• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Hannerdyn

Explorer
[MENTION=51930]fireinthedust[/MENTION], I've got no issue with you taking over the surgeon position. It's a natural fit.
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION], so in my high-rev writing I forgot that Spain may not have nobles that would marry Dutch nobles, because eww... dwarves, or have dwarven nobles of their own, because again... eww.

It makes more sense if that detail about the marriage between Clemet and Marissa Van Scheidem that Marissa is a Scot noble, and if you'd like me to change the background accordingly, I shall. Just let me know.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] suggested we have a Rogues Gallery for your PCs. Would you all find that helpful? And where in these forums does one usually post such a thing?

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=51930]fireinthedust[/MENTION] I am fine with character mechanics being hammered out, but not major character story elements like you've been changing with Hawken.

Your sheet reads better on my iPad now! Whatever changes you made definitely have improved it.

Where are his feats though? I don't see them anywhere, and you have him as a variant human...is he human or mer? As a Hermit, his background feature is "Discovery"...did you have an idea for what that might be? Or did you want to switch it to another? As Ship's Surgeon he needs proficiency in surgeon's tools (since he doesn't have healing magic).

I notice 3 important things conspicuously absent from your character sheet:

(1) Bond (VERY IMPORTANT), Flaw, Ideal, and Personality Trait(s) (in 5th edition these are described under Backgrounds in the PHB, whereas Bonds are unique to this campaign and some examples are found in my first post).

(2) A written character background. It doesn't have to be much, but at least a paragraph to help me understand your character.

(3) Fortunes (if any, as described in my original post).

Also, his weapon is not a "kitana" (which it is listed as in your sheet). I thought we went over this? If he was a Jesuit to China it would be a "dao" (a re-skinned scimitar or longsword).

[SBLOCK=Picture of a Chinese Dao]
10020420_1_l.jpg
[/SBLOCK]

So, get those done, and converse with [MENTION=6777934]Maldavos[/MENTION] about the issue of Ship's Surgeon, and then I will give you the green light. :)

EDIT: Oh! Looks like Maldavos is good with you being Ship's Surgeon. That part is resolved. Just address my three bullet points above then!

EDIT: Also, it looks like you misread the Warlock level progression chart and gave him 3 Eldritch Invocations (Armor of Shadows, Fiendish Vigor, and Agonizing Blast). At least, you list Armor of Shadows in the armor section of the sheet. At 4th level he gets 2 Eldritch Invocations, however, not 3.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION], so in my high-rev writing I forgot that Spain may not have nobles that would marry Dutch nobles, because eww... dwarves, or have dwarven nobles of their own, because again... eww.

It makes more sense if that detail about the marriage between Clemet and Marissa Van Scheidem that Marissa is a Scot noble, and if you'd like me to change the background accordingly, I shall. Just let me know.
I've incorporated her background as a Spaniard into the campaign already. But if the dwarf/human coupling is incongruous, let's make her from a rare dying breed of dwarven Spanish nobility.

Btw, I love the Clemet and Marissa characters. Thanks for those!

Hannerdyn

Explorer
I've incorporated her background as a Spaniard into the campaign already. But if the dwarf/human coupling is incongruous, let's make her from a rare dying breed of dwarven Spanish nobility.

Btw, I love the Clemet and Marissa characters. Thanks for those!

Sounds good boss. I'll be posting to the thread tonight (too busy cleaning).

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6777934]Maldavos[/MENTION] And nice job on Hugo's rotation. Can't wait to see what comes of his culinary experiments!

Here's a run down on how your characters' ship duties are looking...I think you've got all roles covered...

Gentleman Jim & Katarina del Corazon: One will be Captain, the other probably First Mate and/or Sailing Master (and a Gunner during battle). Or perhaps they'll come to some weird arrangement, who knows?
Hugo Van Haan: Quartermaster & Cook
Old Zef: Boatswain and/or Carpenter (and a Gunner during battle)
Gunner Teague: Master Gunner
Doctor Hawken Varlok: Surgeon

[sblock=The Rotation (so far)]
[h2]The Rotation (so far)[/h2]
[h3]Morning (4:00-12:00)[/h3]
Hugo Van Haan (4:00-6:00): Morning Tea. Hugo makes a still of tea and serves them from the kitchen on a first-come first-serve basis to the general crew, while taking a fine silver tea set into the captain's quarters to absorb reports from the prior night and report on any shortages. (Quartermaster, Cook)
Hugo Van Haan (6:00-8:00): Breakfast. Hugo stores spices from every port in the Spanish Main. As a result he's often experimenting to keep things lively. If there's anyone on the ship who just wants a biscuit, for God's sake, they're probably annoyed. Hugo handles cooking, rationing, and clean-up. (Cook)
Hugo Van Haan (8:00-12:00): Rounds. Hugo checks the ships stores against a mostly-well tabulated inventory, including everything from cannonballs to crackers. (Quartermaster)
Gunner Teague (4:00-8:00): Sleeps like the dead. (finishes long rest)
Gunner Teague (8:00-12:00): Maintains the ship’s cannons, checks the powder, cleans and counts pistols and muskets, shouts up and down at the powder monkeys. Throws his back into any task calling for more than one set of arms. (Master Gunner/Crew)

[h3]Afternoon (12:00-20:00)[/h3]
Hugo Van Haan (12:00-5:00): Walks the decks, makes small-talk with near every member of the crew (whether they want to see him or not). Serves the purpose of checking up on the crew's morale, but Hugo would do this if his position were Captain or deck-hand. Helps out where needed. Has a junior member of the crew handle tea time. (Crew)
Hugo Van Haan (5:00-20:00): Preps dinner, eats, joins in on after-dinner stories to add his beguiling viola or pipe to the background. Writes up a menu for the next day. (Cook)
Gunner Teague (12:00-20:00): As above. (Master Gunner/Crew)

[h3]Night (20:00-4:00)[/h3]
Hugo Van Haan (20:00-4:00): Takes evening tea, talks to the more depressive drunks to ensure they don't throw themselves to the sharks, sleeps. (long rest)
Gunner Teague (20:00-24:00): Drinks rum on deck, reciting jokes and tall tales and mangled scripture to anyone who passes by. Often falls asleep. (starts long rest)
Gunner Teague (24:00-4:00): Becomes sombre and morose, delivering ghost stories and old sea legends, and waxing poetic on the nature of the sea as a fickle goddess. Occasionally draws a crowd. (Entertainer/Lookout)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Hello people! Now that I am home from another fancy schmancy party, I have a question! About my little monkey. I know we said we would be using baboon stats does that mean the monkey is a baboon? Or is that just easier? Because, I think baboons are pretty big so Kat would need a very large shoulder. And instead of teeny tiny pants and hat they might be more just small size.

Fenris

Adventurer
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION],
I had been talking to Queenie and she brought up an interesting point. She said why ranger? And after thinking about it, I said you know I really don't know. I think I had an initial thought of it, but it wandered away at some point. SOoooooo. A small request, well ok, not so small. I want to change Old Zef's class to wizard. But none of his bonds, flaws, fortunes or any of his background would change. It actually makes more sense in light of his backstory, with his Dad making the bellows, and he knowing how to use them. But mechanics would change, but not the character. What are your thoughts on this? I can have the sheet done by tomorrow no problem. We had a long car ride where we discussed this and I feel like wizard fits his backstory better. (I know weird, changing the class to fit the backstory rather than the other way around).

Edit: He woudl still keep all the tools abilities so he would still be Boatswain and carpenter, but would then also be Artillerist

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Also, I need to work on my schedule and since the Gentleman and the Lady will be sort of sharing the Captaincy and the First Matey position, how should I write up my schedule? One schedule of each position or just one position overall?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Sure! It's balanced by taking both Enemy and Wanted (look out though! :devil:).

What Ally did you have in mind? Her undead father Blackheart? [\QUOTE]

Dayyyuummm that is rough lol.

Why do I have the feeling we are all going to be regretting some of these choices later? :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads