[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I play in a few other PbP games on another site and one of them has an interesting mechanism to keep the plot moving. The GM created a 'Campfire' thread. The idea was that if a scene was dragging long because of roleplaying, that scene shifts to the 'Campfire' thread to be completed and the story pushes forward. For our present situation, I think we're all set on heading to meet with the old captain. With the campfire system, if anyone else had any narrative goals that they wanted to accomplish at this beach scene they could RP that within the Campfire thread and the rest of the party moves forward with the main plot in the main story thread.

It takes a little mutual trust since you're essentially setting up a parallel narrative track, but for IC interactions it works great. If you wanted to preserve everything within the main thread, you could still use the Campfire thread, but create a "to be filled later" post in the main thread before the scene transition. After the scene is done in the Campfire thread, copy and paste the contents into the "to be filled later" post.

We did almost the exact same thing in my long lasting PBP game. Our GM turned the game into a Story Hour, so we always had in mind that we were "writing a story" while we played, essentially writing for our audience (and, all these years later, we still have 200 loyal readers!! lol ).

In that vein, we'd back-fill / edit in things all the time. Most of that was conversations between two players. It *really* helped develop characters while not make everyone else sit around and wait for said characters to fight / flirt / drag out backstories. I think that is why it is a favorite game of most of the players, we got all those backstories out that everyone worked so hard on. Most games don't have a lot of time for time, especially PBP games because of their slow rate.

Right now Kat and Blasie are chatting but essentially we were waiting on the perpetually slow [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] to post what he found in the book. But in the future, say we knew they wanted to drink and flirt a little bit with the intent of digging deeper into why the other was really looking for La Gloriosa and we knew that night they would have a little bit of time they could steal away together. We could do that conversation either in private messages or in another thread if [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] wanted to monitor it / play NPC's or cause trouble while the main game was still playing... it gives the chance to actually make shorter and more frequent back and forths which resemble a real conversation without making others wait on that. Then it would be ready with possibly just minor alterations to be inserted when the time was right.

Or like Matthan mentioned... they continue the conversation they are having right now, but the game moves on, then we edit in the remainder of it when we are finished and post in OOG that we edited it so everyone can go read. Obviously you try not to do anything life altering like kill someone, but since it's usually just discussions and gets posted soon-ish, that's not usually an issue.

I'm all for it. It makes the game much richer, imho.

Quickleaf

Legend
Hmm, ok, let me think on it :)

Btw, is there a way for you as players to get notifications (i.e. the red box up on top right) to display for this thread?

I get notifications for my OWN threads, but I'm wondering how players stay abreast of new posts in a thread? I tried subscribing to another person's thread recently, but that didn't give me notifications like I was hoping for. Without notifications, I tend to forget about posts/threads I'm part of; anyone else have that problem?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Hmm, ok, let me think on it :)

Btw, is there a way for you as players to get notifications (i.e. the red box up on top right) to display for this thread?

I get notifications for my OWN threads, but I'm wondering how players stay abreast of new posts in a thread? I tried subscribing to another person's thread recently, but that didn't give me notifications like I was hoping for. Without notifications, I tend to forget about posts/threads I'm part of; anyone else have that problem?

Usually subscribing is the way to go. I have found I have to do it on a desktop (it doesn't work well on my ipad, from the app).

Also, ENW suffers from jags, so it goes through spurts of not working. Also, if you don't check the thread, you won't get any more notifications. That's how that works. It's a PITA.

But when it works, it's great! *rolls eyes*

I kept missing posts today, until I realized people were on and posting, so just kept refreshing. It's not the best system. But generally it works better than nothing.

Are you "subscribing" to the thread? It's under "Thread Tools" then you can choose how to be notified, generally "Instant Notification By Email."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION] Are you still with us? You haven't posted since March. I don't want to leave you out of anything!

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[5e] Spell & Crossbones (FULL for now)

I can manage up to seven players, so we do have 1 opening. That's assuming that everyone else is still in the game.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong for players:

Queenie - Katerina
[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] - Old Zef

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] - Nia

[MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] - Blaise

[MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION] - Etienne

[MENTION=6700362]Pathfinder[/MENTION] just left -boo- so no more Flynn.

Is there someone else? Please forgive me if I've forgotten you!

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Quickleaf

Legend
Someone correct me if I'm wrong for players:

@Queenie - Katerina
[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] - Old Zef

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] - Nia

[MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] - Blaise

[MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION] - Etienne

[MENTION=6700362]Pathfinder[/MENTION] just left -boo- so no more Flynn.

Is there someone else? Please forgive me if I've forgotten you!

Ah, that's right I'd forgotten about [MENTION=48394]pathfinderq1[/MENTION] dropping the game. Sorry, there's been so much turnover it's hard to keep track. So, we have 2 vacancies.

Remove ads