• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5th edition monks

hawkeyefan

Legend
So, as usual any invocation of an absolute (to illustrate a general point) will be met with the specific rebuttal in the form of an anecdote.

...but generally, constitution as the "jack of all trades" ability is the one that no one dumps, unless they are rolling in order or have a very specific character concept. While no stats exist for this, I would suspect that Constitution is the least "dumped" stat of them all, by a significant margin.

Yeah, I wasn't saying you were wrong or anything, just offering an example for the sake of discussion.

I think that Constitution is probably the most universally useful stat across classes, honestly. Even more so than Dexterity.

I would say that intelligence is the most popular dump stat. My only point is that people rarely RP the full gamut of their dump stat; for example, as I alluded to, charisma is not just being suave, or the face of the party (that's 1e), but is the overall "force of personality." So a weak-willed bland jerk.

Yeah, I think it's actually kind of fun to role play the effects of a dump stat. If I'm playing a low Intelligence character, I will play him like a moron. That doesn't restrict me as a player from offering something useful to the group, though. I know a lot of tables may view that as "metagaming" but we generally don't mind suggestions from other players on how to proceed, unless there are specific reasons not to allow it.

So I play my character as a moron, but I can still play slightly smarter than that!

Personally, I don't see the issue with monks (5e monks are one of my all-time favorite classes). Just the usual problems with abilities in D&D.

Sure, I agree. I feel that the 5E monk is probably the most viable version they've ever made. This is why I see any attempt to somehow restrict that or limit it as counterproductive. I like to view the stats as far less codified than most folks on these boards do.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I would say that intelligence is the most popular dump stat. My only point is that people rarely RP the full gamut of their dump stat; for example, as I alluded to, charisma is not just being suave, or the face of the party (that's 1e), but is the overall "force of personality." So a weak-willed bland jerk.
I mean, Wisdom actually is at least as related to strength of Will in 5e, and being a jerk is entirely unrelated to Charisma. Your Charisma will just determine whether a jerk is a likeable jerk or an obnoxious jerk.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, I don't think that I'm going to trust some quackery on the Internet.
Quakery is honestly all it is to me and any claim otherwise is something else painting itself as questionable. Dragon Ball Z for the win you know.

Random not quite on topic: They have done studies where random pokes with a faux needle does the same thing as "real" acupuncturists with real needles. (now if I am designing that for the game would i make all placebo effect ... umm no)

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Furthermore, if we're no longer allowed to, as a culture, use loanwords, then the English language is doomed.
I think some may be claiming that the obviously asian marked martial things are treated like magic vs the other martial things not doing that is orientalism. (or is that a different conversation)

Or in this thread the what i see as stranger argument that the dex emphasis is some form of racism... :(

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Not what I said.
You said....

"Monks are not, in any way, 'Asian Coded" in 5E, and they have not been thought of as such in other editions, in my experience. Perhaps, I have experienced something apart from the norm, but I have never seen a direct attribution of Monk abilities to elements of Asian culture or 'code' or somesuch. "

And I still say that is full on horse hockey its obviously "Asian Coded" which is what i was disputing.

Random not quite on topic: They have done studies where random pokes with a faux needle does the same thing as "real" acupuncturists with real needles. (now if I am designing that for the game would i make all placebo effect ... umm no)
Well, I, for one, can't wait until the day when WotC finally releases the Homeopath class.

(It gets an ASI at level twelve quadrillion, and nothing else.)

Undrave

Legend
So what is the 'AVERAGE' supposed to be in terms of attributes? I've always been under the impression the average is a 10. Average INT is 10, Average STR is 10 and so forth.

So how much DUMBER is an INT 8 guy compared to an INT 10 one? On a scale from 8 to 20 (or 1 to 12, or, since that's what matters, -1 to +5), how BIG of a step down is that single step down?

Maybe we just overdramatize the impact of that 8? I mean, PCs are usually exceptional individuals so maybe 8 is actually average?

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Well, yes, the problem is that it’s kinda racist.
How accurate are our depictions of western martial arts and culture? Are people of other backgrounds playing fictionalized and inaccurate European archetypes racist?

I am guessing the answer will be 'no' despite them being neither accurate nor perhaps flattering to modern sensibilties.

Oddly we are asking for accurate/realistic? depictions of some peoples and cultures but not others.

At the same time its not acceptable to only depict certain people and cultures. I'll take my drubbing, but the issue remains.

Is Wuxia and D&D monk-ism just the product of "Westerners?"

Remove ads