6 players, 5 hours, 4th edition

Hussar

Legend
Something that really, really blows my mind about all these threads when the world building camp decides to pipe up is how they seem incapable of actually coming up with worlds that follow these new mechanics.

I mean, we did it for the past thirty years. World building survived the fact that you could have modern day lighting (continual light) for free. World building survived the fact that an elf lived a thousand years yet couldn't be a higher level magic user than a human. Or that, for some reason, non-human settlements used the same demographic charts despite the fact that they have three or more times the lifespan.

World building survived the existence of genius level mind controlling beings that didn't take over the world. World building survived the existence of easily domesticated flying beasts of burden.

On and on and on.

But, being able to teleport thirty feet every five minutes is going to destroy your sense of wonder and break your sense of disbelief?

Y'know what breaks my sense of disbelief? The fact that Firefox doesn't recognize teleport in its spell checker. :D

Nebulous

Legend
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
They have a lot of extra abilities to master, but the DM has all their stuff to learn, plus the specifics idiosyncrasies for each particular monster. If the majority of them have something out of the ordinary, it's going to entail a lot of homework, and I think a lot of DMs will have a hard time meeting the players' level of efficiency.

I for one used to have a hard time with mid/high level campaigns just trying to keep pace with the players. Running a combat heavy campaign with 5 people, it was everything i could do to try and outsmart them, out-tactic them, and actually put some fear into them before they mop up the bad guys. This was early 3e. It looks like it's going to be a completely new learning process now, especially now that monsters have so much diversity. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, but i won't know until i sit down the books and playtest. I certainly don't want it to feel like "homework" before every session.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Charwoman Gene said:
Oooooh!!!!

Simple EASY houserule. Fey Step doesn't wortk if the Eladrin is touching iron. Like Shackles. :)

It also won't penetrate a screen of iron bars.

Brilliant!!! I'm totally stealing this for my 4e homebrew.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
The only thing is how would Eladrin wear plate armor.... Hmm, I'll have to think about that.

Perhaps prison cells have to have magicked to block teleportation. Which is perfectly believeable in a world with wizards and magic.

Spatula

Explorer
Dragonblade said:
The only thing is how would Eladrin wear plate armor.... Hmm, I'll have to think about that.
Weapons and armor are made from steel, an iron alloy... technically not the same material as the crude iron a blacksmith would use to make shackles or prison bars. :) Or you could always use 3e's "cold iron," which was their answer to the stories of iron being anathema to the fey.

Jhaelen

First Post
Dragonblade said:

Perhaps prison cells have to have magicked to block teleportation. Which is perfectly believeable in a world with wizards and magic.
I'd say the shackles/bars have to be made of cold iron to affect them.

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Yeah definitely have to be cold iron to work against a Eladrin. Now would it be the traditional cold iron where it is normal iron used in a certain manner... Or more modern version where it is simply iron wrought without heat.

Mephistopheles

First Post
Charwoman Gene said:
Oooooh!!!!

Simple EASY houserule. Fey Step doesn't wortk if the Eladrin is touching iron. Like Shackles. :)

It also won't penetrate a screen of iron bars.

Nice idea.

It also gave me a flashback to the previews I saw for that recent movie which showed Anakin Skywalker teleporting at will and Mace Windu nailing his feet to the floor. I could have done without that. ;)

Remove ads