D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

Gregory Efs

Villager
Is it possible to get the Nightwalker, pretty please? It's amazing how we still don't have one of the most iconic undead in dnd in A5E and this thread is consistently pure gold

dave2008

Legend
Is it possible to get the Nightwalker, pretty please? It's amazing how we still don't have one of the most iconic undead in dnd in A5E and this thread is consistently pure gold
Happy to make one. I will need to do a little research into older versions as I am only familiar with the 5e one. So it will take a little longer, but I think it is an interesting monster.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
1669371375382.png

Nightwalker by Alaiaorax

NightwalkerChallenge 20
Huge undead, ltpically chaotic evil25,000 XP
1599771485172.png

Armor Class 18 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 297 (22d12 + 154; bloodied 148)
Speed 50 ft., fly 50 ft.
1599771486387.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
22 (+6)19 (+4)24 (+7)20 (+5)19 (+4)18 (+4)
1599771488291.png

Saving Throws Dex +10, Con +13
Skills Intimidation + 10, Stealth +16
Damage Resistances acid, fire, lightning, thunder; nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities cold, necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, frightened, grappled, paralyzed, petrofoed, poisoned, prone, restrained
Senses Darkvision 120 ft., Passive Perception 14
Languages --
Proficiency Bonus +6; Maneuver DC 20
1599771489448.png

Life Eater. A creature dies if reduced to 0 hit points by the nightwalker and can’t be revived except by a wish spell.

Limited Magic Immunity. Unless it wishes to be affected, the nightwalker is immune to cantrips. Additionally, it has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against the nightwalker has disadvantage on the attack roll.

Turn Resistance. The nightwalker has advantage on saving throws against any effect that turns undead.

Unusual Nature. Vecna doesn’t require air, food, drink, or sleep.

Void Aura. Any creature that starts its turn within 30 feet of the nightwalker must succeed on a DC 21 Constitution saving throw, or take 14 (4d6) cold damage. Undead are immune to this aura.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The nightwalker makes two Slam attacks.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (3d6 + 6) bludgeoning damage plus 21 (6d6) necrotic damage and if the target is Medium or smaller it must make a DC 20 Strength saving throw or be grappled.

Crush Item The nightwalker attempts to destroy one Large or smaller item in its grasp. Roll a d10 and permanently subtract the result from the items damage roll (weapons), AC (armor), or hit points (items). If this penalty reaches -5, the item is destroyed. Magical items gain a +1 bonus against this attack for each step in rarity above common. Artifacts are immune to this attack.

Vile Gaze. The nightwalker glares at one creature it can see within 300 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 21 Wisdom saving throw or take 55 (10d10) necrotic damage and become frightened until the end of the nightwalker’s next turn. While frightened in this way, the creature is also paralyzed. If a target’s saving throw is successful, the target is immune to the nightwalker’s Gaze for the next 24 hours.

Finger of Doom (1/Rest). The nightwalker points at a creature it can see within 60 feet. The target is wracked with negative energy and must make a DC 21 Constitution saving throw, taking 120 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A humanoid killed by this spell turns into a zombie under the nightwalker's control at the start of the nightwalker's next turn.

Innate Spellcasting. The nightwalker casts one of the following spells requiring no verbal or material components and using Constitution as the spellcasting ability (spell save DC 21):

At will: darkness, detect magic, confusion
3/day each: dispel magic, hold person
1/day: cloud kill

BONUS ACTIONS
Shadow Teleport (Recharge 5-6). As long as it is not in sunlight, the nightwalker teleports, along with any equipment it is wearing or carrying, up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space.

REACTIONS
The nightwalker can take up to two reactions per round but only one per turn. If a condition or effect would prevent the nightwalker from using a reaction, it can make a DC 15 Constitution check, ending the condition or effect on a success at the cost of one of its reactions.

Disarm. If a creature ends its turn grappled by the nightwalker it can attempt to remove one item from it. The creature must make a DC 20 Strength saving throw or have on item: weapon, armor, or item, removed from it. The creature is no longer grappled and falls prone in a space adjacent to the nightwalker.

Fling. One Large or smaller object held or creature grappled by the nightwalker can be thrown up to 60 feet in a random direction and knocked prone. If a thrown target strikes a solid surface, the target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it was thrown. If the target is thrown at another creature, that creature must succeed on a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone.

Spiteful Rebuke. In response to being hit by an attack, the nightwalker curses the attacker, dealing 10 (3d6) necrotic damage and the attacker must make a DC 21 Wisdom saving throw or it gains a level of fatigue.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
OK, as many of you know I really like dragons. So every 12-24 months I get the itch to revise my take on dragons. I am getting that itch again. My initial reason to revise my dragons was that I think they are too complex. I want to find a way to make them interesting and dangerous foes without being so cumbersome. So, are you interested in seeing a new take on dragons?

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
OK, as many of you know I really like dragons. So every 12-24 months I get the itch to revise my take on dragons. I am getting that itch again. My initial reason to revise my dragons was that I think they are too complex. I want to find a way to make them interesting and dangerous foes without being so cumbersome. So, are you interested in seeing a new take on dragons?
Will they replace the current iteration? Or be another variant? I like your current version of the Chromatic Dragons but I also love having plenty of variant options so that each dragon I make can be more unique even if they are of the same sub-species.

Also do you plan on making Metallic and Gem dragons as well?

dave2008

Legend
Will they replace the current iteration? Or be another variant? I like your current version of the Chromatic Dragons but I also love having plenty of variant options so that each dragon I make can be more unique even if they are of the same sub-species.

Also do you plan on making Metallic and Gem dragons as well?
My original plan was to replace them; however, I did think about have two versions. That just seems like to much and to confusion. I could put the old version behind a spoiler or maybe put the new versions on there own thread. I will have to think about it.

I would like to do the metallic dragons and had plan on doing them with the current version. I was just a bit burned out after completing the chromatics and never went back to do the metallics. I think these new ones will be simpler so hopefully quicker to update and create new ones. That should make it more likely I get to the metallics. I am not sure about the gem dragons. I never used them before and they have never been part of the worlds I've created. That beings said, Fizban's did make me what to give them a go.

I am also interested in making the catastrophic dragons and linnorms too.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
My original plan was to replace them; however, I did think about have two versions. That just seems like to much and to confusion. I could put the old version behind a spoiler or maybe put the new versions on there own thread. I will have to think about it.

I would like to do the metallic dragons and had plan on doing them with the current version. I was just a bit burned out after completing the chromatics and never went back to do the metallics. I think these new ones will be simpler so hopefully quicker to update and create new ones. That should make it more likely I get to the metallics. I am not sure about the gem dragons. I never used them before and they have never been part of the worlds I've created. That beings said, Fizban's did make me what to give them a go.

I am also interested in making the catastrophic dragons and linnorms too.
I understand if it would be easier to just maintain one set of the chromatic dragons for ease of use in the thread. I can just save the info on a Google doc when I’m next able to.

I’d love to see you tackle the Catastrophic Dragons! Their Aura abilities were so interesting and fun to use and it will be cool to see how you design transfer over those mechanics of 5e. Linnorms would be cool too.

dave2008

Legend
I understand if it would be easier to just maintain one set of the chromatic dragons for ease of use in the thread. I can just save the info on a Google doc when I’m next able to.

I’d love to see you tackle the Catastrophic Dragons! Their Aura abilities were so interesting and fun to use and it will be cool to see how you design transfer over those mechanics of 5e. Linnorms would be cool too.
I think I am going to save them in some capacity. I've already started on work on the new red so the old is behind a spoiler

Remove ads