D&D (2024) 6e? Why?

I would say that 6e would be viable only if they have a better system. I started on the brown books, quit after seeing 2e, kept tabs upon but did not play 3e, 3.5e, and 4e, but returned on 5e because they finally fixed a lot of what I hated. If they want me to buy 6e, they would have to have a significant improvement on 5e. Not just different, but better. A more dynamic damage range, a better skill system, armor rules that have a more significant impact, that sort of thing.

But if its just going to me tweaked races, classes, spell lists, and feat options, they're wasting their money.

What I would like to see is a basic system ala the PHB, and then modular rules for combat, skills, etc, that a GM can add if desired but still fit with the PHB. That way a group, such as mine, that does a lot of investigative scenarios could benefit from a more detailed skill system that can be fine-tuned, and so forth.

My suggestion is a d20 Modern, and a complete new fictional world, but with a panzer punk look (fantasy second world war). It is more politically correct when antagonists are a fictional race as hobgoblins or onis (mage ogres).

I guess they will try a new Gamma World, with some changes in the d20 system, for example the abilities scores, if you want stories with more investigation and social interactions, and some racial traits being replaced with optional race feats, as in Pathfinder 2.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I could definitely see WoTC start to publish their own variant 5e games.

Instead of new editions, you’d get “The Sci-Fi Edition”. Not a replacement, but a supplement.

But that’s as close as I can see them coming to a new edition anytime in the next decade.

You can use d20 system for D&D, for d20 Future, or a variant "Mutants & Masterminds" but d20 isn't enough universal for crossovers between different genres. A dinosaur or an horde of zombies would be a serious challenge for a barbarian but in a sci-fi controlling a drone, firing a modern weapon or driving a truck against the target could be enough. A simple goblin with firearms and vehicles (or even a powered armour as in Fallout) from Gamma World would be greater menace, and the challenge rating or XPs reward updated. You could create a d20 version of the characters from Street Fighters Capcom's videogames, but these couldn't face enemies from d20 Overwatch or d20 Starcraft. The balance of power is broken with characters from different lines.

And Hasbro wants a D&D AAA videogame but these projects need years, and without a coming soon new edition if it is possible.

Remove ads