriously feel free to use and abuse Katerina if they need to, a party needs their Captain after all, and if it helps move the party forward, so be it. I won't complain.

Otherwise Kat can't see so she's waiting for the others to make their move ... :D

Remove ads