D&D 5E 5E Survivor - 5th Edition Survives! [+]

Omand

Hero
Wasn't X1 the module included with the X of B/X?

Edit: Was the updated version with E of BECMI much different? (It was packaged with it too?)
Honestly could not tell you. I started with the 1983 Red Box Basic, so no experience with B/X which was retired by that time (well, replaced with Blue Box Expert). Yes, the Blue Box came with The Isle of Dread included. Not sure if there were any changes to it, but it was a formative experience.

Cheers :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Heh - for all the old-school games I've been in/DMed my only-ever exposure to Isle of Dread was in a one-off drunken gonzo game in which we barely scratched the surface. None of us players even knew that was the module he was using until the DM told us afterwards.

Fancifulhat

Villager
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 46
B/X Dungeons and Dragons 11
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 47
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition 43
Dungeons & Dragons, Rules Cyclopedia Edition 48
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 36

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
B/X Dungeons and Dragons 11-2=9
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 47
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 36+1=37

ccooke

Adventurer
B/X Dungeons and Dragons 9
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 47 - 2 = 45
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 37+1 = 38

It's hard to be certain, but I have a feeling that an old copy of BECMI was my first introduction to d&d - some old booklets and material in a jumble sale I was helping out with as a kid.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 45
Dungeons & Dragons, Rules Cyclopedia Edition 46
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 39

The Old Crow

Explorer
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 44
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 45
Dungeons & Dragons, Rules Cyclopedia Edition 46
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 40

Lycurgon

Adventurer
Are the d20 systems 3/3.5/PF, 4/Essentials, and 5?

At least two of those three to have fairly opposite fandoms compared to the overlap of several others.

Yeah, the WotC-designed systems.
That is not what the D20 System is. It refers specifically to 3e and 3.5 and the games that were published under the OGL license agreement allowing campatible content. Games could also use the D20 System Trademark if they followed the stricter Trademark License which meant they couldn't include character creation rules. So Pathfinder 1e uses the D20 System under the OGL but not the D20 Trademark License (meaning that they couldn't use the official D20 System logo on their books).

4e and 5e are not part of the D20 System.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That is not what the D20 System is. It refers specifically to 3e and 3.5 and the games that were published under the OGL license agreement allowing campatible content. Games could also use the D20 System Trademark if they followed the stricter Trademark License which meant they couldn't include character creation rules. So Pathfinder 1e uses the D20 System under the OGL but not the D20 Trademark License (meaning that they couldn't use the official D20 System logo on their books).

4e and 5e are not part of the D20 System.
This is the best kind of correct, but not how people typically use the term. I’m quite certain @CleverNickName was using it to mean the WotC D&D systems (and probably also Pathfinder), and since the purpose of language is to communicate and I understood their meaning, it served its purpose.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases