D&D General A Chart of D&D Campaign Worlds (v 3.0)

JEB

Legend
DMs Guild (@Parmandur)
I’ll look into this, although it will have to be for version 3.0.
Personally, I wouldn't count anything DM Guild that wasn't an official Wizards product. (Also, DM Guild only officially permits users to use settings that already appeared in 5E in official publications, and not even all of those, so I don't know that it would add much.)

Rokugan (@JEB)
Done. I only included what was actually published for D&D.
There were 2E Rokugan products? Huh. I only knew about the 3E ones.

THE BIGGER ISSUE…Sub-settings, expansions, distinct settings etc (@JEB, @Stormonu, etc)

Here’s how I did it for 2.0: it depends upon how it was first published. For the Forgotten Realms, Kara-Tur and Al-Qadim were first published as distinct settings and only later incorporated into the FR. The Horde and Maztica were considered part of the FR from the beginning.

Similarly with Taladas – it was part of Krynn from its inception, so I’m considering it as a “major expansion,” not a distinct setting.

This is also why Blackmoor has its own row – it was only subsumed by Greyhawk and Mystara later on. And, of course, regained its freedom later on.

This is also why, after thinking again upon it, I’m going to keep all the various sub-settings of Mystara within the Mystara row – they were all initially published within that setting – at least Hollow World, Savage Coast, Red Steel, etc. That said, Thunder Rift was initially meant to be setting-neutral, even though it was envisioned by the creators as part of Mystara. But I’m giving it its own line under Mystara ala Al-Qadim under the FR.

Admittedly, Hollow World and Masque of the Red Death are a bit tricky as they are both essentially distinct from the rest of the setting. But I’m going to stick with the basic idea of sub-settings: If it was initially conceived of as part of the setting, then it is subsumed in that row; if it was later added on, it gets its own row. So HW is part of Mystara, and Masque part of Ravenloft.
Honestly, I think you're better erring on the side of distinguishing sub-settings, since it's more informative than not distinguishing them.

ADDENDUM – Other Publishers/Wheel of Time
I’ve also added Wheel of Time, even though it isn’t technically D&D but d20. Still, it is close enough that I think it deserves mention. But I might remove it again later.
I would not include Wheel of Time as a D&D setting, specifically because it wasn't designed as a D&D setting. I mean, Star Wars or Call of Cthulhu d20 have just about as much right to be called a D&D setting as Wheel of Time does...

One I just thought of that gets overlooked because of its mundaneness - Fantasy Historical Earth.

That would cover the green Historical books of 2E, possibly Gothic Earth, the early Deities and Demigods “real world“ religions and King Arthur stories, and I believe at least one D&D module. And while you’re not including it, there were several Dragon magazine articles that would be Fantasy Earth gazetteers, as well as the various articles about character stats for historical figures and the like.
I considered suggesting that as well, but they're not really a coherent "Fantasy Earth" setting, just a series of supplements with no obvious interconnections. (Though to be fair, I do recall the supplementary material for 2E's Chronomancer lumping them together.)

Mercurius

Legend
Personally, I wouldn't count anything DM Guild that wasn't an official Wizards product. (Also, DM Guild only officially permits users to use settings that already appeared in 5E in official publications, and not even all of those, so I don't know that it would add much.)
That's my feeling as well.
There were 2E Rokugan products? Huh. I only knew about the 3E ones.
Well, summarizing from Wikipedia, the L5R card game started in 1995 by AEG, then the RPG in 1997. AEG continued publishing Rokugan stuff while WotC was developing Rokugan, then it came out for the 3E OA. I included the AEG stuff because it is still Rokugan - but there was no D&D 2E stuff. I'll clarify that on the next revision.
Honestly, I think you're better erring on the side of distinguishing sub-settings, since it's more informative than not distinguishing them.
I'm veering that way again, thanks to Parmadur. I mean, this sort of chart is just for fun and visual pleasure, but also as a learning too in understanding the development of D&D settings (I was even thinking of doing a "D&D History Through Settings" mega-post). So it is probably better to include them then not.
I would not include Wheel of Time as a D&D setting, specifically because it wasn't designed as a D&D setting. I mean, Star Wars or Call of Cthulhu d20 have just about as much right to be called a D&D setting as Wheel of Time does...
You're probably right, although I think WoT is a lot closer to D&D than those two.
I considered suggesting that as well, but they're not really a coherent "Fantasy Earth" setting, just a series of supplements with no obvious interconnections. (Though to be fair, I do recall the supplementary material for 2E's Chronomancer lumping them together.)
That's my thinking as well. If it was a distinctly developed setting, like Ars Magica's Mythic Europe, then I'd include it.

Mercurius

Legend
To complicate things further, what about Shadowfell and Feywild? And if I include them, then should I include the Planes? And if so, should Planescape/Sigil be a sub-category?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's my feeling as well.

Well, summarizing from Wikipedia, the L5R card game started in 1995 by AEG, then the RPG in 1997. AEG continued publishing Rokugan stuff while WotC was developing Rokugan, then it came out for the 3E OA. I included the AEG stuff because it is still Rokugan - but there was no D&D 2E stuff. I'll clarify that on the next revision.

I'm veering that way again, thanks to Parmadur. I mean, this sort of chart is just for fun and visual pleasure, but also as a learning too in understanding the development of D&D settings (I was even thinking of doing a "D&D History Through Settings" mega-post). So it is probably better to include them then not.

You're probably right, although I think WoT is a lot closer to D&D than those two.

That's my thinking as well. If it was a distinctly developed setting, like Ars Magica's Mythic Europe, then I'd include it.
The project is super cool, love the visualization.

I think Wheel of Time is pretty D&D: the Channeling custom system they set up even feels like the precursor to the 5E Spell system. Then again, Mayne Star Wars d20 counts, it's pretty D&D too...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
To complicate things further, what about Shadowfell and Feywild? And if I include them, then should I include the Planes? And if so, should Planescape/Sigil be a sub-category?
Shadowfell is pretty much just Ravenloft at this point. Witchlight goes a bit of a way towards making a potential new Setting...but it is not quite there yet?

Last edited:

JEB

Legend
But there have also been L5R RPG products since they parted ways with Wizards, too, though - would you count those as 4E or 5E products? I would think only actual D&D or D&D compatible products would count for the chart, yes?

I think Wheel of Time is pretty D&D: the Channeling custom system they set up even feels like the precursor to the 5E Spell system. Then again, Mayne Star Wars d20 counts, it's pretty D&D too...
Call of Cthulhu d20 has literal D&D stats for Cthulhu entities, to include 3.0 Deities and Demigods rule elements. Arguably that makes it more D&D compatible than Wheel of Time... but I certainly wouldn't count Call of Cthulhu d20 as a D&D product.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
But there have also been L5R RPG products since they parted ways with Wizards, too, though - would you count those as 4E or 5E products? I would think only actual D&D or D&D compatible products would count for the chart, yes?

Call of Cthulhu d20 has literal D&D stats for Cthulhu entities, to include 3.0 Deities and Demigods rule elements. Arguably that makes it more D&D compatible than Wheel of Time... but I certainly wouldn't count Call of Cthulhu d20 as a D&D product.
For me, that it was made by WotC rather than through the OGL or SRD tips it a vital over the wall into "D&D."

JEB

Legend
For me, that it was made by WotC rather than through the OGL or SRD tips it a vital over the wall into "D&D."
Call of Cthulhu d20 was made by Wizards, just like Wheel of Time and Star Wars d20. Chaosium published some follow-up CoC d20 products, but the core rulebook was a Wizards publication. Similar to how they handled Dragonlance for 3E (campaign setting was Wizards, rest was Sovereign Press).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Call of Cthulhu d20 was made by Wizards, just like Wheel of Time and Star Wars d20. Chaosium published some follow-up CoC d20 products, but the core rulebook was a Wizards publication. Similar to how they handled Dragonlance for 3E (campaign setting was Wizards, rest was Sovereign Press).
Oh, interesting.

Them that's D&D, too, in my book.

Remove ads