D&D 5E 5th ed D&D general impressions from a new player and DM.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
What's the issue? The DM either replies "It's not possible" or "There's no need to roll". I mean, I agree you just wasted 20 seconds but it doesn't seem like a big issue to me.
If they're asking for rolls, they're expecting to have a chance; especially if the DM says there isn't a chance, it's almost certain that there is (or will be) a disconnect.

Oofta

Legend
If they're asking for rolls, they're expecting to have a chance; especially if the DM says there isn't a chance, it's almost certain that there is (or will be) a disconnect.
So you tell them no roll was necessary or that there's no chance of success. Like I said, 20 seconds gone forever is not a big deal.

If someone asks for a check to do something impossible I'll clarify the scene or ask them what they're trying to accomplish. I just don't see why it's a big deal one way or another. Sometimes people try to do something only to realize it's impossible. So?

Oofta

Legend
I mean, nobody has ever tried to pick up something only to realize it's heavier than expected and there's no way to pick it up? You've never gone to force something open only to have it open easily?

A check that reflects that automatic failure or success is the same thing.

Besides, if someone asks "Can I tell if the clerk is telling the truth?" I'll ask for an insight check because not asking for one is a clear indicator that the clerk is telling the truth.

Nebulous

Legend
I’ve learned to enjoy the odd fight or two when they get to kick ass. Even if it’s not as engaging for me as a DM. It makes the brutal fights more impactful without making the PCs scared to open a door without buffing up first.
Haha. Yes that's true. As much as I love terrifying them with a brutal encounter, they do like to mop the floor with bad guys more often.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
So you tell them no roll was necessary or that there's no chance of success. Like I said, 20 seconds gone forever is not a big deal.

If someone asks for a check to do something impossible I'll clarify the scene or ask them what they're trying to accomplish. I just don't see why it's a big deal one way or another. Sometimes people try to do something only to realize it's impossible. So?
Its not that they're trying something impossible. By all means. But its when the DM already knew it was impossible but asked for a roll anyways just to see a nat20 and go "sorry, that was impossible anyways."

That's pretty frustrating.

Oofta

Legend
Its not that they're trying something impossible. By all means. But its when the DM already knew it was impossible but asked for a roll anyways just to see a nat20 and go "sorry, that was impossible anyways."

That's pretty frustrating.
Which ... is not what I was responding to, or I misunderstood completely

Especially ability checks, which people still ask for rolls where there was no chance of failure or guaranteed failure.

I assumed "people" meant players. I've never once had and can't imagine why a DM would ask for a roll they knew was automatic or guaranteed. :unsure:

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I assumed "people" meant players. I've never once had and can't imagine why a DM would ask for a roll they knew was automatic or guaranteed.
DMing 5E, I have on occasion had a player presume a roll was going to be called for, and roll, and then either A) announce the result or B) ask if they were supposed to roll, and then be disappointed that the good roll wasn't going to make a difference. I've never asked for a roll if a task was guaranteed success/failure.

Oofta

Legend
DMing 5E, I have on occasion had a player presume a roll was going to be called for, and roll, and then either A) announce the result or B) ask if they were supposed to roll, and then be disappointed that the good roll wasn't going to make a difference. I've never asked for a roll if a task was guaranteed success/failure.
Yeah, I think I've always done this in all editions. When a player rolls a 20 and it still fails I just shrug and say they were the ones who asked to roll. My preference is that they describe what their PC is doing and I'll ask for the roll. I just don't force my personal preference on the players.

If they roll and it's not clear what they're trying to do I'll just get clarification. Accommodating player's styles and "nudging" them into my preferred style of play works best for me.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Which ... is not what I was responding to, or I misunderstood completely

I assumed "people" meant players. I've never once had and can't imagine why a DM would ask for a roll they knew was automatic or guaranteed. :unsure:
I see. My mistake, I did mean DMs when I referred to players. Your remarks definitely make more sense now and I squarely agree.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe the writers of 5e wrote for an audience of existing D&D players rather than new players. There is precious little handholding in Phandelver (and the first encounter is quite tricky to run well). The DMG is arse-backwards and the PHB is utterly overwhelming
I hear you about the DMG. I honestly can’t imagine how it was decided that the FIRST thing a new DM would want to learn is cosmologies and how to create planar adventures.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases