D&D 5E A Character Sheet for Beginners

DM Magic

Adventurer
This is it -- the final product! It's exactly everything I wanted it to be and was created with the help of several helpful Facebook groups and a few young playtesters. Included in the PDF is every pregen from the Starter Set, as well as a blank in color and in black and white. I hope this is of some use to people out there who want a quicker, easier way of teaching 5th Edition!

Version 1.7: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxTaDcSMIkaaOThQMGRNcG82aDg

Dan Chernozub

First Post
I do not like the huge gaping empty spaces on the first page.
I do not like the absence of the spell's descriptions.
But mostly the blank spaces. I'm sure that as a graphic designer those must catch your eye, too.

DM Magic

Adventurer
I do not like the huge gaping empty spaces on the first page.
I do not like the absence of the spell's descriptions.
But mostly the blank spaces. I'm sure that as a graphic designer those must catch your eye, too.

Thanks for the feedback! The negative space provides rest for the eyes and brings balance to the document. Without it, it would be a wall of text. As for spell descriptions, those can be found in the rulebook. Again, don't want too much text. :)

Dan Chernozub

First Post
Ugh, random lengths of blank space providing rest for the eyes? Not for me.

Doubtful. If you are going to cut something out to save the amount of text used - through out the full proficiencies list.

And sending newbies digging through 100 pages of PHB spell descriptions to find their first spells ever look like the direct opposite of what you were stating you were trying to achieve in the OP.

DM Magic

Adventurer
Ugh, random lengths of blank space providing rest for the eyes? Not for me.

Doubtful. If you are going to cut something out to save the amount of text used - through out the full proficiencies list.

And sending newbies digging through 100 pages of PHB spell descriptions to find their first spells ever look like the direct opposite of what you were stating you were trying to achieve in the OP.

So out of curiosity, design aesthetics aside, you feel this is useless to new players because it doesn't have spell descriptions for the two casting classes?

Dan Chernozub

First Post
Well, it is pretty much useless for the new players that happen to like or draw the spellcasting classes.
There are some good ideas, but IMO there is still room for improvement.
I couldn't find the information about the initiative and what is it tied to.
Bonus action is mentioned a few times, but there is no reference to what actions are etc.

DM Magic

Adventurer
Well, it is pretty much useless for the new players that happen to like or draw the spellcasting classes.

Fair enough. I have thought about putting together a reference sheet with the spells. I'll put more thought into it.

There are some good ideas, but IMO there is still room for improvement.
I couldn't find the information about the initiative and what is it tied to.

Initiative is the first thing listed in the combat section. Its relationship to Dexterity is not pointed out since it's a sheet for beginners.

Bonus action is mentioned a few times, but there is no reference to what actions are etc.

These sheets are not meant to replace the rulebooks, or the DM for that matter. My hope is that it answers the most pertinent questions that tend to arise with players who are absolutely new to the game. Over the years, I've fielded many more "What is a class? What is a d20? How do I do things?" questions than question on actions. When rules questions arise naturally through play, the DM is there to explain as normal.

I really appreciate the feedback and if you can think of any other way to improve it, please post!

:)

schnee

First Post
I think my first comment was actually pretty rude, in hindsight.

These look excellent. I can tell you put a HELL of a lot of work in. (I'm an old print design grognard.)

Tell us how they playtest...

Remove ads