• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E: The Best and the Worst

Raddra

First Post
Like:
Proficiency is an amazing mechanic that I love that keeps things balanced.

Dislike:
Counterspell: no check, no save, range great enough to span most indoor encounters, shuts down player and enemy spellcasters alike. Feels like a spell tax.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
List two things.

1) Your biggest criticism or dislike of 5E.

2) Your favourite thing about 5E.

Only one of each allowed.

1) The Guidance cantrip. It's the only thing that has annoyed me in practice.

2) The awesome simplicity of the Proficiency Bonus, one stat to rule them all. No more multiple progression tables by class. You don't even need to precalculate your character sheet stats, even tho the vast majority of players still do that out of habit.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
1) During the playtest they toyed with the idea of a shield bash that would cause damage (not just some rando improvised weapon workaround). They took that out, and while I am pleased with the Shield master feat, it could have been so much more.

2) I love, LOVE, how simply it is now to run a game. Compared to when I ran 3e or 4e games, setting up my 5e sessions are a breeze.

Proxxy55

First Post
Like:
Proficiency is an amazing mechanic that I love that keeps things balanced.

Dislike:
Counterspell: no check, no save, range great enough to span most indoor encounters, shuts down player and enemy spellcasters alike. Feels like a spell tax.

That's not entirely true. Counterspell does have a check if you're countering a spell that's a higher level. Granted, it's not a very hard check, but it's there.

Dislike:
It's certainly a tax on available spell slots for the day. Remember, if you're close enough to counter their spell, then they're also close enough to counter your counter. And they aren't expecting another encounter after this one.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
inspiration is so easy to forget when your down the rabbit hole.

I hear you. And most of the people I play with have been playing forever and it's not something they consider. Plus there are SO MANY for a DM to keep track of - a group of six with each having the standard two traits, an ideal, a bond and a flaw is 30 things the DM needs to track.

But I had one DM whom I brought it up at the beginning of the campaign specifically because I wanted to see it and his response was that "we might get inspiration for doing some far and above heroic". So he switched it from about our characters to about his story. Doesn't matter much, he ended up never awarding it even once.

D_E

Explorer
Like: Reasonably simple character creation/leveling rules with few trap options. I had a group of 4 new players, and their lack of system mastery didn't mess anything up.

Dislike: The glacial release schedule. If you happen to not be a huge fan of their current focus (be it the AP format, the intended level range, the settings chosen...) then the game has little to offer you after the core books.

Remove ads