D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

dave2008

Legend
You forgot vulnerability to bludgening (which I btw think you should drop, instead let your skeletons be resistant to both piercing and slashing). There's some other proofreading needed here and there, but no big deals.
I was already think of dropping the vulnerability, so I might to that. I just added it because that is what skeletons have in the 5e MM. I already gave Dragotha resistance to piercing damage, but I don't plan to extend that to slashing.
I like him stat-wise, I think, but at the same time I can't feel Dragotha in the stat block. I'm having a hard time pinpointing what it is, but he somehow doesn't feel speciel.
Yep, I had a similar feeling too. One thing I wanted to add is a gaze attack that Dragohta had in 3.5e & 4e. Not sure that is enough to make it "feel" like Dragotha though. I may have to go back and look at Age of Worms and see if there is anything there to help.
I don't like that he's easier to kill now that he lost Dragon Scales, and didn't really get anything like it in return.
I do though. I want a dracolich to be weaker than a dragon. Dragons see become a lich as a curse and weakness, IMO. Now, it can cast shield at will so it basically has a +5 buff to AC.

Basically, what a dragon gets from lichdom is undead immortality in exchange for a withering of its body and elemental vigor. It is not a boon for a dragon

PS - I forgot to give Dragotha magic resistance as well.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I've updated Dragotha. I tried to add some more of its 3.5e flavor back with a quickened breath and paralyzing gaze. I also cleaned up a few things.

I think it probably needs one more pass to be finished, but that is for another day.

I like it better. Not sure I'm keen on the quick breath meaning there will be no breath the rest of the encounter, espcially combined with:
Necroctic Beam. Dragotha exhales a beam of necrotic energy in a 300-foot line that is 5 feet wide. The first creature in the line must make a DC 25 Dexterity saving throw, taking 260 (40d12) necrotic damage or half as much damage on a successful one. Additionally, each creature within a 20-foot radius of the initial target must make a DC 25 Dexterity saving throw, taking 33 (6d10) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A creature reduced to 0 hit points by this attack dies and is burned to a pile of ash.
So only one target suffer the full effect? Otherwise, it's not clearly worded. If more than one creature are affected, should it be "each creature in the line", and then "each creature within a 20-foot radius of the first target..."?
If only one target, and no more breath weapon for the encounter, will old D. ever use the quick breat line attack, I wonder.

dave2008

Legend
I like it better.
Great!
Not sure I'm keen on the quick breath meaning there will be no breath the rest of the encounter, espcially combined with:

So only one target suffer the full effect? Otherwise, it's not clearly worded. If more than one creature are affected, should it be "each creature in the line", and then "each creature within a 20-foot radius of the first target..."?
If only one target, and no more breath weapon for the encounter, will old D. ever use the quick breat line attack, I wonder.
Quick Breath doesn't work with Necrotic Beam, only Necrotic Breath as stated in Quicken Breath. Yes, quicken breath comes at a cost. In 3.5e it increased the recharge time by 4 rounds, which was essential until the next encounter. I use 10 minute short rest, so it wasn't such a big deal to me, but I might clarify that.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases