D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

dave2008

Legend
Is there any difference between elite and mythic?
Not really, I explained it a bit in this post when I discussed adopting some of the LevelUp standards. Basically "Mythic" is not OGL / SRD so LevelUp is going with the "Elite" name and keying the transformation off the first time the Elite is bloodied. Also, there are a few things I have also assumed with the Mythic trait that are not actually stated. So, I feel better about actually putting those in the elite trait without feeling like I am betraying the "standard."

Stalker0

Legend
For spells. Its worth highlighting divine word, shield, and counter spell…as those are bonus and reactions, and so I would consider them a solid part of Tiamats Arsenal.

i get the idea of using the breath weapon mechanic from each dragon but it’s awe fully wordy right now. It may make sense to condense the mechanics a bit, something like (and this just shorthand I’m not detailing it out):

Breath weapon (2 actions): choose a breath weapon below, each one can only used once per round. Each breath does 150 (made up for example would not balancing) damage, has a DC 27 saving throw, and removes all 9th level or lower spells.

red: 160 foot cone fire damage. Reflex save for half or incapacitated for 1 round.

green: 180 foot cone poison damage. Constitution save for half or poisoned for 1 minute.

etc etc. I didn’t use proper language but I think you get the gist. This means less for the dm to remember as they switch head to head.

Stalker0

Legend
I’m curious when you say push 60 if you do mean the full 60 or it’s “up to 60”

if Tiamat has control over the push distance gives more potential to knock one pc adjacent to another, allowing for double hit follow up attacks.

dave2008

Legend
i get the idea of using the breath weapon mechanic from each dragon but it’s awe fully wordy right now. It may make sense to condense the mechanics a bit, something like (and this just shorthand I’m not detailing it out):

Breath weapon (2 actions): choose a breath weapon below, each one can only used once per round. Each breath does 150 (made up for example would not balancing) damage, has a DC 27 saving throw, and removes all 9th level or lower spells.

red: 160 foot cone fire damage. Reflex save for half or incapacitated for 1 round.

green: 180 foot cone poison damage. Constitution save for half or poisoned for 1 minute.

etc etc. I didn’t use proper language but I think you get the gist. This means less for the dm to remember as they switch head to head.
I understand your point and it is the logical thing to do; but I am not about to all logical in my love for Tiamat. I gotta go with my gut. ;)

dave2008

Legend
I’m curious when you say push 60 if you do mean the full 60 or it’s “up to 60”

if Tiamat has control over the push distance gives more potential to knock one pc adjacent to another, allowing for double hit follow up attacks.
Yes, I mean "up to," I didn't see a 60-foot push, but I corrected the 30-foot push.

dave2008

Legend
I am trying to go back and clean up some unfinished business. So, I give you the Sovereign Beasts. I still think they need some work, but I would love to hear what others think. I was trying to evoke the "gods" from Princess Mononoke, but when you get down to it they were just intelligent giant beasts. Which I really liked in the movie, but I couldn't really evoke the spirit guardian beast vibe I was going for, or really unite them in one group. Any ideas are welcome.

dave2008

Legend
1629029209517.png

Cougar Painting by Atropicus

CougarChallenge 1/2
Medium beast, unaligned100 XP
1599650427721.png

Armor Class 14
Hit Points 38 (6d8 + 12; bloodied 19)
Speed 40 ft.
1599650428889.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
17 (+3)18 (+4)14 (+2)3 (-4)12 (+1)10 (+0)
1599650429851.png

Saving Throws Dex +6, Wis +3
Skills Athletics +5, Perception +3, Stealth +8
Senses Darkvision 120 ft., Passive Perception 13
Languages --
Proficiency Bonus +2 Maneuver DC 13
1599650430830.png

Feline Speed (2/ Short Rest). When the cougar takes the Dash action it can move at 4 times its speed (160 ft.) during this movement.

Keen Senses. The cougar has advantage on Wisdom (Perception).

Pounce. If the tiger moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Standing Leap. The cougar's long jump is up to 30 feet and its high jump is up to 15 feet, with or without a running start.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The cougar makes two claw attacks.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) slashing damage. Additionally, if the cougar hits the same target with two claw attacks on the same turn, the target is also grappled.

BONUS ACTIONS
Feline Agility.
The cougar takes the Dash or Disengage action.

Throat Bite. The cougar can make a bite attack against a prone creature or a creature it has grappled.

REACTIONS
Rake.
If a creature ends its turn grappled by the cougar, the cougar can make a claw attack against the creature.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
1629193090931.png

Caress of the Elder Brain by Elderbrain_com (copyright Elderbrain_com)

God Brain of Bluetspur
Elite Gargantuan aberration , lawful evil
1598896179798.png

Armor Class 10
Hit Points 696 ((24d20 + 96)x2; bloodied 348)
Speed 5 ft., swim 10 ft.
1598896181433.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
18 (+4)10 (+0)18 (+4)22 (+6)16 (+3)25 (+7)
1598896182723.png

Saving Throws Str +10, Int +12, Wis +9, Cha+13
Skills Arcana +12, Deception +13, Insight +15, Intimidation +13, Persuasion +13
Damage Resistances cold, necrotic, psychic
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed
Senses blindsight 240 ft., passive perception 13
Languages Common, Deep Speech, Telepathy 10 miles, Undercommon understands but can’t speak
Challenge 19 (44,000 elite XP) Proficiency Bonus +6
1598896186606.png

Creature Sense. The god brain is aware of the presence of creatures within 10 miles of it that have an Intelligence score of 4 or higher. It knows the distance and direction to each creature, as well as each one’s Intelligence score, but can’t sense anything else about it. A creature protected by a mind blank spell, a nondetection spell, or similar magic can’t be perceived in this manner.

DarkLord (EliteTrait, recharges after a Rest). When the god brain is first bloodied, all conditions and effects it is suffering end for it, it recharges all of its abilities, and he can use its Elite Actions.

Empowered Mind. When the god brain uses psionics to cast a spell, the range of the spell is doubled and if the spell causes damage, the god brain adds 6 psychic damage to the damage roll (included in the attack).

Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If the god brain fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance. The god brain has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Telepathic Hub. The god brain can use its telepathy to initiate and maintain telepathic conversations with up to ten creatures at a time. The god brain can let those creatures telepathically hear each other while connected in this way.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The god brain makes two tentacle attacks.

Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 60 ft., one target. Hit: 22 (4d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a Huge or smaller creature, it is grappled (escape DC 15) and takes 10 (1d8 + 6) psychic damage at the start of each of its turns until the grapple ends. The elder brain can have up to eight targets grappled at a time.

Mind Blast (Recharge 5–6). The god brain magically emits psychic energy. Creatures of the elder brain’s choice within 120 feet of it must succeed on a DC 20 Intelligence saving throw or take 50 (8d10 + 6) psychic damage and be stunned for 1 minute. A target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Mind Sliver. The god brain selects a creature within 120 feet of it. The creature must make a DC 20 Intelligence saving throw, taking 17 (5d6) psychic damage and subtracting 1d4 from the next saving throw it takes before the end of the god brain's next turn on a failure.

Innate Spellcasting (Psionics). The god brain’s innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 20). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no components:

At will: clairvoyance, detect thoughts, levitate, mage hand, mind sliver (See Actions), Tasha's Mind Whip
3/day each: banishment, bigby's hand, confusion, fear, scrying, telekinesis
1/day each: dominate monster, feeblemind, time stop

Psychic Link.
The god brain targets one incapacitated creature it can perceive with its Creature Sense trait and establishes a psychic link with that creature. Until the psychic link ends, the god brain can perceive everything the target senses. The target becomes aware that something is linked to its mind once it is no longer incapacitated, and the god brain can terminate the link at any time (no action required). The target can use an action on its turn to attempt to break the psychic link, doing so with a successful DC 18 Charisma saving throw. On a successful save, the target takes 10 (3d6) psychic damage. The psychic link also ends if the target and the god brain are more than 10 miles apart, with no consequences to the target. The god brain can form psychic links with up to ten creatures at a time.

Sense Thoughts. The god brain targets a creature with which it has a psychic link. The god brain gains insight into the target’s reasoning, its emotional state, and thoughts that loom large in its mind (including things the target worries about, loves, or hates). The god brain can also make a Charisma (Deception) check with advantage to deceive the target’s mind into thinking it believes one idea or feels a particular emotion. The target contests this attempt with a Wisdom (Insight) check. If the god brain succeeds, the mind believes the deception for 1 hour or until evidence of the lie is presented to the target.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The god brain can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. It can use one legendary action option at the end of another creatures turn and any unused legendary actions at the end of the round. The god brain regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn

Tentacle. The god brain makes a tentacle attack.
Break Concentration. The god brain targets a creature within 240 feet of it with which it has a psychic link. The god brain breaks the creature’s concentration on a spell it has cast. The creature also takes 1d6 psychic damage per level of the spell.
Psychic Pulse. The god brain targets a creature within 240 feet of it with which it has a psychic link. Enemies of the god brain within 30 feet of that creature take 14 (4d6) psychic damage.
Sever Psychic Link. The god brain targets a creature within 240 feet of it with which it has a psychic link. The god brain ends the link, causing the creature to have disadvantage on all ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws until the end of the creature’s next turn.

ELITE ACTIONS
If the god brain’s elite trait is active, it can use the options below as legendary actions for 1 hour after using Darklord.

Consume Tadpoles. The god brain regains 20 hit points.
Fevered mind (Costs 2 Actions). The god brain casts a spell.
Extract (Cost 2 Actions). The god brain tries to remove the brain of one creature it has grappled. The creature must make a DC 15 saving throw or its brain is removed and it dies.
Summon Flayers (Cost 3 Actions). The god brain teleports 2d10 mind flayers within 10 miles of it to unoccupied spaces within 30 feet of it.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
1629906060272.png

Hatred by NanFe (copyright Nan Fe)

Ivana Boritsi
Elite Medium humanoid (human), neutral evil
1599771485172.png

Armor Class 12
Hit Points 62 ((7d8) x 2; bloodied 31)
Speed 30 ft.
1599771486387.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
10 (+0)15 (+2)10 (+0)17 (+3)14 (+2)16 (+3)
1599771488291.png

Saving Throws Dex +4, Int +5
Skills deception +5, insight +4, investigation +5, perception +6, persuasion +5, sleight of hand +4, stealth +4
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses Passive Perception 16
Languages Common, Goblin
Challenge 1 (400 elite XP) Proficiency Bonus +2
1599771489448.png

DarkLord (EliteTrait, recharges after a Rest). When Ivana is first bloodied, all conditions and effects she is suffering end for her and she can use her Elite Actions.

Sneak Attack (1/Turn). Ivana deals an extra 7 (2d6) damage when she hits a target with a weapon attack and has advantage on the attack roll, or when the target is within 5 feet of her ally that isn't incapacitated and Ivana doesn't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. Ivana makes two melee attacks.

Shortsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage plus 3 (1d6) poison damage

Hand Crossbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage plus 3 (1d6) poison damage.

BONUS ACTIONS
Cunning Action. Ivana can take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
Ivana can take 2 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. She can use one legendary action option at the end of another creatures turn and any unused legendary actions at the end of the round. Ivana regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn

Cunning Reaction. Ivana takes the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
Attack (Costs 2 Actions). Ivana makes a Shortsword or Hand Crossbow attack.
Potion (Costs 2 Actions). Ivana uses one of the following potions. Ivana can use each one no more than once per day unless she has at least 10 minutes to resupply in her laboratory:
  • Acid Flask. Viktra hurls a flask of acid. Ranged Weapon Attack. +4 to hit, range 10/30 ft., one target. Hit. 7 (2d6) acid damage.
  • Flying. Ivana gains a flight speed of 30 ft. for 1 hr.
  • Healing. Ivana regains 7 (2d4 +2) hit points.

ELITE ACTIONS
If Ivana's elite trait is active, she can use the options below as legendary actions for 1 hour after using Darklord.

Alchemist’s Fire (1/Day). Ivana throws a flask of alchemist’s fire. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 10/30 ft., one target. Hit. 4 (1d8) fire damage, can't take reactions until the end of its next turn, and the target takes the same damage at the start of each of it’s turns. A creature can end this damage by using its action to make a DC 15 Dexterity check to extinguish the flames.
Curse of Boritsi (Cost 2 actions). Ivana releases a poisonous mist that spreads to a 20-foot radius around her. Each creature in the mist must make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw, taking 7 (2d6) poison damage and be poisoned on failed save

Last edited:

Remove ads