D&D 5E A City of the Gods

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
My current 5E Greyhawk campaign (now in its 5th year) has the characters on a quest to find the Rod of Seven Parts. Because, let's face it, I was greatly inspired by the Key to Time (Doctor Who) in my youth. And big quests for parts of major artefacts really appeal to me. :)

They've found four parts so far - in the Elemental Plane of Air, in the Caverns of Tsojcanth, in the crashed spaceship in the Barrier Peaks, and in a forgotten vault in the Great Kingdom.

The fifth part? That'll be in the City of the Gods, in/near that land called "Blackmoor".

Except, unlike Tsojcanth or Barrier Peaks, I realised I wasn't going to be able to use the published versions of the city. That's fine. My Greyhawk is not the Greyhawk by any stretch of the imagination. (The 1983 boxed set was a great starting point, but I've run a lot of games there now). The primary reason not to use the published versions and a base is because they play a little too close to Barrier Peaks.

So, my version of the City of the Gods is Melbourne. Far more worthy than any other city out there! ;)

It's a strange meld: elements of contemporary Melbourne fused with advanced technology. The characters found a train line first - and a train, filled with trolls wearing "space armour".

They're (mostly) regular trolls, but the armour not only increases their strength, it also increases their intelligence. The party have run into them twice now, and the second time, they gave them a wide berth - although they did blow up the train track so the trolls couldn't easily return to the city.

There are food stalls in the city serving various sweet treats (candy!), but eating it slowly turns the consumer into a troll. It just occurred to me that I could have a metal box with a bird stencilled on it, which if you gazed into it too long you had the same result, but I think I won't use that this time.

Meanwhile, there are blue "goblins" running about and feuding with the trolls. These "goblins" are quite intelligent. They are not goblins, but that's how the characters perceive them. The trolls occasionally capture them and either use them for food, or turn them into replacement troll warriors. (It occurs to me that the trolls might die after too long in the "space armour" - a candle that burns twice as bright, etc.)

To add to the otherworldliness of this environment, the inhabitants of contemporary Melbourne can be seen, going about their daily lives in spectral fashion. Which might lead to a lot of confusion in a "crowded" area if combat breaks out. Can you see your opponents clearly?

Next session is tomorrow. The players have reached the city, and ended the last session face to face with the "goblins". Now to see if they talk or fight! (And it would help a little if I designed a bit more of what they can find).

Cheers!

That idea to use the Key to Time series from Doctor Who as inspiration for an epic D&D campaign is actually really interesting! Now that I think of it, most of the six serials could easily be turned into D&D adventures with minimal adjustments for sci-fi technology (change that to magic I suppose). It helps that two stories take place on less technologically advanced planets, a third takes place on a planet that purposely emulates a feudal society, and a fourth revolves around stone circles and evil druids. Really, only The Pirate Planet and The Armageddon Factor are fully sci-fi, but even with those there are ideas to work with (pirates and psions in the first, and a shadow realm in the second). I'm not sure how close you adhered to your original inspiration, but you've definitely given me some food for thought!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
That idea to use the Key to Time series from Doctor Who as inspiration for an epic D&D campaign is actually really interesting! Now that I think of it, most of the six serials could easily be turned into D&D adventures with minimal adjustments for sci-fi technology (change that to magic I suppose). It helps that two stories take place on less technologically advanced planets, a third takes place on a planet that purposely emulates a feudal society, and a fourth revolves around stone circles and evil druids. Really, only The Pirate Planet and The Armageddon Factor are fully sci-fi, but even with those there are ideas to work with (pirates and psions in the first, and a shadow realm in the second). I'm not sure how close you adhered to your original inspiration, but you've definitely given me some food for thought!
I'm not using any of the situations from the Key to Time, but the general idea - each segment is in a new situation that the players must navigate to find the prize - exists.

Some of the situations in Key to Time would work very well as D&D adventures, though!

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
this is really cool

Are you working any of this up for publication?
At the moment, no. I think my Vault of the Great Kingdom might one day see release, but to do proper justice to the City of the Gods concept would take more time than I have available.

That said, I might release a few elements of it for use.

Voadam

Legend
The Pirate Planet is my favorite of that series, great Douglas Adams Doctor Who. Lots of good individual episodes in the Key of Time sequence but the connections I thought were just super tacked on of the different disguised macguffins and did not really connect into a bigger guardian backdrop story, unfortunately.

The idea of using a ghost crowd as cover for a rogue to hide in melee is pretty nifty.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases