D&D 5E A 10-Level Variant for 5E for review and work

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
@vincegetorix
@DM Magic
@Quartz
@Greenstone.Walker
(sorry if I forgot anyone...)

Well, here is some of the work I have been doing. Honestly, I am running out of ideas at present and there are lots of gaps to fill in, particularly Sorcerer and Warlocks, two classes I am not as familiar with.

So, this OP will be update and I will try to keep things organized. Now, I fully and completely realize much of what I am trying to accomplish is not what some players want. That's cool. I am fine with that. If you don't like the concept, great but please don't waste my time or your simply telling me "I don't like this." If you have comments about power-issues, balance, playability, etc. then of course please post them! I know most of you have much more experience with 5E than I do, so I'm open to suggestions.

When all is done, I'll have a pdf available for people who want it.

Thanks in advance!

1574627898498.png

1574695747726.png

1574695810675.png

1574695843294.png

1574695875063.png

1574695902420.png

1574695931534.png

1574695973239.png

1574696005978.png

1574696035363.png

1574696083248.png

1574696118253.png

1574696153692.png

1574696194418.png

1574696228330.png

The Multiclassing Option will be added later.

Last edited:

Esker

Hero
Some interesting things here, for sure.

Quick initial thought from the first page: by getting rid of ASIs and building in an AC bonus to every class, you're making heavy armor more valuable than it would be, since its base AC doesn't depend on boosting stats.

On top of that, each additional point of AC is worth more than the one before (see my post from yesterday on "RTU"), and so that extra boost is worth way more to characters that would already have high ACs, regardless of the source.

So I'm definitely wary of that aspect from a balance perspective.

Esker

Hero
Quick take #2: Monks and rangers get a little screwed. They're already on the weaker side as classes go, and you're not giving them much of anything new (in contrast to most other classes).

Sorcerer gets showered in goodies, otoh. Some of those new features seem too strong to me. Maybe this is designed to make it so nobody would ever pick bard, since the sorcerer gets better versions of magical secrets and some of the better bardic inspiration options. Being able to change the saving throw of a spell is reallly strong. INT saves for most things! DEX saves vs dragons! STR saves vs wizards!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Still reviewing. I like a lot of the ideas for the class compression, but I feel like making so many other changes along side the class compression (changing Prof Bonus, the way Hit Points are gained, adding a level based AC bonus) detracts from your overall concept. Most of those changes you've included are modular anyway, and don't impact the class compression.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Thanks @Esker . Yes, this is all VERY MUCH still in the first phase process. Some classes I thought had enough to fill in each level, others I found lacking, still others (such as Monk and Ranger) have enough to fill in the gaps, but then aren't strong classes in some respects, so I would be happy to amend them.

The Magic In All Things feature for Sorcerer will likely be changed, FWIW, to keep it separate from Magical Secrets of the Bard. I just haven't figured out how to change it yet. ;)

Quartz

Hero
Well, here is some of the work I have been doing. Honestly, I am running out of ideas at present and there are lots of gaps to fill in, particularly Sorcerer and Warlocks, two classes I am not as familiar with.

Wow. I sit in awe. My first impression is that that is a real good start.

With regards to Expertise and similar abilities you might weant to change that to a plain +2.

I like your idea about HP. You might want to give the PC the option of using the Proficiency Bonus if it's greater than the sum of the two modifiers.

The Fighter is getting screwed a bit: Indomitable is a relatively weak ability. You might add in something from one of the other pillars.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Wow. I sit in awe. My first impression is that that is a real good start.

With regards to Expertise and similar abilities you might weant to change that to a plain +2.

I like your idea about HP. You might want to give the PC the option of using the Proficiency Bonus if it's greater than the sum of the two modifiers.

The Fighter is getting screwed a bit: Indomitable is a relatively weak ability. You might add in something from one of the other pillars.
Cool. Good ideas. If you have any thoughts for Fighters, please let me know.

Esker

Hero
Something else to think about: I'm not sure you need to fill in features at every level for all classes. For full casters, getting access to a new spell level is their class feature at many levels. Classes that get some extras on top of that are getting some minor things; mostly small scalings of their other abilities. Giving full casters extra full-fledged class features at the same time they get a new spell level exacerbates caster's dominance at higher levels.

Remove ads