• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

7th-Level Drow: XP, etc.?

Steverooo

First Post
In a recent game, I ran a solo PC into a seventh level Drow. Now that the fight's over, I have some questions with the XP and magic rewards...

The poor PC, having a falling out with the adventuring group (after the Half-Orc attacked him), left the party and went off, leaving all the treasure from the previous episode with the party. Alone in a strange land, without a party, friend, or a copper to his name, the lone PC took the desperate route, and went off into the ruins to seek treasure enough to pay for food & lodging.

Wanting to test The Le Games' Spider King class, I took the PC's stats and equipment, and made a Spider King with nearly the same stuff (equal stats and level, different weapons). I was slightly worried about the Drow's poison, but he only had one dose, and his attack missed, so it didn't even come up.

Anyway, the PC killed the Drow, who was also seventh level, so onto the LA, CR, XPs, & magic/wealth...

Since it was a one-on-one combat, I up the level by four, right? And add one, for being a Drow? So the PC gets experience for a 12th-Level encounter? Or am I miscomputing?

The PC doesn't know it, yet, but I gave the Drow two +1 weapons, buckler, and shield (which is what the PC had), but the only other treasure I rolled up was 1,200 GP's-worth. Is about 4,500-GP's worth about right, or should it be more?

How would you do it?

Last edited:

sukael

First Post
You don't up the level by 4--you just give full experience for a CR 8 encounter, rather than dividing it up between the players.

Steverooo

First Post
sukael said:
You don't up the level by 4--you just give full experience for a CR 8 encounter, rather than dividing it up between the players.

Really? Is that the way it works? I thought when you doubled the number of opponents, you added two to the CR (or, in this case, since you halved the number of the party from four to two, and again from two to one, that you raised the enemy's CR by four)? That's wrong?

So I just compute XP & treasure as for an eighth-level opponent (and his little montrous spider "Animal" Companion)?

rgard

Adventurer
Steverooo said:
Really? Is that the way it works? I thought when you doubled the number of opponents, you added two to the CR (or, in this case, since you halved the number of the party from four to two, and again from two to one, that you raised the enemy's CR by four)? That's wrong?

So I just compute XP & treasure as for an eighth-level opponent (and his little montrous spider "Animal" Companion)?

Yes, that is how it should work. Assuming the LA for the Drow is 1 (I thought it was 2, but I don't have my books handy) it is an 8th level encounter. The animal companion sounds like it is a class feature/special ability of the class and that should already be calculated in level of the Drow.

You get all the experience that otherwise you would split with party members if they had been present.

Thanks,
Rich

Steverooo

First Post
Okay, thanks, guys.

Drow are wierd. CR +2, LA +1, IIRC. Yes, the "Animal" Companion is a class feature (just like the Ranger's), but a Tiny Monstrous Spider is worth so little, I'm going to award the few extra XPs for it, anyway, even if it's supposed to be factored in. Its level is so low, it'll be reduced to almost nothing, anyway. Eh... One good swipe, and they're giblets! :]

Thanks for the help, guys!

rgard

Adventurer
Steverooo said:
Okay, thanks, guys.

Drow are wierd. CR +2, LA +1, IIRC. Yes, the "Animal" Companion is a class feature (just like the Ranger's), but a Tiny Monstrous Spider is worth so little, I'm going to award the few extra XPs for it, anyway, even if it's supposed to be factored in. Its level is so low, it'll be reduced to almost nothing, anyway. Eh... One good swipe, and they're giblets! :]

Thanks for the help, guys!

You are most welcome Steve. Hey, it's a good 3000+ experience points to brag about!!!!

Thanks,
Rich

Remove ads