D&D 5E 5E Survivor - 5th Edition Survives! [+]

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Wasn't X1 the module included with the X of B/X?

Edit: Was the updated version with E of BECMI much different? (It was packaged with it too?)
It was included in both, I think.

Here's the "blue cover" copy that was included in the B/X set...
1635634425773.png

...and here's the "orange cover" version that was included in the Expert boxed set.
1635634450861.png

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
It was included in both, I think.

Here's the "blue cover" copy that was included in the B/X set...
View attachment 145891

I still have my original B rule book, copy of B1, and X book... but I don't even have a recollection of ever having had X1. Does anyone remember if they ever sold the rulebooks separately or if some of the X boxes were shipped for a while without the module?

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 45
B/X Dungeons and Dragons 9
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 45
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition 43
Dungeons & Dragons, Rules Cyclopedia Edition 46
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 38

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
This is the best kind of correct, but not how people typically use the term. I’m quite certain @CleverNickName was using it to mean the WotC D&D systems (and probably also Pathfinder), and since the purpose of language is to communicate and I understood their meaning, it served its purpose.
Yep, when I say "d20 System" I don't just mean the D20 System SRD. I am referring to the rules published by Wizards of the Coast, as well as Paizo's Pathfinder game (that used the same rules system). So basically anything post-2E.

pumasleeve

Explorer
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st Edition 46
B/X Dungeons and Dragons 9
BECMI Dungeons and Dragons 45
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd Edition 43
Dungeons & Dragons, Rules Cyclopedia Edition 46
Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition 36

Scribe

Legend
Yep, when I say "d20 System" I don't just mean the D20 System SRD. I am referring to the rules published by Wizards of the Coast, as well as Paizo's Pathfinder game (that used the same rules system). So basically anything post-2E.
So is it

Anything 2e and prior vs 3e to PF vs 4e/5? Or do we split off on 4e vs 5e as well?

I wonder how much of the new community of 5e is aware of anything that came before, and is the 3e->Pathfinder branch the forgotten middle child?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So is it

Anything 2e and prior vs 3e to PF vs 4e/5? Or do we split off on 4e vs 5e as well?

I wonder how much of the new community of 5e is aware of anything that came before, and is the 3e->Pathfinder branch the forgotten middle child?
I think the overwhelming majority of 5e players have never played any edition of D&D other than 5e. I think folks who played 4e and moved on to 5e and the folks who either skipped or bounced off 4e are probably similar in number to each other, but both are significantly fewer than the 5e newbies.

Of course, I have no data to back this up, it’s just the general impression I get. But almost all the D&D players I interact with in meat space started with 5e.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
So is it

IME, 4e is quite consistently the forgotten middle child. Pathfinder is at best the annoying cousin everyone got all excited about when they got into a good school, and then stopped talking about when they graduated with a high-academia but non-flashy degree like mathematics.

It is genuinely shocking how many people today will openly and unabashedly praise 5e for "inventing" or "adding" a mechanic that either first appeared in 4e, or first took its modern form in 4e. Or how many folks repeatedly request things that are at best only a slight tweak/house-rule of 4e design that had been absolutely and explicitly verboten during the 3e/4e edition wars.

Scribe

Legend
It is genuinely shocking how many people today will openly and unabashedly praise 5e for "inventing" or "adding" a mechanic that either first appeared in 4e, or first took its modern form in 4e. Or how many folks repeatedly request things that are at best only a slight tweak/house-rule of 4e design that had been absolutely and explicitly verboten during the 3e/4e edition wars.
4e isnt without its merits, but...you know what it reminds me of.

I had an assignment in university, nothing was objectively wrong with it. Nothing was incorrect. However there were enough things that the Professor didnt like, enough red ink after he had reviewed it and made notes on it, that he docked me marks.

I think if I had to look over 4e again, that would be it. Maybe there is nothing objectively wrong, but its just too many changes from what I was enjoying, and honestly still do, that its just too covered in red after that review to be accepted anyway.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
4e isnt without its merits, but...you know what it reminds me of.

I had an assignment in university, nothing was objectively wrong with it. Nothing was incorrect. However there were enough things that the Professor didnt like, enough red ink after he had reviewed it and made notes on it, that he docked me marks.

I think if I had to look over 4e again, that would be it. Maybe there is nothing objectively wrong, but its just too many changes from what I was enjoying, and honestly still do, that its just too covered in red after that review to be accepted anyway.
4e committed the sin of not being what people expected. If you order a hamburger and you get served pizza, you’re going to be unhappy, even if you love pizza. It’s not that pizza isn’t good, it’s just not what you were expecting or in the mood for.

I say this not to disparage 4e, which I love, and not to say it isn’t D&D, which it is. Rather, I say it to acknowledge that 4e just didn’t resonate with a lot of folks who had an idea about what D&D was, who were put off when what the new edition of D&D wasn’t that.

Remove ads