D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

dave2008

Legend
Yeah, initiative is so important on high level fights....perhaps that's a good area to look at monster abilities for future monsters. I know lair actions have auto initiative spots, maybe some boss monsters should as well.
That is something I have thought about. I believe some of my "elite" designs (may be a different thread though) used the 4e mechanic of an action at initiative score +10. Doesn't guarantee going first, but it helps quite a bit.
And yes I do use the legendary actions on Turn 1 regardless of initiative. Also this was the CR 19 variant, I said I was not using the meteor swarm.
Sorry, I misread that.
I do run more low magic campaigns, but my last few campaigns have been in my "living universe", literally my campaigns each affect the next one. The core of this universe is the city of Taranya (which is actually "Sigil" in its most early form, I am playing that the universe is very young by normal standards, so a lot of the standard stuff hasn't happened yet). Taranya is a very high magic city, and the players serve as an expeditionary unit in this campaign (think of Stargate SG-1 if you have ever watched the show).

So for the real key missions like this....I always assume that the player's allies would help them with buffs and magic items, and in this case the bless and aid was due to the death of a god (the entire multiverse is under attack by the Abberations, and the god of civilization Erathis just sacrificed herself to give everyone in the multiverse "bless" and "aid" for the struggle. But at the same time, none of their buffs or items are out of line with facing such high CR creatures, I mean even an 8th level spell is "quaint" in that context. You could probably argue that bless is just such a crazy good buff spell...you are effectively giving 9th level characters the attack and save bonuses of 17th level ones....though without the special abilities and hitpoints.
Sounds cool. I run a "living" multiverse as well, but of course we have been in the same campaign since the beginning of 5e!
Lastly, they aren't as suped up as you might think. Based on "standard treasure hordes" that the DMG recommends, a 9th level party has about ~19k in gold (based on the work done here: D&D 5E - Deconstructing 5e: Typical Wealth by Level). That's about 3-4 rare's worth of magic items. Most of my party only has 1 rare and 1-2 uncommons. The battlemaster has 2 rare's, his +2 armor and +2 shield (with his defense style brings him to the 25 AC). Obviously this is a grain of salt approach, but my party is not flowing with magic items or anything, even compared to a "standard baseline".
We typically run no to very low magic items buffs (we don't typically have magic shops either, and use a silver standard). For example my PCs are all lvl 15, but no one has an item that provides anything greater than a +1 bonus. From my perspective a +2 is supped up ;)
So at the end of the day, I think the key issue for me was the mishandling of Withering Touch....it is actually THE KEY ability of this monster, but I misunderstood it. That literally would have cut the damage many of my players were doing by half or more....not to mention the extra damage they would have taken. So I think the design is fine, things just need a little cleanup. Like I wouldn't call it Withering Touch....it implied the monster had to....you know....touch something (which is why I thought it must be an action), and it made it even stranger when the notion that the effect still worked when I hit the creature with a weapon....aka no touch occurred but the effect still worked. So I just recommend some language cleanup there, the ability is probably fine for a CR 19 (and frankly necessary to make the monster a threat).
The trait seems pretty straight forward to me, but I understand how the name is a bit misleading. I've changed it to Withering Aura for now until I think of a better name.

Stalker0

Legend
The trait seems pretty straight forward to me, but I understand how the name is a bit misleading.
That's why I give you the real world feedback. I mean I critiqued the monster when you first made it, and thought at that time it would be fine....but its amazing as soon as the fight is on and your a DM flipping through pages and answering player questions and XYZ how so much of what you thought was straight forward on the page gets mixed up in the heat of the moment.

I think this is why when people were polled several months ago about difficult monsters to run, spellcasters were always at the top of the list, because that list of spells starts looking really opaque when I'm a few turns in to a combat and just trying to see what the monster can do to eek out some effectiveness.

dave2008

Legend
That's why I give you the real world feedback.
And it is always very much appreciated.
I mean I critiqued the monster when you first made it, and thought at that time it would be fine....but its amazing as soon as the fight is on and your a DM flipping through pages and answering player questions and XYZ how so much of what you thought was straight forward on the page gets mixed up in the heat of the moment.

I think this is why when people were polled several months ago about difficult monsters to run, spellcasters were always at the top of the list, because that list of spells starts looking really opaque when I'm a few turns in to a combat and just trying to see what the monster can do to eek out some effectiveness.
I agree. That is an issue with a lot of these high CR monsters with lots of traits and actions. It can become to much to handle. When I run a major solo/boss type monster I basically spend a whole week's prep on that monster and just improvise everything else so as to reduce my load. I also tend to cut scene before the actually battle if possible (or close to it), so we start the session, or nearly so, with the fight and I am still fresh.

Stalker0

Legend
So I made this Slaad for use in my game last year, and I thought it was time to give it your special treatment, stat block it, clean it up and give it some spit shine. So would welcome feedback, ultimately my goal is to provide that feeling is true chaotic randomness without requiring SO many rolls. What I have done is try to split the DM load between several rolls at the beginning of the fight, and then only a few random rolls during the encounter. But definitely could use thoughts here.

True Slaad
True Slaad are the real children of chaos. Ever shifting, the only thing that unites them is one common purpose....to spread. True Slaad often look like some type of large frog like creature, but no two Slaad look alike. They take on a wide array of colorations and hues, with an ever changing number of limbs. What are more commonly known as Slaadi is actually a variant spawned from a True Slaad, a variant that lost some of its chaotic energy and shifted into more stable color coded forms.

Culture: True Slaad are some of the most fickle creatures in the multiverse, even Demons find them too volatile to work with. As such, True Slaad are normally solitary or in small numbered hunting parties. True Slaad have no true concept of "self", they recognize that they are a separate entity from other creatures, but their thoughts shift so frequently that one realized self is quickly changed to another.

True Slaad
Large Aberration, Chaotic
1600422012789.png

Armor Class 15
Hit Points 170
Speed 30 ft (see Morphic Form)
1600422013849.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
12 (+1)12 (+1)12 (+1)8 (-1)6 (-2)12 (+1)
1600422016852.png

Saves See Children of Chaos
Skills See Children of Chaos
Senses Darkvision 60ft
Languages Slaad, Telepathy 60ft
Challenge 8
1600422018814.png

Ever-Shifting Instinct: At the beginning of an encounter, roll a d6. This determines the True Slaad's behavior for the encounter.
1: Alternate. The DM determines some alternate behavior for the creature.
2 - 5: Spread. The True Slaad will attack a humanoid to spread Chaos Phage, and will switch targets after infection. Non-humanoids are ignored unless they are hostile.
6: Destroy. The True Slaad attempts to kill any non-Slaad creature it can see.

Morphic Form: At the beginning of an encounter, roll a d6 and adjust the True Slaad based on the notes below.
1 - Reduced. Size is reduced by 1 category, and damage is reduced by 1d6.
2 - Enhanced. Size is increased by 1 category, and damage is increased by 1d6.
3 - Swim. Can breathe water and gains a swim speed equal to its speed.
4 - Fly. Has wings and gains a fly speed equal to its speed.
5 - Altered Speed. Add (1d6 - 2) x 5 to the speed.
6 - Roll 2d6 and consult the chart twice.

Entropic Resistance: At the beginning of an encounter, roll a d6 for each chart below twice. The Slaad has resistance to the types selected for the encounter. If a type is selected twice, the Slaad is immune to that damage type.
1 - Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing
2 - Fire
3 - Cold
4 - Acid
5 - Lightning
6 - Reroll. The True Slaad becomes vulnerable to the new result.

1 - Thunder
2 - Force
3 - Psychic
4 - Radiant
5 - Necrotic

Children of Chaos: True Slaad add 1d6 to all attacks, saves, checks, saving throw DCs, and damage rolls (already adjusted).

Regeneration: The True Slaad regains 3d6 hit points at the start of its turn if it has 1 hitpoint. When a True Slaad reaches 0 hitpoint, roll a d6. On a 6, the True Slaad immediately performs regeneration. If the True Slaad gets the maximum result on this special regeneration roll, it instead becomes a Perfect Slaad at full hp.

Enigma: Because a True Slaad is constantly shifting, it is impossible to assess its current abilities through Knowledge checks.

Chaos Phage: While infected with this disease, the target cannot regain hitpoints. After 1d20 days, the target dies and becomes a True Slaad.

ACTIONS
Multiattack:
Make 3 Limb attacks.

Limb. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 +1d6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3d6 bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage. If the target is humanoid, it must make a DC 12 + 1d6 Constitution Saving Throw or be infected with Chaos Phage.

REACTIONS
Surge of Chaos
: When the True Slaad fails a saving throw or takes a critical hit, choose a target within 150 ft. Any 3rd level or lower spell on the target ends (as if hit with Dispel Magic). The target takes 3d6 force damage and must succeed on a DC 12 + 1d6 Constitution Saving Throw or be infected with Chaos Phage.

dave2008

Legend
So I made this Slaad for use in my game last year, and I thought it was time to give it your special treatment, stat block it, clean it up and give it some spit shine. So would welcome feedback, ultimately my goal is to provide that feeling is true chaotic randomness without requiring SO many rolls. What I have done is try to split the DM load between several rolls at the beginning of the fight, and then only a few random rolls during the encounter. But definitely could use thoughts here.

True Slaad
True Slaad are the real children of chaos. Ever shifting, the only thing that unites them is one common purpose....to spread. True Slaad often look like some type of large frog like creature, but no two Slaad look alike. They take on a wide array of colorations and hues, with an ever changing number of limbs. What are more commonly known as Slaadi is actually a variant spawned from a True Slaad, a variant that lost some of its chaotic energy and shifted into more stable color coded forms.

Culture: True Slaad are some of the most fickle creatures in the multiverse, even Demons find them too volatile to work with. As such, True Slaad are normally solitary or in small numbered hunting parties. True Slaad have no true concept of "self", they recognize that they are a separate entity from other creatures, but their thoughts shift so frequently that one realized self is quickly changed to another.

True Slaad
Large Aberration, Chaotic
1600422012789.png

Armor Class 15
Hit Points 170
Speed 30 ft (see Morphic Form)
1600422013849.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
12 (+1)12 (+1)12 (+1)8 (-1)6 (-2)12 (+1)
1600422016852.png

Saves See Children of Chaos
Skills See Children of Chaos
Senses Darkvision 60ft
Languages Slaad, Telepathy 60ft
Challenge 8
1600422018814.png

Ever-Shifting Instinct: At the beginning of an encounter, roll a d6. This determines the True Slaad's behavior for the encounter.
1: Alternate. The DM determines some alternate behavior for the creature.
2 - 5: Spread. The True Slaad will attack a humanoid to spread Chaos Phage, and will switch targets after infection. Non-humanoids are ignored unless they are hostile.
6: Destroy. The True Slaad attempts to kill any non-Slaad creature it can see.

Morphic Form: At the beginning of an encounter, roll a d6 and adjust the True Slaad based on the notes below.
1 - Reduced. Size is reduced by 1 category, and damage is reduced by 1d6.
2 - Enhanced. Size is increased by 1 category, and damage is increased by 1d6.
3 - Swim. Can breathe water and gains a swim speed equal to its speed.
4 - Fly. Has wings and gains a fly speed equal to its speed.
5 - Altered Speed. Add (1d6 - 2) x 5 to the speed.
6 - Roll 2d6 and consult the chart twice.

Entropic Resistance: At the beginning of an encounter, roll a d6 for each chart below twice. The Slaad has resistance to the types selected for the encounter. If a type is selected twice, the Slaad is immune to that damage type.
1 - Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing
2 - Fire
3 - Cold
4 - Acid
5 - Lightning

1 - Thunder
2 - Force
3 - Psychic
4 - Radiant
5 - Necrotic

Children of Chaos: True Slaad add 1d6 to all attacks, saves, checks, saving throw DCs, and damage rolls (already adjusted).

Regeneration: The True Slaad regains 3d6 hit points at the start of its turn if it has 1 hitpoint. When a True Slaad reaches 0 hitpoint, roll a d6. On a 6, the True Slaad immediately performs regeneration. If the True Slaad gets the maximum result on this special regeneration roll, it instead becomes a Perfect Slaad at full hp.

Enigma: Because a True Slaad is constantly shifting, it is impossible to assess its current abilities through Knowledge checks.

Chaos Phage: While infected with this disease, the target cannot regain hitpoints. After 1d20 days, the target dies and becomes a True Slaad.

ACTIONS
Multiattack:
Make 3 Limb attacks.

Limb. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 +1d6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3d6 bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage. If the target is humanoid, it must make a DC 12 + 1d6 Constitution Saving Throw or be infected with Chaos Phage.

REACTIONS
Surge of Chaos
: When the True Slaad fails a saving throw or takes a critical hit, choose a target within 150 ft. Any 3rd level or lower spell on the target ends (as if hit with Dispel Magic). The target takes 3d6 force damage and must succeed on a DC 12 + 1d6 Constitution Saving Throw or be infected with Chaos Phage.
I will take a look and give my feedback, probably tomorrow - I don't feel like thinking tonight

Stalker0

Legend
I got to take the Young Adult Red out for a spin in my adventure today. So I wanted something just a tough higher than the CR 14, but not a full Adult, so I gave the Young Adult the ignite ability on this breath.

That ignite was pretty cool, my players immediately reacted to it, as they had set up a wind wall barrier that was keeping out a lot of other nasty things, so they debated leaving, trying to knock out the fire, even casting create water. It was wonderful to watch how much more tactical the fight was with just that small little addition.

dave2008

Legend
Any thoughts? I may put this creature to work soon so would like to polish it up.
Sorry, I have be really depressed lately and just haven't had the creative energy to review this or make anything of my own. I took the day off work today, so maybe I can take a look at it tonight.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think you could us any of the swarms here as a template. I would keep the swarm traits:

Swarm.
Swarm Reactions.
Swarm Resistance.
Swarm Tactics.
Swarm Vulnerabilities.

I use the AC, speed , attack bonus, ability scores, and special traits (modified as needed) of the parent creature
To determine the size, HP, number attacks/legendary actions I pick a multiple of (4) of the parent creature. And then use that total to determine the HP, size and attacks.

So for an imp, let use a swarm of 16 imps. The is roughly Large size(if the are close together, I might use Huge to give them so room to maneuver),160 HP, and 16 attacks. Give 1/4 of the attacks to its multiattack action and the same for one use of its legendary actions.

So that would get us

Imp Swarm
Huge swarm of tiny fiends, lawful evil
1600422012789.png

Armor Class 13
Hit Points 155 (22d12 + 12)
Speed 20 ft., fly 40 ft.
1600422013849.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
6 (-2)17 (+3)13 (+1)11 (+0)12 (+1)14 (+2)
1600422016852.png

Skills Deception +7, Insight +6, Persuasion +7, Perception +11, Stealth +5
Damage Resistances cold; bludgeoning piercing and slashing
Damage Immunities fire, poison
Condition Immunities poisoned; see Swarm Resistance
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 21
Languages Infernal, Common
Challenge ???
1600422018814.png

Devil’s Sight. Magical darkness doesn’t impede the swarm’s darkvision.

Magic Resistance. The swarm has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Mass Shapechanger (1/day). The swarm can use an action to polymorph into a creature of its size and CR or below. In its new form it has the Str, Dex, Con, traits and abilities of its new form, plus Devil’s sight and Magic Resistance. It can us any action and abilities of its new form, but any actions, checks, or saves that rely on Int, Wis, or Cha use the swarms abilities, not the new forms. Once the new form takes 100 hit points of damage, this effect ends and the swarm reverts back to its original form.

Swarm. The swarm can occupy another creature’s space and vice versa, and the swarm can move through any opening large enough for a Tiny imp. If the swarm is reduced to 115 hit points or less change its size to Large and it loses one use of its legendary actions. If the swarm is reduced to 77 hit points or less change its size to Medium and it loses an additional use of its legendary actions. If the swarm is reduced to 38 hit points or less, choose: 1) replace the swarm with four imps in unoccupied spaces within the former area of the swarm, or 2) keep the current statistics, but remove the Swarm Resistance trait.

Swarm Reactions. The swarm does not have reactions. Whenever a creature moves inside the space of the swarm or out of the space of the swarm, the swarm makes one sting attack with advantage targeting the triggering creature.

Swarm Resistance. The swarm has advantage on saving throws against being blinded, paralyzed, petrified, prone, restrained, or stunned. Additionally, the swarm can use its legendary actions to immediately end one condition or effect it is suffering per legendary action spent.

Swarm Tactics. The swarm has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if it is occupying the same space as the swarm.

Swarm Vulnerabilities. The swarm takes double damage from any attack that have an area of effect.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The swarm makes four sting attacks.

Sting. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4 + 3) piercing damage, and 3 (1d6) poison damage, and the target must make a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one..

Invisibility. The imp swarm magically turns invisible until it attacks or until is concentration ends (as if concentrating on a spell). Any equipment worn or carried by an imp in the swarm or the swarm as a whole is invisible with it.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The swarm can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The swarm regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Move. The swarm moves up to 5 feet.
Multiattack. The swarm makes four sting attacks.

PS: If you want a larger swarm of imps I also have a gargantuan Imp swarm. If you want less, use reduce everything by 1/4 (so 12 imps = 120 HP, 3 attacks per multiattack, etc.)

I hope that helps!
Just looking at this, I like your ideas for swarms. Reducing its size as it takes damage and the swarm reactions and swarm tactics are great ideas that I think I'll add to my own swarm rules.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Sorry, I have be really depressed lately and just haven't had the creative energy to review this or make anything of my own. I took the day off work today, so maybe I can take a look at it tonight.
Dave - I hope things get better for yourself. Take care of yourself and don't worry about this until you feel like you want to do it. Hang in there man. I love your work!!

Remove ads