• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General A Chart of D&D Campaign Worlds (v 3.0)

To complicate things further, what about Shadowfell and Feywild? And if I include them, then should I include the Planes? And if so, should Planescape/Sigil be a sub-category?
Ravenloft is the playable part of the the Shadowfell!

You could certainly make a case of the Feywild being the setting for Wild beyond the Witchlight, and even Dungeonland/Land Beyond the Magic Mirror from 1st edition.

JEB

Legend
Just occurred to me, the 4E-era Gamma World RPG was explicitly based on D&D 4E. Does that therefore count as a D&D setting?

If so, do the previous Gamma World editions count as well? Some were compatible with D&D to varying degrees (the Sword & Sorcery Studios version used d20 Modern rules).

Just occurred to me, the 4E-era Gamma World RPG was explicitly based on D&D 4E. Does that therefore count as a D&D setting?

If so, do the previous Gamma World editions count as well? Some were compatible with D&D to varying degrees (the Sword & Sorcery Studios version used d20 Modern rules).
Based on the 1st edition DMG, both Gamma World and Boot Hill could be considered D&D settings.

JEB

Legend
Based on the 1st edition DMG, both Gamma World and Boot Hill could be considered D&D settings.
An argument can certainly be made for Gamma World, if the 4E-era game is enough to make it a D&D setting.

Boot Hill depends on whether or not conversion guidelines are sufficient, though, since there was never a proper D&D version of Boot Hill.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So just to clarify, in your view, if it's D&D compatible and produced by Wizards of the Coast, it's D&D? Even if the specific mechanics, flavor, and genre are all different?
Yes, absolutely. If it from the D&D team, and I can still k it in my D&D game on the fly while drunk? D&D.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

4E and d20 Gamma World, yes. It every edition was D&D compatible, IIRC, but some were. When you can stixk it in without any trouble, it's D&D.

Remove ads