D&D 5E What if everyone in the setting had a [Class]?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Anyone who's read my posts (all 5 of you!) knows that I'm very much NOT a fan of the idea that class, as a concept, is a recognizable element within the setting.

But.

I like to be flexible, and I like to think about game ideas that are normally unpalatable to me, and see if/how I can make them work.

With that being said, how would one go about making a setting in which [Class] was a recognizable element within the setting, indeed, so much so that [Class] and level were something that every sapient being had?

1) Everyone gets a class. On their 16th birthday (or some other age that's a marker of maturity for the race in question), everyone participates in a ceremony that grants them their 1st level in a class, and all the abilities they would normally be granted by such. If you somehow miss the ceremony, you'll eventually wake up with a class, but it might not be the one you want.
During the ceremony, you get to pick a class from a multiplicity of options that fit you, but not everyone qualifies for every class. (This is a fiction requirement, not a game requirement.) Some classes are less common; for example, Wizard is usually only an option for kids who have studied a lot of base magic theory beforehand.

2. No commoner classes. Everyone in the world is a recognizable, PC-facing class. No {Farmer] class or [Merchant] class.

3. Everyone knows your class and level. People with classes and can tell the [Class] and level of everyone else at a glance. Maybe it's a visual cue, or some kind of aura, or just gut intuition, but it's not information you can simply hide.
There are caveats. Some spells can hide level and [Class], but that's suspicious. Stronger magic can disguise it. Multiclassing confuses this intuition, a Wizard 3/Rogue 2 generally shows up as a [Wizard] 3. This makes people often suspicious of people who multiclass, as it seems like they're hiding something. Someone much higher level than you {8-10 levels higher) just registers as "High level".

4. People know how classes work. If they see you're a 5th level [Sorcerer], they know that 3rd level fireball you cast is one of only 2, unless you sacrifice your lower level slots. People know a 5th level ranger is much more dangerous than a 4th level one. They know a 1st level [Rogue] is going to be extra skilled in 2 different area of expertise.

5. HP are meat, and everyone heals up after a long rest. Battles are brutual and bloody, because everyone knows if you don't kill someone now, they'll be ready to fight you again tomorrow.

6. Levels are slow to acquire. Everyone knows only real danger and/or rigorous training (such as a wizard academy, a monastery, etc.) will make you level, so most people aren't that interested. A normal human will probably level about once a decade, reaching retirement age at about 5th level. The movers and shakers of a large town or small city will tend to be high single levels; and hitting the teen levels generally makes you a real force to be reckoned with.

7. Other game mechanics are hidden. People know that subclasses and feats exist, but those are generally only able to be discerned by watching the target. The gut intuition that allows identification of [Class] and level doesn't give that level of granularity. Likewise, no one actually knows about hit points, just a general sense that a {Fighter] is tougher than a [Wizard].
Basically, people can't tell numbers, apart from levels and spell slots; there is only a general sense of magnitude. People know some people are stronger or smarter than others, but there's no sense of "She has a Strength of 17."

8. Lots of classes, lots of prestige classes. Different areas of the setting have different frequencies of [Class] availability, and might have unique or uncommon classes only found in that area. Likewise, there a lot of special classes that can only be acquired by the experienced. You can't become a [Dragon-Knight of Arkhosia] until you've sworn an oath, and you have to be a 5th level [Fighter] or [Paladin].

9. Retraining and class transformations are a thing. A [Cleric] might renounce their god and become a [Warlock] or [Cultist]. A [Paladin] can forswear their Oath and become a [Ranger]. Likewise, some prestigious classes might actually rebuild the character, a [Fighter] 5/[Cleric] 5 becomes a [Chosen Prophet] 10 after completing a holy quest for their goddess.

What other features could be added to make this concept stronger?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If I were to design a setting like that, I'd go divine. The gods are not only very present, avatars for each reside in X major cities. On a person's 16th birthday they travel and stand before the assembled gods for a choosing. One of the gods grants the person their class with all associated 1st level knowledge. If you want class and level to be in game knowledge, perhaps leveling up would require journeying to a temple of the god who chose you and an artifact there promotes you. Part of the magic of the gods is the ability know the ranking and abilities of those around you when you concentrate on the person and no magic can mask that information.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
You mean like Fanasy Anime/Manwha?

You'd likely need:Class Groups.

Every [Class] is a member of an over-category of [Group] [Fighter] and [Barbarian] are [Warrior]. [Wizards] and [Warlocks] are [Mage]. You will likely need more that the 4 groups of D&D of [Warrior], [Expert], [Priest], and [Mage] even if there are no [Farmer] class.

OR you'd have to make [Farmer], [Merchant] and [Smith] viable PC classes like some videogames. [Blacksmith] can deal extra damage with hammer and cast fire spells. [Farmer] has primal magic to tame beasts and plants.

TwoSix

If I were to design a setting like that, I'd go divine. The gods are not only very present, avatars for each reside in X major cities. On a person's 16th birthday they travel and stand before the assembled gods for a choosing. One of the gods grants the person their class with all associated 1st level knowledge. If you want class and level to be in game knowledge, perhaps leveling up would require journeying to a temple of the god who chose you and an artifact there promotes you. Part of the magic of the gods is the ability know the ranking and abilities of those around you when you concentrate on the person and no magic can mask that information.
Yea, I was thinking something similar. My idea was there's an Ao-type "overgod" of the setting that grants all sapients their class power, and controls the "system".

When someone becomes a [Cleric], they're technically a free agent. Choosing to champion one of the "normal gods", and joining a holy order, is required for a 1st level [Cleric] to gain their patron. it's theoretically possible for a [Cleric] not to do so, but they don't have any patron abilities until they do.

TwoSix

You mean like Fanasy Anime/Manwha?

You'd likely need:Class Groups.

Every [Class] is a member of an over-category of [Group] [Fighter] and [Barbarian] are [Warrior]. [Wizards] and [Warlocks] are [Mage]. You will likely need more that the 4 groups of D&D of [Warrior], [Expert], [Priest], and [Mage] even if there are no [Farmer] class.

OR you'd have to make [Farmer], [Merchant] and [Smith] viable PC classes like some videogames. [Blacksmith] can deal extra damage with hammer and cast fire spells. [Farmer] has primal magic to tame beasts and plants.
Well, I mean keeping to D&D tropes as much as possible, but lean into the fact that classes being a diegetic element will, by necessity, push your setting in a Manwha/LitRPG/gamelit direction.

I don't want to make a [Farmer] or [Merchant] class; I want the farmers and merchants of the setting to also be Rogues, Druids, Sorcerers, Psions, etc. They're just mostly content to be a level 3 [Rogue] or [Druid], and aren't going to risk their lives and livelihoods just to get another level.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yea, I was thinking something similar. My idea was there's an Ao-type "overgod" of the setting that grants all sapients their class power, and controls the "system".

When someone becomes a [Cleric], they're technically a free agent. Choosing to champion one of the "normal gods", and joining a holy order, is required for a 1st level [Cleric] to gain their patron. it's theoretically possible for a [Cleric] not to do so, but they don't have any patron abilities until they do.
Does that mean that dragons and other sapient monsters all have classes and levels? The setting could get very nasty(and fun) if they did.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well, I mean keeping to D&D tropes as much as possible, but lean into the fact that classes being a diegetic element will, by necessity, push your setting in a Manwha/LitRPG/gamelit direction.

I don't want to make a [Farmer] or [Merchant] class; I want the farmers and merchants of the setting to also be Rogues, Druids, Sorcerers, Psions, etc. They're just mostly content to be a level 3 [Rogue] or [Druid], and aren't going to risk their lives and livelihoods just to get another level.
D&D or D&D 5e?

Because if you expand past the official or core, you can have a [Merchant] group for Artificers, Apothecaries, and other worker classes.
These could be the classes for people who rolled stats too low to take the core classes and make it up with items and crafts.
That's how MMOs and Anime/Manwha does it.

TwoSix

D&D or D&D 5e?

Because if you expand past the official or core, you can have a [Merchant] group for Artificers, Apothecaries, and other worker classes.
These could be the classes for people who rolled stats too low to take the core classes and make it up with items and crafts.
That's how MMOs and Anime/Manwha does it.
D&D 5e at the core, but quite expanded beyond that. I would probably add at least a dozen core classes, and quite a few prestige classes and transformational classes.

I could certainly add a non-combat class or group of classes, but I like the idea that everyone in the setting is at least a little bit combat-competent.

Keeping with that idea, I would probably add at least one or two more classes that get expertise at 1st level so you can have sages, diplomats, etc., without them all being a [Rogue].

Remove ads