D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

dave2008

Legend
1632054283764.png

Nereid by Benjamin Karr

UNDINE
Source: @the Jester

An undine is a water fey that looks like a beautiful. Blue-skinned, elfin-featured woman garbed in a swirling dress made of water. Usually friendly if approached with respect, the undine is as flighty and unpredictable as water itself, and is usually encountered in or near running water. If her wrath is aroused, her enemies will discover, to their chagrin, that she can use the water itself as a weapon- and if no other water is available, she can use the water she is wearing.

Keeper of Watery Secrets. An undine is usually aware of several underwater caves, areas hidden behind waterfalls, concealed coves, and similar areas. Sometimes, one will know the location of shipwrecks, submerged cities or dungeons, or lost treasures. However, the fickle undine's favor must usually be earned before it will reveal its knowledge. It might want an enemy or a local predator that it fears destroyed, a gift of pearls or shells, or some other desire fulfilled to share such information. Often, a bargain with an undine involves fulfilling some kind of whimsical or childish whim.

Undine Treasure. An undine's lair is 40% likely each to have 1d10 gems (often pearls) and 1d6 pieces of jewelry, and 15% likely each to have 1d2 pieces of magical jewelry (1-3) or miscellaneous magic items (4-6).

UndineChallenge 1
Medium fey, chaotic neutral200 XP
1599771485172.png

Armor Class 14 (water armor)
Hit Points 21 (6d6; bloodied 10)
Speed 30 ft., swim 50 ft.
1599771486387.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
8 (-1)13 (+1)10 (+0)12 (+1)13 (+1)15 (+2)
1599771488291.png

Saving Throws Dex +5, Wis +4
Skills Acrobatics +3, Athletics +1
Damage Resistances fire
Damage Immunities cold
Senses passive Perception 11
Languages Aquan, Sylvan
Proficiency Bonus +2; Maneuver DC 11
1599771489448.png

Aquatic. The undine can breathe both air and water.

Green Eyes. The undine can see twice as far underwater and has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight underwater.

Water Mistress. The undine is unaffected by currents, rapids, or other hazards caused by or composed of water.

ACTIONS
Rush of Water.
The undine chooses one creature it can see within 60 feet of it and unleashes a barrage of water at it. The target must make a DC 12 Strength saving throw, taking 14 (4d6) bludgeoning damage and be moved up to 20 feet in a direction of the undine's choice on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

REACTIONS
Watery Wrath (1/Day).
When the undine first becomes bloodied, it can immediately use Rush of Water against up to three different targets.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Thank you to @the Jester for letting me repost his fey conversions that they posted over at @Sword of Spirit 's thread: Anyone converted previous edition Fey? I hope to add some artwork soon, and maybe make a few tweaks, but here you go:

Brownie (standard, CR 1/2) by @the Jester
Fossergrim (standard, CR 2) by @the Jester
Nymph (standard, CR 4) by @the Jester
Oread (standard, CR 4) by @the Jester
Spriggan (standard, CR 1) by @the Jester
Spriggan Enforcer (standard, CR 3) by @the Jester
Sylph (standard, CR 4) by @the Jester
Undine (standard, CR 1) by @the Jester

PS. I have a few more Fey linked in the OP

the Jester

Legend
Thank you to @the Jester for letting me repost his fey conversions that they posted over at @Sword of Spirit 's thread: Anyone converted previous edition Fey? I hope to add some artwork soon, and maybe make a few tweaks, but here you go:

Brownie (standard, CR 1/2) by @the Jester
Fossergrim (standard, CR 2) by @the Jester
Nymph (standard, CR 4) by @the Jester
Oread (standard, CR 4) by @the Jester
Spriggan (standard, CR 1) by @the Jester
Spriggan Enforcer (standard, CR 3) by @the Jester
Sylph (standard, CR 4) by @the Jester
Undine (standard, CR 1) by @the Jester

PS. I have a few more Fey linked in the OP
Glad to, and thanks for all your hard work in this thread!

Stalker0

Legend
Nymph
Source: 1e Monster Manual (conversion by @the Jester)
This one is a very interesting design. Normally something with this few hitpoints would be a speedbump, but the nymph possesses very strong defensive powers, and having DC 19 saves at that CR is almost unheard of, creating a truly challenging threat. I would expect any nymph that actually felt in danger would disrobe as a free action (I mean that outfit is basically made for that), and so that gaze aura is truly powerful.

So my one issue I think Unearthly beauty won't get used too much because of wary parties, so I had this idea. What if instead of stunning glance, you had something like Persuasive Chant.... a person that fails the save is forced to look at the nymph and then subject to unearthly beauty. I think that's very in flavor with the "enchantress esque" nature of the lore, and it ensures your big guns get used. At the same time, it gives players two saves before they get hit with the big effect so they have a more sporting chance.

dave2008

Legend
This one is a very interesting design. Normally something with this few hitpoints would be a speedbump, but the nymph possesses very strong defensive powers, and having DC 19 saves at that CR is almost unheard of, creating a truly challenging threat. I would expect any nymph that actually felt in danger would disrobe as a free action (I mean that outfit is basically made for that), and so that gaze aura is truly powerful.

So my one issue I think Unearthly beauty won't get used too much because of wary parties, so I had this idea. What if instead of stunning glance, you had something like Persuasive Chant.... a person that fails the save is forced to look at the nymph and then subject to unearthly beauty. I think that's very in flavor with the "enchantress esque" nature of the lore, and it ensures your big guns get used. At the same time, it gives players two saves before they get hit with the big effect so they have a more sporting chance.
It is definitely an interesting challenge. Jester used Wisdom for its saves, but I thought why they heck wouldn't it be Charisma based. It was the only way I could see to justify the CR. I also added a fewer other tweaks.

I like the persuasive chant idea a lot. I will get that added in some form.

dave2008

Legend
I added "Luring Song." Let me know what you think. I worry it may be to strong.

Stalker0

Legend
I added "Luring Song." Let me know what you think. I worry it may be to strong.
Yeah as much as I would also want it to be all party members, I think that is just too strong with these high a DC. there's too much risk the entire party could be knocked unconscious in 1 round.

As a middle ground, make it 1 target but as a bonus action.

Also I think it should be a wisdom save, this screams willpower to me.

dave2008

Legend
Yeah as much as I would also want it to be all party members, I think that is just too strong with these high a DC. there's too much risk the entire party could be knocked unconscious in 1 round.

As a middle ground, make it 1 target but as a bonus action.

Also I think it should be a wisdom save, this screams willpower to me.
I changed it to a Wisdom save, but I just couldn't bring myself to limit it to one person. Instead I simply made it force the creatures to look at the nymph until the end of their next turn. So they will get another save chance save. So they have to fail twice before anything bad happens. That may not be enough, so I still need to think about it some.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I changed it to a Wisdom save, but I just couldn't bring myself to limit it to one person. Instead I simply made it force the creatures to look at the nymph until the end of their next turn. So they will get another save chance save. So they have to fail twice before anything bad happens. That may not be enough, so I still need to think about it some.
Perhaps make it similar to the Medusa's gaze attack where the worst effect is if you fail by 5 or more?

dave2008

Legend
Unearthly Beauty. A humanoid that starts its turn within 30 feet of the nymph and doesn't avert its eyes must make a DC 19 Constitution save or be blinded. The creature can make another saving throw, with disadvantage, every 24 hours after it was initially blinded, ending the condition on itself on a success. If the nymph is nude, a creature that fails its save by 5 or more is also knocked unconscious for 1 hour. A creature that is immune to the charmed condition is immune to this effect.
Perhaps make it similar to the Medusa's gaze attack where the worst effect is if you fail by 5 or more?
That is already the case for Unearthly Beauty (see above), or where you suggesting I add that to Luring Song as well? I may just try that. That means you would have to fail a DC 14 check twice for the worst effect.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases