[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Shayuri

First Post
Yeah, Detect Magic in 5th Ed is a 1st level spell not a cantrip, which means only folks who can cast it as a ritual will EVER bother casting it. Bit of a downer for things like this. It basically means you -have- to have a wizard to ever get Detect Magic.

Clerics can cast it as a ritual, but they have to prepare it, y'see. Wizards can cast it as a ritual out of their spellbooks.

And I thought we'd already gotten all the sea cave info out of the gnome. Shucks!

pathfinderq1

First Post
I'm still here- mostly.

I've been essentially out of gaming for just over a month now to manage a very complicated moving process. The main part is done, but some important bits remain, so while I am here, I don't expect to be back up to anywhere near full speed for at least a couple of weeks. Maybe Flynn hit his head a bit when he fell off the ledge.

I'll be here, and I'll be checking in, but it might not be quick. Hopefully I'll be back to full function in a few weeks.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Yeah, Detect Magic in 5th Ed is a 1st level spell not a cantrip, which means only folks who can cast it as a ritual will EVER bother casting it. Bit of a downer for things like this. It basically means you -have- to have a wizard to ever get Detect Magic.

Clerics can cast it as a ritual, but they have to prepare it, y'see. Wizards can cast it as a ritual out of their spellbooks.

What the what??? How dumb is that?????

Anyhoo... In like Flynn ;) In the interest of saving time, Fenris is in too. He'll be by to say that himself, it just may be a day or two. I'm good with whatever plot it takes to move us forward :)

Matthan

Explorer
Want to run this past the team. I remember someone has a stone with light on it. Can we all ready an action to attack when the enemy is visible and have someone toss the stone at the monster? Hopefully, we can offset the disadvantage from darkness and maintain our advantage from stealth. Is that a viable plan for everyone?

Matthan

Explorer
Am I reading Moonbeam right? It only gives dim light inside the cylinder (5')? So essentially you would be spotlighting one square/one monster. At first, I thought that could be terrible, but that could be great in a lot of situations. It gives the enemies all the disadvantages of being lit up and us all the advantages of being in darkness. I reread the rules on dim light. If I'm reading it right, we would have disadvantage on Perception checks (w/sight), but it wouldn't impact attacks. With how generally stealthy the whole group is, that spell is awesome!

I'm assuming these mutant sea slug things have some kind of non-visual detection, but Moonbeam still seems like a good option. We can keep Nia off the front line to make sure it stays up. So do we want Nia to start us off with Moonlight? Etienne and Blaise can take point and try to take cover behind some rocks.

Remove ads