• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] Two quick things:

First, your character sheet in the Rogue's Gallery still lists her Dexterity as 20. It should be 19 with her current build. Yes, yes, I know, consult your gaming accountant ;)

Second, for her background feature, are you going with "Ship's Passage" or "Bad Reputation"? I might allow both, if you tie in her Ally fortune to a particular NPC who will grant her & her companions passage on their ship, making that the primary (but not only) benefit of her ally. Then again both Gunner Teague & Old Zef have "Ship's Passage" so it might be overkill.

:heh:

So yes, I am still working on finishing her, in between cleaning and more cleaning. I don't get a lot of time without my daughter and that seems to be the only time I get to clean. So apologies. I just copied her over from my old sheet but added in the fortunes I remembered. I will change it up, I promise! I still have to add my trinket to my sheet (the ever returning hat!), and also from the 5e book the flaw and ideal. Fenris changed my numbers last night I just have to type them in.

So this background feature ... bad reputation is what differentiates a sailor from a pirate, right? I do think both / either would fit but if only going with one I would go with Bad Reputation I think. Do you want me to create the ally? That is assuming it's not my undead pirate father, I'd leave that one up to you ;)

Also, I know I am using baboon stats for my monkey... can I have trained it to do simple tricks?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Okay I changed my Dex score and lowered the the skills, added Bad Reputation and left Ship's Passage as an option. I still need to add my equipment and flaw and ideals. I think the rest is done? Except for the monkey. :)

Quickleaf

Legend
:heh:

So yes, I am still working on finishing her, in between cleaning and more cleaning. I don't get a lot of time without my daughter and that seems to be the only time I get to clean. So apologies. I just copied her over from my old sheet but added in the fortunes I remembered. I will change it up, I promise! I still have to add my trinket to my sheet (the ever returning hat!), and also from the 5e book the flaw and ideal. Fenris changed my numbers last night I just have to type them in.
What's with all the cleaning? Hmm, I guess it's my turn. Sigh. Man, I hate cleaning.

So this background feature ... bad reputation is what differentiates a sailor from a pirate, right? I do think both / either would fit but if only going with one I would go with Bad Reputation I think. Do you want me to create the ally? That is assuming it's not my undead pirate father, I'd leave that one up to you ;)
Bad Reputation basically let's her get away with stuff (large bar tab, civic disturbance, carrying weapons, smashing doors) without getting hauled in by the authorities.

Yeah, go ahead and create her Ally. Broad strokes are fine.

Btw, IIRC Gentleman Jim has an ever-returning hat. Pretty funny coincidence!

Also, I know I am using baboon stats for my monkey... can I have trained it to do simple tricks?
Yes. YouTube convinced me it was a good idea. :D Here's what a Capuchin monkey can do with 3 years of training.

[video=youtube;cL07FrhrYhk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL07FrhrYhk&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
First: apologies to all for the delay in posting. This is unusually busy for me (fun fact: I'm acting in a professional production of Hamlet, which closes tonight; our fourth show in 48 hrs.; it's a long play, but Polonius dies his last death tonight). So catching up before rushing off:

[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] suggested we have a Rogues Gallery for your PCs. Would you all find that helpful? And where in these forums does one usually post such a thing?

Thanks, what do other folks think? Rogues Gallery or keep it as it is?

I am fine with what we have already -- your carefully and meticulously edited first post makes navigating this game a dream. But of course I can repost in a rogue's gallery.

Also, I need to work on my schedule and since the Gentleman and the Lady will be sort of sharing the Captaincy and the First Matey position, how should I write up my schedule? One schedule of each position or just one position overall?

Let us say to start (so as to keep things simple), that at the moment the Lady is the captain. That might change (and as I understand it, captaincies were more-or-less democratically/meritocratically elected on pirate ships (source), but for now Gentleman Jim is a dutiful first mate, serving in combat as sailing master or gunner.

Rota to follow.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I suggest James Barrington is currently serving as First Mate/Gunner, under Lady Katrina who is Captain/Sailing Master. That may change.

His routine is as follows (it assumes two meals a day, which I believe was standard; "postprandial" is therefore a misnomer, but it's too good a word not to use).

0300-0400 wake, ablutions
0400-0600 appear promptly on deck; breakfast and prayer meeting for crew*
0600-1000 attend to duties
1000-1300 time in cabin, attending to charts, etc.**
1300-1400 postprandial rest (short rest)
1400-1700 attend to duties***
1700-1900 Dinner with Captain (and officers)
1900-0300 rest and sleep (long rest)****

* this is for crew morale only, and is not especially religious. some need help with drink, some with loneliness. But for up to an hour a day, Jim will spend with the crew singing hymns or whatever. He does not need to lead, but he is the supervising officer.

** He is needed occasionally for ship matters, but this is also the time that he will spend forging documents. This is not a skill he is known to possess.

***Seven hours a day are spent attending to duties. This includes discipline, sail maintenance, various staffing issues, navigation, etc. Duties will differ depending on whether he is sailing master or not (Captain's choice, I guess).

**** Jim goes to bed early, regularly. It allows the few the licence they need, and syncopates with the diligent attention given to evening hours by other members of the crew.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Question about the fortune "magic trinkets" (ok, I know Jim is enlightened, but just so I'm clear):

Your rules say
8. Magic Trinkets: You have sundry lucky charms, talismans, protective tattoos, and fetishes (roll five times for Trinkets if you wish). Most of these are not magical. However, either one of your choice is actually magical and you know it, or two of the DM's choice are magical but you don't know which. These should be common or uncommon magic items.

Is this saying that one can have one uncommon magic item of our choice or two (common/uncommons) of yours? If so, that might be worth pursuing, if it's not too late... (headband of intellect is uncommon, and Jim's trinket roll did give him a really nice hat...).

Perhaps I am misunderstanding this.

Quickleaf

Legend
First: apologies to all for the delay in posting. This is unusually busy for me (fun fact: I'm acting in a professional production of Hamlet, which closes tonight; our fourth show in 48 hrs.; it's a long play, but Polonius dies his last death tonight). So catching up before rushing off:
Poor Polonius! Good luck, sounds like a lot of work and a lot of fun!

Let us say to start (so as to keep things simple), that at the moment the Lady is the captain. That might change (and as I understand it, captaincies were more-or-less democratically/meritocratically elected on pirate ships (source), but for now Gentleman Jim is a dutiful first mate, serving in combat as sailing master or gunner.
Yes, pirate captains were very much elected. Though my understanding is one generally had to "put ones name in the bucket" so to speak.

Is this saying that one can have one uncommon magic item of our choice or two (common/uncommons) of yours? If so, that might be worth pursuing, if it's not too late... (headband of intellect is uncommon, and Jim's trinket roll did give him a really nice hat...).
Yes, that's correct. Though how you plan on reconciling a magic hat that makes him smarter with being Enlightened will certainly be interesting! :)

fireinthedust

Explorer

HEY HEY HEY! ...Polonius dies?! Spoiler! :p:p:p

Quickleaf

Legend
Here's the revised Rotation so far. I took some liberties to get things to line up, and also followed [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION]'s lead with all PCs/officers gathering for dinner with the Captain. Upshot? Party Cleric is dead asleep during morning prayer meeting ;)

[SBLOCK=The Rotation (so far)]
[h3]Morning (4:00-12:00)[/h3]
Gentleman Jim (4:00-6:00): Jim rises an hour earlier than others (3:00), performs ablutions, appears promptly on deck during morning tea as supervising officer for prayer meeting, not because he is especially religious but for crew morale. (Crew)
Gentleman Jim (6:00-10:00): Attends to duties as First Mate. This includes discipline, sail maintenance, various staffing issues, navigation, etc. Duties will differ depending on whether he is sailing master or not. (?)
Gentleman Jim (10:00-12:00): Time in his cabin, attending to charts and forging documents. (Researching/Forgery)
Gunner Teague (4:00-8:00): Sleeps like the dead. (finishes long rest)
Gunner Teague (8:00-12:00): Maintains the ship’s cannons, checks the powder, cleans and counts pistols and muskets, shouts up and down at the powder monkeys. Throws his back into any task calling for more than one set of arms. (Master Gunner/Crew)
Hugo Van Haan (4:00-6:00): Morning Tea. Hugo makes a still of tea and serves them from the kitchen on a first-come first-serve basis to the general crew, while taking a fine silver tea set into the captain's quarters to absorb reports from the prior night and report on any shortages. (Quartermaster/Cook)
Hugo Van Haan (6:00-8:00): Breakfast. Hugo stores spices from every port in the Spanish Main. As a result he's often experimenting to keep things lively. If there's anyone on the ship who just wants a biscuit, for God's sake, they're probably annoyed. Hugo handles cooking, rationing, and clean-up. (Cook)
Hugo Van Haan (8:00-12:00): Rounds. Hugo checks the ships stores against a mostly-well tabulated inventory, including everything from cannonballs to crackers. (Quartermaster)
[h3]Afternoon (12:00-20:00)[/h3]
Gentleman Jim (12:00-13:00): Postprandial rest. (short rest)
Gentleman Jim (13:00-18:00): Attends to duties as First Mate. As above.
Gunner Teague (12:00-18:00): As above. (Master Gunner/Crew)
Hugo Van Haan (12:00-5:00): Walks the decks, makes small-talk with near every member of the crew (whether they want to see him or not). Serves the purpose of checking up on the crew's morale, but Hugo would do this if his position were Captain or deck-hand. Helps out where needed. Has a junior member of the crew handle tea time. (Crew)
Hugo Van Haan (5:00-20:00): Preps dinner, in and out of dinner with Captain, joins in on after-dinner stories to add his beguiling viola or pipe to the background. Writes up a menu for the next day. (Cook)
All Officers/PCs (18:00-20:00): Dinner with the Captain.
[h3]Night (20:00-4:00)[/h3]
Gentleman Jim (20:00-4:00): Jim goes to bed early. (long rest)
Gunner Teague (20:00-24:00): Drinks rum on deck, reciting jokes and tall tales and mangled scripture to anyone who passes by. Often falls asleep. (starts long rest)
Gunner Teague (24:00-4:00): Becomes sombre and morose, delivering ghost stories and old sea legends, and waxing poetic on the nature of the sea as a fickle goddess. Occasionally draws a crowd. (Entertainer/Lookout)
Hugo Van Haan (20:00-4:00): Takes evening tea, talks to the more depressive drunks to ensure they don't throw themselves to the sharks, sleeps. (long rest)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION].
Ok, the "new" Old Zef is ready for approval. I went Wizard 4 for the feat (which my old build mistakenly had as well.) He is going to be fun. I picture him as sort of a One Eye from the Black Company if you are familiar with those books.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads