6 players, 5 hours, 4th edition

Mephistopheles

First Post
hong said:
The answer is that it might have happened, but it happened offstage so nobody noticed.

If that works for you then go for it. Clearly the majority of settings have run just fine - and I've had fun playing in them - letting these things happen conveniently offstage. Personally I find settings more interesting when they do try to take into account that these types of things are going on and they have an impact on daily life in the world. Working through those kinds of things is one of my favourite parts of world building.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Mephistopheles said:
If that works for you then go for it. Clearly the majority of settings have run just fine - and I've had fun playing in them - letting these things happen conveniently offstage. Personally I find settings more interesting when they do try to take into account that these types of things are going on and they have an impact on daily life in the world. Working through those kinds of things is one of my favourite parts of world building.
Oh, you're one of THOSE people.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Ourph said:
I'm not saying it's game breaking within the context of 4e, but it definitely implies a vastly different "challenge-scape" than most people coming from 3e or earlier editions are accustomed to in D&D.
I'm not to worried. There are already low level 3rd ed characters that can effectively teleport at will as is. (Totemists anyone?) It hasnt exactly broken the game, once every 5 minutes is actually reining it back a bit. The standard solutions still apply.

Make the obstacle wide enough that they cant teleport over it in one sitting.
Make it difficult to actually use the power if in the middle of an obstacle (Heck, we need more excuses for that concentration check). Someone falling would have fallen a significant distance before he might have a chance to use said teleport.
Even if he DOES teleport over/through the obstacle, what about the rest of the party? Sure HE gets through the door/gate, but now he's by himself.

hong

WotC's bitch
D.Shaffer said:
I'm not to worried. There are already low level 3rd ed characters that can effectively teleport at will as is. (Totemists anyone?) It hasnt exactly broken the game, once every 5 minutes is actually reining it back a bit. The standard solutions still apply.

Make the obstacle wide enough that they cant teleport over it in one sitting.
Make it difficult to actually use the power if in the middle of an obstacle (Heck, we need more excuses for that concentration check). Someone falling would have fallen a significant distance before he might have a chance to use said teleport.
Even if he DOES teleport over/through the obstacle, what about the rest of the party? Sure HE gets through the door/gate, but now he's by himself.
Like I keep saying, it's a signature ability that oozes flavour. What better way to show a fey really IS different, than the fact you can't keep him in jail?

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Oooooh!!!!

Simple EASY houserule. Fey Step doesn't wortk if the Eladrin is touching iron. Like Shackles. :)

It also won't penetrate a screen of iron bars.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Charwoman Gene said:
Simple EASY houserule. Fey Step doesn't wortk if the Eladrin is touching iron. Like Shackles. :)

You have singlehandedly redeemed this thread.

edit: that said, I plan on playing Eladrin as is. I just so see much reason to nerf 'em---despite your extremely flavorful idea.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I'm even happy with the mechanics of the healing system. Again, what reservations I have a largely a matter of degree; I like how it works, I just feel for the kinds of games I like it's a little too easy. But the great thing is that would be an easy tweak; just cut down on the number of healing surges a character gets.

Or what about this Rodrigo: make all monsters elites, counting as two? Would that be a simple way to make it tougher (and more challenging) without being unbeatable? Or maybe just tweaking the healing surges would be the best way (depending of course on what kind of game you want to run)

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Charwoman Gene said:
Oooooh!!!!

I can see that being a very popular house rule. :)

Remove ads