6th Edition: What will it hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twilsemail

First Post
From the evidence that I have seen, I have come to the conclusion that 6th edition is just around the corner and I am interested to know what you want 6th edition to be like. Personally I don't want it to be anything like 5th edition. I believe that 5th edition was not accepted overall and didn't do as well as the designers thought.

In fact, 5th edition was so unacceptable that they skipped it in the early design stages. WotC got desperate and signed on a few new hands (including a houngan, a scientologist and Charlie Sheen) and raised Dave and Gary and hired them on (Gary and Dave didn’t really have much choice, being zombies and all).

I hope 6th edition will have more monkeys. D&D has never had enough monkeys for my taste. I think that a monkey rich environment will really enhance the role-playing experience. Also, this will in no way be limited to in-game. Each PHB will come with a voucher for you to claim your own, live, monkey. These critters will be trained to roll dice and that’s the only way you get to roll in the game. You’d better train your monkey to like bigger dice too, because that’s how which dice are rolled is going to be chosen. Rolling an attack roll? Better hope he doesn’t grab a d4.

What do you want out of the next edition?

P.S. this post is 100% serious. Especially the monkey thing.

Scribble

First Post
Chainmail bikini.

Mike Mearls forgot to mention that in his post about what the core of D&D boiled down to. D&D was forever doomed to suxor when they removed the chainmail bikini.

twilsemail

First Post
Chainmail bikini.

Mike Mearls forgot to mention that in his post about what the core of D&D boiled down to. D&D was forever doomed to suxor when they removed the chainmail bikini.

Rumor has it that they've learned from the error of their ways.

6th edition? Chainmail pasties.

delericho

Legend
Gosh, I hope they don't go and skip an edition. That sort of thing always gives me paranoia.

Especially if it's the fifth edition they skip...

twilsemail

First Post
[MENTION=22424]delericho[/MENTION]; just kick back and enjoy the ride. Crack open a six-pack. If you run into too many hitches with the new edition (or the skipped edition) I'm sure that WotC will have troubleshooters standing by to take care of you.

mneme

Explorer
I'm so looking forward to 6th edition.

5th edition was interesting (and who would know that it would be preleased at Origins, only to a select few, only to be replaced with a new edition in just a few months; they must have been working on both editions simultaneously, realizing the reactiong they would get), but it's certainly passe at this point; one can see the writing on the wall, particularly in how they're not even really trying to not deny that it exists any more.

Plus, mechanically, 5th was weak. Sure, you -could- play the game stripped down to below White Box levels, as Mearls hinted at -- but you could also play it in a micro-managing approach that dwarfed the complexity of 3rd and 4th combined. And -everyone- wanted to play it that way [who knew?], so combats bogged down entirely in meta-discussions of what system we were using -- in fact, we haven't finished a game using 5th edition yet!

Hopefully, 6th edition will replace the complex-simplicity of 5th edition with simple-complexity; at least that way we will start play before it's time to call it a night. Maybe they'll bring back feats -- or at least combine some of Features, Foibles, Perks, Bonuses, and Powers.

But it's obvious they're planning on announcing 6th edition at Gencon -- they're not talking (or even "not talking") about 5th edition at all.

I guess that could be because they haven't started writing it, though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I know the "copy to mock" style is common on the internet, but it isn't what I'd call a constructive mode of discussion. Plus, I just closed the other thread - there's no call to mock it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads