D&D 5E 5e - Tales of the Old Margreve (Roll20) Campaign Recaps

Nebulous

Legend
@THEMNGMNT I haven't even posted the Curse of Strahd thread - and I might not - but we just reached Session #70 in that campaign and they just reached Castle Ravenloft, so there could be 10 sessions left. If I ever did post it, I might just do the whole thing at once and let people read it at their leisure.

Edit: Understand that I could run multiple campaigns at once only because of Covid and switching to Roll20. It would otherwise be impossible. In fact, after these are done, I will probably have to take a break from such extensive recaps. That is one of the few positives from the pandemic; I learned that I love running games more online than in person because they cater to my love of maps and miniatures and sound effects.

Last edited:

Scottius

Adventurer
Margreve Session #21 - The Streets of Zobeck

Box

So now we are diving into Zobeck for a little while. This is not officially a part of the Margreve adventure, although Zobeck is adjacent to the forest and intimately connected to the Shadow Fey and the forest economy. Kobold Press has a wonderful (really wonderful) sourcebook devoted solely to Zobeck, plus a book of just Zobeck city adventures (although I'm not really using that one). Honestly, I am more impressed by everything KP puts out than any of the WotC official products anymore.

The Zobeck Gazeteer isn't an adventure in itself, but it is so packed with plot hooks, NPCs and potential story threads that it could be.
I'm on the same page there. I've lost interest in anything WOTC is putting out lately but I'm all in every time Kobold Press puts out a new Kickstarter or product.
Margreve Session #23 - The Broken Seal
Box

I think I can honestly say that I have had more fun building maps and props in Roll20 than even in person. They're faster to do, and the limits are endless. That keg golem still makes me giggle.

Due to the sandbox nature of Zobeck and the PCs can go wherever they want at anytime, I had to prepare a number of extra maps, some random encounters, some set pieces, but there are as of now 20+ locations in and around the city to explore. I can tell now that some they will never see, which is kind of a bummer.

It ALSO makes me wish a company would release a city map package with dozens and dozens of individual locations already fleshed out with hyperlinked battlemaps. I would gladly pay for such a product.
How do you find is easy to build maps and props in Roll20? I've been using it since the pandemic started and even though I love maps and minis I find the process of sourcing or creating them to be extremely time consuming.

Nebulous

Legend
I'm on the same page there. I've lost interest in anything WOTC is putting out lately but I'm all in every time Kobold Press puts out a new Kickstarter or product.

How do you find is easy to build maps and props in Roll20? I've been using it since the pandemic started and even though I love maps and minis I find the process of sourcing or creating them to be extremely time consuming.
Well, Scottius, I also started Roll20 January 2020, right before pandemic, and it was hard to adjust. I had the time (at the time) to spend hours a day practicing. I personally find it easy to make minis because I'm good at Photoshop and it takes like 2 minutes to edit and upload a token, give or take. I pay for patreons and have access to amazing maps, and there are thousands of free maps available online. I have a backlog catalog of like 1000 maps. If you want maps with full dynamic lighting enabled, all of the official WotC campaigns are on Roll20 to purchase.

It's also that I LIKE the process of making maps and minis. Not unlike how I used to enjoy painting them prior to pandemic. That took a damn long time too. It's no different.

Nebulous

Legend
Kobold Press is so damn good. For this campaign, I have probably cobbled together pieces of every sourcebook they've put out, plus my own ideas, and made it into something awesome.

Scottius

Adventurer
Well, Scottius, I also started Roll20 January 2020, right before pandemic, and it was hard to adjust. I had the time (at the time) to spend hours a day practicing. I personally find it easy to make minis because I'm good at Photoshop and it takes like 2 minutes to edit and upload a token, give or take. I pay for patreons and have access to amazing maps, and there are thousands of free maps available online. I have a backlog catalog of like 1000 maps. If you want maps with full dynamic lighting enabled, all of the official WotC campaigns are on Roll20 to purchase.

It's also that I LIKE the process of making maps and minis. Not unlike how I used to enjoy painting them prior to pandemic. That took a damn long time too. It's no different.
Thanks for the advice! I just recently started backing a couple of Patreons for map makers so I'm hoping that those resources will help speed up my processes.

I have map making software including Dungeondraft but although I enjoy making my own custom maps I find I'm still pretty slow at it. I probably need to practice more so it becomes easier to quickly design that way.

I'm starting to read your Margreve posts now. Thanks for sharing your campaign chronicles!

Nebulous

Legend

Which part exactly hitches up your time the most?

Nebulous

Legend
Thanks for the advice! I just recently started backing a couple of Patreons for map makers so I'm hoping that those resources will help speed up my processes.

I have map making software including Dungeondraft but although I enjoy making my own custom maps I find I'm still pretty slow at it. I probably need to practice more so it becomes easier to quickly design that way.

I'm starting to read your Margreve posts now. Thanks for sharing your campaign chronicles!
Ah. I think I see. Making your own amazing maps from SCRATCH is very time intensive, and there is no need. Wonderfully talented artists out there sell them for really cheap, and they put out content weekly. You don't need to push yourself to make your own. It is more fun to take an existing map and layer on your own props and stuff.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases