D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

It can only use its bite on a grappled or incapacitated target. So if it wants to use its bite, it needs to grapple a target. This is what i have been doing lately instead of adding bonus actions. Should I make the bite do more damage to mike that a more enticing option?
I missed the condition for using the bite. So it's fine. But since it's not a given it wil be able to use it, should it be even more fearful? I mean, so that players really don't want to be grappled. Maybe it requires two saves or something a la 4e to get rid of the poison effect, and/or poison resistance doesn't apply.

dave2008

Legend
I missed the condition for using the bite. So it's fine. But since it's not a given it wil be able to use it, should it be even more fearful? I mean, so that player's really don't want to be grappled. Maybe it requires two saves or something a la 4e to get rid of the poison effect, and/or poison resistance doesn't apply.
I revised the pit fiend to make the bite attack a reaction to being grappled. Let me know what you think.

dave2008

Legend
Better. But there's high demand for the Pit Fiend's reactions (unstopable, maneuvers, parry, and now bite), while it has nothing(?) to spend a bonus action on.
But absolutely serviceable. :)
Commander's strike uses a bonus action and none of the manuevers use the pit fiend's reaction, so I don't really think it is overstressed. I just has to choose between unstoppable, parry and bite for its reaction, but I can think about it.

Bonus actions are strange because your not supposed to have them, unless you do. So you don't have a bonus action to spend unless you have trait that provides one. At least that was the intent, but it seems it got away from WotC a bit.

TheBoredGM

Beneath our modern banality, we're just savages.
Yep, I like it too. However, I see it more as chaotic thing that a demon would do rather than something a devil general would do. I gave it some leader maneuvers, but I intentionally left that 4e ability out because it didn't feel right to me (for a pit fiend). Maybe I am over thinking it.
Yet it seems less logical for a balor. They have no metaphysical power over lesser demons. And no respect for authority.

TheBoredGM

Beneath our modern banality, we're just savages.
I like the idea of this one, just because Hell is often described with hordes of devils, so this makes it an easy one to use. My initial reaction is, while yes on paper this is a CR 21....I think realistically its going to be a lot lower. The creature doesn't have a lot of hitpoints if you have ways around its resistance (which at 20th level you absolutely should). Its damage can be majorly reduced by resistances (and the creature's attacks aren't even considered magical....so there are a lot of options at this point)....and it doesn't have any big mobility options to escape the multitude of control effects at this level.

So I think its CR is probably more like 18 or 19 when it actually hits the field.
But are we treating it like each player is a CR 20 monster? Or that the whole party makes CR 20? IMO it should be treated as the former for the purpose of greater challenge.

dave2008

Legend
But are we treating it like each player is a CR 20 monster? Or that the whole party makes CR 20? IMO it should be treated as the former for the purpose of greater challenge.
It is based on the encounter guidelines. The CR, especially at high level, is not really relevant to compare to party level, whether it is one PC or the whole party. The important part is the XP budget. Of course, the "deadliness" of the encounter factors into that as well, but we really shouldn't be in the mindset of comparing CR to PC level. IMO, doing that leads to bad habits and misinformation, especially at high level.

Last edited:

Remove ads