A Critical Hit With Prismatic Beams...

Pbartender

First Post
Your Wizard rolls a critical hits against an enemy with Prismatic Beams, hitting all three NADs. How do you apply the bonus critical hit damage dice from his magical implement?

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
I think you apply it twice, once for poison damage and once for fire damage. You definitely don't apply it for the third NAD. If you roll it only once, things are undefined as to whether it is poison or fire and it would then also leave undefined the odd case (albeit extremely highly unlikely) when you would hit on, say, Fort and miss Ref. In that case, you would crit Fort (poison), but not crit Ref (fire) (only merely hit Ref).

I know it's only one attack roll, but it's simply not easy to figure out the undefined cases, so I would pick the easy answer. Besides, more damage = less grind! Reward the player for a good roll.

PS. Isn't the power Prismatic Beams?

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I would probably rule that you just got to apply crit dice once, since you only rolled on attack die. I'd make the bonus damage fire and poison (need both resistances to resist etc.)

DracoSuave

First Post
The critical hit will maximize both instances of damage (that hit).

The additional crit damage is not restricted to once per roll, and the critical hit rules inform you to add it to the damage, so there's no real reason not to add the critical hit damage twice.

RAW it goes on twice.

keterys

First Post
I'd go with one, if nothing else because the latest version of the spell that they posted (but, alas, did not officially acknowledge and put into the compendium) doesn't have two damage rolls - that's RAI enough for me:

Prismatic Beams Wizard Attack 15
Scintillating beams of rainbow-colored light spring from your outstretched hand, affecting your
foes in unpredictable ways.
Daily F Arcane, evocation, Fire, Implement, Poison
Standard Action Close blast 5
Target: Each enemy in the blast
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. You make a single attack roll and use it
against each defense.
Hit (Fortitude): Ongoing 10 poison damage (save ends).
Hit (reflex): 2d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save
ends).
Hit (Will): The target is dazed (save ends).

On Puget Sound

First Post
Only the reflex is a damaging attack; the others impose conditions (ongoing damage is a condition, that could conceivably be removed before any damage is done). The answer is 12+mods+ your implement's crit dice, all fire. Everything else (dazed, ongoing poison, ongoing fire) does not interact with a natural 20.

keterys

First Post
For clarity - the original version of Prismatic Beams has two damage rolls. The proposed revision from the Class Compendium / Arcanist Playtest has one.

Pbartender

First Post
I'd go with one, if nothing else because the latest version of the spell that they posted (but, alas, did not officially acknowledge and put into the compendium) doesn't have two damage rolls - that's RAI enough for me:

Prismatic Beams Wizard Attack 15
Scintillating beams of rainbow-colored light spring from your outstretched hand, affecting your
foes in unpredictable ways.
Daily F Arcane, evocation, Fire, Implement, Poison
Standard Action Close blast 5
Target: Each enemy in the blast
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. You make a single attack roll and use it
against each defense.
Hit (Fortitude): Ongoing 10 poison damage (save ends).
Hit (reflex): 2d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save
ends).
Hit (Will): The target is dazed (save ends).

For clarity - the original version of Prismatic Beams has two damage rolls. The proposed revision from the Class Compendium / Arcanist Playtest has one.

Guh.

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
I agree with keterys on this, if you use this version. Basically, it's crit dice per damage roll. Note, however, that you would still need to hit Ref to get the crit dice (else it's just an automatic hit). But, like I said earlier, I think that would be extremely rare.

Remove ads