D&D 5E 5E Survivor - 5th Edition Survives! [+]

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
WOW, what a ride!

Thanks everyone for participating! And for also keeping things civil and respectable, even in our disagreement. We managed to pull off a semblance of an "edition war" thread and without a single moderator warning. That has to be a first.

Congratulations to 5th Edition...a truly excellent victory, for a truly excellent edition. (I mean, you're no BECMI, but it would be weird if you were. You weren't my first vote, but you're still pretty great in my book.)

pumasleeve

Explorer
im wondering how the results would have come in if the editions were just consolidated into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th ignoring the variants with in each edition

im wondering how the results would have come in if the editions were just consolidated into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th ignoring the variants with in each edition
Hard to know, but it certainly seems it would have really consolidated the 1st Edition vote heavily, and 3rd and 4th a little bit; if I understand things correctly 2nd Edition only covers AD&D2e and 5e obviously only covers one version, so they would be a little bit disadvantaged.

It also really wouldn't be fair... if I understand the history well enough, OD&D, AD&D 1e and Basic / BECMI are different enough from each other to be worth separating, just like 3.0e and 3.5e.

Also... that might require lumping in Pathfinder 1e with 3.0e and 3.5e, which people would most likely ignore and would be weird.

... maybe it'd also cause Pathfinder 2e and D&D 4e to share a slot... =V

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
You can go back and look at the different "monster" threads, to get an idea of how things change with different configurations. You'd get a different result, sure, but the Survivor Thread itself probably wouldn't be any more fun to participate in.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Congratulations to 5E. I am honestly surprised given how sometimes it can seem there is a lot of 5E criticism on these forums. And I am also surprised at how long 2E lasted.

That was quite a dramatic finish!

So what's next?

ccooke

Adventurer
I think @Charlaquin 's point about 5e being lots of people's second favourite is a key point. 5e is an example of a very successful mainstream game - there's a decent number of people who will call it their favourite edition (hi), but it's also been designed to appeal to a broad number of people. While it isn't their favourite, it's acceptable for a very wide range of games, and the player base is huge so it's easier to get a game.

(And this is a great thing for the industry as a whole, because basically for the entire history of roleplaying games there has been a big incumbent mainstream game that most people enter the hobby via. Many of those people will discover systems that are better for the games they want to play, but the entire hobby is improved by the big mainstream game being better at drawing in new people and being good enough to use for a wide range of game styles. It's a lot easier to get people into a smaller niche if you can play a working version of it in the system your prospective players know best.

Anyway. It's half past 1am and I'm rambling. This has been a fun thread, and I'm really glad it stayed positive.)

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Congratulations to 5E. I am honestly surprised given how sometimes it can seem there is a lot of 5E criticism on these forums. And I am also surprised at how long 2E lasted.

That was quite a dramatic finish!

So what's next?
Believe me, there really, really isn't.

For an extremely long time, it was very rare for a month to go by with no one making an essentially pure fluff thread about how 5e was God's gift to gamerkind and how full of sunshine and rainbows it was. Even incredibly mild criticism had a tendency to cast summon dogpile, greater. The only thing that's changed is that the honeymoon has finally worn off and people are able to actually discuss issues and difficulties in earnest.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases