A concealment scenario?

Barcode

First Post
The party rogue is sneaking up for an attack on a mage, who is hiding in the midst of a darkness spell. The rogue has detect magic up, and is intending to spot the mage by the difference in aura strength between the magic items the mage is carrying and the darkness spell. This will be no more than a moderate aura in the midst of an ambient faint aura.

I am thinking nine tenth's concealment. Thoughts?

kreynolds

First Post
Sure. Sounds good. And even though that dasterly Crothian beat me to the punch, I'll say it anyway. You can't sneak attack a creature that has concealment.

hong

WotC's bitch
The mage still has total concealment from the rogue, which means a 50% miss chance. The detect magic just means the rogue knows which 5-foot square the mage is in, without having to guess or make Listen checks. The situation is really the same as trying to find an invisible opponent using detect magic, which is covered in the FAQ.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
I agree with hong, the concealment is still total. In effect, the mage is invisible. The Detect Magic simply allows you to guess the correct square.

kreynolds

First Post
hong said:
The mage still has total concealment from the rogue, which means a 50% miss chance. The detect magic just means the rogue knows which 5-foot square the mage is in, without having to guess or make Listen checks. The situation is really the same as trying to find an invisible opponent using detect magic, which is covered in the FAQ.

Wow, Crothian! Hong just made a complete arse out of both of us! Whoops! :)

Last edited:

Remove ads