D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

Gregory Efs

Villager
@Gregory Efs , I was saving that for the ultimate inevitable the Marut. However, I could entertain adding it to the others too. There would be a trade-off in reduced damage however. Do you think that is worth it? There is something cool and thematic about auto damage.
I am a man of Lore>Flavor>Mechanics, so to the extent you agree with that hierarchy, yeah, I definitely believe reduced damage is worth making them thematically unique

Gregory Efs

Villager
Isn't that a creature that was new for 5e? I remember it have 3 forms or stages or something.
It is indeed

Its creature type is ooze, it has 3 maturation stages which it reaches as it consumes memories, personalities, everything that makes you yourself

When you are nothing but an empty husk, it eats you and spits out a copy of you, connected to the original body through a tendril. That copy can then lure more people to the Oblex's lair, Which may be for example an inn, eating people from the inside out psychically in their dreams, trying to convince them to stay just enough, remove their will first, then everything else

I... am not sure if you only redesign monsters with super cool features from previous editions that were subsequently removed. If so, makes sense (restore them to their former glory through less work), and feel free to delete my request or tell me to delete it if you can't

I just really love what you're doing on this board so am bringing to you my favorite monsters that I believe their stat block does them a disservice

P.S. Do you have a patreon, or would you be willing to be commissioned at a certain rate to do a certain list of monsters?

dave2008

Legend
I... am not sure if you only redesign monsters with super cool features from previous editions that were subsequently removed. If so, makes sense (restore them to their former glory through less work), and feel free to delete my request or tell me to delete it if you can't
Yes, that is typically what I do: update monsters that haven't made the jump to 5e or bring back some lost flavor from older editions to ones that have been converted. However, I am not adverse to just making a monster more interesting!

EDIT: Also, this was originally going to be higher CR monsters 10+, but I have expanded since then.
I just really love what you're doing on this board so am bringing to you my favorite monsters that I believe their stat block does them a disservice
Thanks!
P.S. Do you have a patreon, or would you be willing to be commissioned at a certain rate to do a certain list of monsters?
I don't, but I might get something set up in the future. If I had more time I would definitely organize something, but this is a hobby and I am pretty busy with my "job" at the moment. ;)

PS - I am low on oozes so I can give the Oblex a look.

dave2008

Legend
1670976702491.png

Hook Horror Monster by RussellMarks

Hook HorrorChallenge 3
Large monstrosity, neutral700 XP
1599771485172.png

Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 75 (10d10 + 20; bloodied 37)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
1599771486387.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
18 (+4)10 (+0)15 (+2)6 (-2)12 (+1)7 (-2)
1599771488291.png

Saving Throws Dex +2, Con + 4
Skills Athletics +6, Perception +3, Stealth +2
Senses blindsight 90 ft., darkvision 120 ft., Passive Perception 13
Languages Hook Horror
Proficiency Bonus +2; Maneuver DC 14
1599771489448.png

Echolocation. The hook horror can’t use its blindsight while deafened.

Keen Hearing. The hook horror has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing.

Surprise Attack. If the hook horror surprises a creature and hits it with an attack during the first round of combat, the target takes an extra 7 (2d6) damage from the attack.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The hook horror makes two hook attacks. It can replace on hook attack with a bite attack.

Hook. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage. If the hook horror hits s Large or smaller target with two hook attacks on the same turn, it is automatically grappled.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one grappled or incapacitated target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage.

BONUS ACTIONS
Shove.
A creature grappled by the hook horror must make a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone or pushed 10 feet, the hook horror's choice.

REACTIONS
Savage Bite.
The hook horror makes a bite attack against a creature it has grappled.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
1670976799080.png

Manticore Concept by RussellMarks

Androphagos (manticore)Challenge 7
Large monstrosity, typically lawful evil2,900 XP
1599771485172.png

Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 105 (10d10 + 50; bloodied 52)
Speed 50 ft., fly 60 ft.
1599771486387.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
22 (+6)16 (+3)20 (+5)10 (+0)12 (+1)12 (+1)
1599771488291.png

Saving Throws Dex +6, Con + 8
Skills Athletics +9, Intimidation +4, Perception +7
Senses darkvision 90 ft., Passive Perception 17
Languages Common
Proficiency Bonus +3; Maneuver DC 17
1599771489448.png

Brute. A melee weapon deals one extra die of its damage when the androphagos hits with it (included in the attack).

Flyby. The androphagus doesn’t provoke an opportunity attack when it flies out of an enemy’s reach.

Monstrous Speed (2/ Short Rest). When the androphagos takes the Dash action it can move at 4 times its speed (200 ft./240) during this movement.

Maneater. The androphagos has advantage on attacks that target Humanoids.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The androphagos makes two Claw attacks. It can replace one attack with a Tail Sting attack.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (3d8 + 6) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (3d6 + 6) slashing damage and the target must make a DC 17 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone or pushed 10 feet, the androphagos's choice.

Tail Sting. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (3d4+ 6) piercing damage plus 7 (2d6) poison damage and the target is poisoned for 1 minute. While poisoned in this way a creature must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On each failure the creature gains one level of exhaustion. The creature can recover one level of exhaustion for each long rest it takes.

Mauling Pounce (Recharge 5-6). The androphagos moves up to its speed without provoking opportunity attacks, and it can make one Claw attack against each creature it moves past.

BONUS ACTIONS
Monstrous Charge (Recharge 5-6).
The androphagus can take the Dash action.

Vicious Bite. The androphagos can make a bite attack against a prone or incapacitated creature.

REACTIONS
Sting.
When a creature attempts to move out of the androphagos's reach, it can make a Tail Sting attack targeting the creature. On a hit, the creature's speed is also reduced to 0 until the start of its next turn.

Last edited:

@dave2008 some sort of grappling effect for the hooks definitely seems appropriate. However, roll for one hook and autosuccess for two hooks is a bit janky due how timing of attacks technically works. They're resolved individually, so at the point first attack lands, you don't know whether the second does. Easy to gloss over in practice and just resolve them simultaneously though.

dave2008

Legend
@dave2008 some sort of grappling effect for the hooks definitely seems appropriate. However, roll for one hook and autosuccess for two hooks is a bit janky due how timing of attacks technically works. They're resolved individually, so at the point first attack lands, you don't know whether the second does. Easy to gloss over in practice and just resolve them simultaneously though.
Would you suggest eliminating the save or the auto-grapple? The save is more 5e, but the double hit / auto-grapple is more traditional

Remove ads