• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION].
Ok, the "new" Old Zef is ready for approval. I went Wizard 4 for the feat (which my old build mistakenly had as well.) He is going to be fun. I picture him as sort of a One Eye from the Black Company if you are familiar with those books.
Yeah, I like the feel for the character and I agree being a conjurer does suit him better.

Dang, spellsniper is an awesome feat for ship-to-ship battles. A 2d10 fire bolt at 240-ft, bypassing most cover, is nasty and it lights stuff on fire. Old Zef is a mini-cannon! :)

I did catch an error in your spell list.
C: Firebolt, Guiding Bolt, Light, Mending, Prestidigitation
Guiding Bolt is a level 1 spell, not a cantrip.

My recommendation is to use that bonus attack cantrip granted by spellsniper to pick up Thorn Whip and re-skin it as animating the Ship's rigging (a la Blackbeard in the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides). Thorn Whip would be range 60-ft thanks to spellsniper, 2d6 piercing damage and pull 10-ft toward you. I could see allowing creative uses/modifications for it too for non-offensive purposes.

Last edited:

Hannerdyn

Explorer
[MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION]; you write really well. I hope you get to apply your craft in many areas.

(Sorry if this isn't the type of thing that goes in OOC.)

Unsung

First Post
[MENTION=6777934]Maldavos[/MENTION]- Thanks. :) You write really well yourself. It's actually pretty impressive how this whole group just...coalesced out of the first seven people to post on the thread. Usually doesn't happen that way, in my experience. I am new to these forums, though.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
How many of us know each other before this venture? Who are we meeting new at the table? Katerina knows Old Zef, obviously. And Teague mentioned being with Kat. How does everyone else feel? I don't mind if we all know each other already, or we don't. Just want to confirm before I post referring to it.

And by the way, AWESOME posting everyone! This game is off to a great start.

Shayuri

First Post
Hehe, having pangs of remorse that I missed my chance at this!

But then again, I'm working pretty hard to keep up with the games I have. Still, a rolliking pirate game looks like great fun. Keep it up, folks. :)

Quickleaf

Legend
A quick word on languages...
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] Katarina's Languages: English, Spanish, Thieves Cant, +1 more?
[MENTION=51930]fireinthedust[/MENTION] Hawken's Languages: English, Aquan, Chinese? (should this be Japanese given his background?

Hehe, having pangs of remorse that I missed my chance at this!

But then again, I'm working pretty hard to keep up with the games I have. Still, a rolliking pirate game looks like great fun. Keep it up, folks. :)
Haha. Yeah, I don't know if I'd be able to handle another online game besides this! And thanks!

Also, [MENTION=6755061]Kiraya_TiDrekan[/MENTION] I'm keeping your seat open thru the end of the month. If anything changes let me know, savvy?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer

[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] Katarina's Languages: English, Spanish, Thieves Cant, +1 more?

[MENTION=51930]fireinthedust[/MENTION] Hawken's Languages: English, Aquan, Chinese? (should this be Japanese given his background?

Haha. Yeah, I don't know if I'd be able to handle another online game besides this! And thanks!

Also, [MENTION=6755061]Kiraya_TiDrekan[/MENTION] I'm keeping your seat open thru the end of the month. If anything changes let me know, savvy?

Aye captain. ;) This Sunday, if all goes well.

Queenie

Queen of Everything

I just wrote a note about this down an hour ago to remind myself to speak to my gaming accountant. I will get back to you later tonight :)

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6755061]Kiraya_TiDrekan[/MENTION] Look forward to your grand entrance then!

Hey speaking of the legendary gaming accountant, I have a question for [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] and the other caster players in the group.

Does Old Zef use an arcane focus or cast with spell components? If the later I'm fine with re-skinning components as long as they make sense thematically (e.g. pinch of gunpowder to cast fire bolt).
[MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION] Does Gunner Teague use a holy symbol I missed somewhere or does he use components? I could see you coming up with some fun eccentric holy symbol if you haven't already.
[MENTION=51930]fireinthedust[/MENTION] Does Doctor Hawken use an arcane focus or components? I'm guessing your intention was to make his pact blade the arcane focus...which I'm totally fine with so long as he fights with one free hand or wields the blade two-handed (since normally an arcane focus would take up the other hand).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads