D&D 5E 5th edition Forgotten Realms: Why can't you just ignore the lore?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You'll have to get over that feeling, then, because on this forum space it's perfectly acceptable to point out to someone when they're being a jerk. If that's not your cup of tea then this might not be the forum space for you.

You are incorrect. It is never OK to call someone else a jerk on EN World. Here are the rules, in case you've forgotten them.

OK, white knight. You're just as pompous and preachy as you've always been. Typical Realmsian, really. Let us know when that change actually happens, if ever.

It's also not OK to call someone pompous. You can report problematic posts., but namecalling is not the way to handle it.

Laeknir

First Post
You need to find better players than. I have my own anecdotes about how even at conventions when I DM the FR this is NEVER A PROBLEM.

It is a problem for YOU. Not a problem with the setting.

It really is a problem with the setting IMO, because in my experience with many groups (all different Realms editions) and even DMing for Encounters and RPGA events, the quality of a player isn't associated with whether or not they're a Realms enthusiast. So it's not about finding "better" players. Some FR players are amazing roleplayers, and they're excellent in various settings. But the moment you use FR, they want it to be the "living" Realms. They may or may not disrupt the game by being irritable or outright jerks, but they'll be depressed and sad that you're not using the Realms "correctly" of fully when it comes to the lore. Even if you explain beforehand that your game is half homebrew, it's still an issue. It's not good IMO to throw out good roleplayers when the issue is more about the setting, so I switch settings and guess what - everything is fine.

The primary issue, as I've said before, is about people wanting or expecting canon (or as close as possible) even though no one can follow it exactly or predict how the massively omnipresent metastory is going to change in the Realms. We can't know it all , because it's NDA and dependent on novel authors, and not everyone can collect every single book or downloadable file that's been published.

The only "out" is by having players who don't care about the Realms canon material - and if that's the case, why bother using the setting anyway?

*shrug*

To each their own.

Mirtek

Hero
IThe only "out" is by having players who don't care about the Realms canon material - and if that's the case, why bother using the setting anyway?
So the problem with FR is that it's so great that people like it and want FR inside when a DM writes FR on the outside?

That's like complaining that pizza is bad since your friends like it while you like burgers. And they will only come over for diner if you serve pizza. And they will complain when you invited them for pizza and it turns out your personal recipe for pizza is a piece of grilled beef between two buns. If this stupid pizza had never been invented your friends wouldn't like it and they wouldn't complain and happily eat burgers with you. So clearly pizza is a bad food.

I mean seriously, how many times does one have sex with a goddess (in D&D)?
Depends on whether one goes by the name of Elminster.

Selkirk

First Post
it isn't a question of why can't you ignore the lore...but one of how can you not ignore it? in the absence of any setting book or detailed descriptions of the world one has to ignore the lore-because it doesn't exist. sure there are place names and allusions to various heroes/gods but this is a thin reed. dmg is basically saying create your own world to the point where 5e reads like a set of rules for a generic fantasy world.

5e's 'lore' consists of vague mentions of factions and tiamat-that's it.

Mirtek

Hero
yes, when I started playing D&D I read the grey box and thought it great, and people where just starting to talk about the ToT... so as I was getting into it I remember asking why a good aligned adventurer took the neutral deity of magic's spot, why she didn't just say "Hey, no evil magic users anymore..."
Actually during her early time as deity of magic she did just that. Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad to a big part if about why she doesn't do that anymore (hint: the deities of evil, war and destruction made clear she learned her lesson)

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
it isn't a question of why can't you ignore the lore...but one of how can you not ignore it? in the absence of any setting book or detailed descriptions of the world one has to ignore the lore-because it doesn't exist. sure there are place names and allusions to various heroes/gods but this is a thin reed. dmg is basically saying create your own world to the point where 5e reads like a set of rules for a generic fantasy world.

5e's 'lore' consists of vague mentions of factions and tiamat-that's it.

One suggestion might be to research the Realmslore online. Canonfire is a website that tells you most of what has been written about everything in Greyhawk, for example.

Selkirk

First Post
but this is searching thru editions past for sourcebooks that may or may not have any relevance (not to mention the fact that most sourcebooks are a chore to read). the default 5e setting 'lore' is basically nothing but some familiar city names and yeah you could go back and read a bunch of ed greenwood stuff and apply it to your campaign...but what's the point then? it's basically 2e or 3e settings with 5e mechanics.

but then we come back to the question of is 5e just a ruleset/set of mechanics? is it a system or a world? to the question of could you ignore the lore-with 5e there isn't any lore to ignore...so yes :D.

Last edited:

Laeknir

First Post
LOL, you know what? My bad. I completely forgot that trying to talk to people rationally about the Forgotten Realms is a lot like trying to discuss politics while shouting over a jet engine that's two feet away. Very few people hear you, even if they're the ones that asked you a question, and because it's politics if there's any hint of disagreement they'll ignore you anyway.

So yeah, I'm out. Carry on!

Remove ads