A Crunchy Take On Conan From Modiphius Entertainment

With the latest in their string of popular games based on licensed properties, Modiphius Entertainment has released their take on the character of Conan in their latest game for their 2d20 System of rules.

With the latest in their string of popular games based on licensed properties, Modiphius Entertainment has released their take on the character of Conan in their latest game for their 2d20 System of rules.

204217.jpg
View attachment 95751

Conan in An Age Undreamed Of is based up Robert E. Howard's world of Hyborian and iconic anti-hero Conan the Barbarian. Players will be creating characters immersed in the unique lands of Hyborian, as Conan provides a fully gameable setting, derivative of Howard's fiction.
Character creation is an involving and crunchy ten step process. I made a character to get a better feel for this review. There's a lot of room to create pretty much any character theme. The game offers ten Archetypes (something like character classes), but each are very customizable as players determine the background, caste, skills and whole host of other features. How you create character is left to your group, be it by random roll (traditional D&D method) or player selection, and every choice has mechanical as well as roleplay significance.

The mechanics for Conan involves a number of different elements, but use only two die types: d20 & d6. The most common roll will be a skill check, which is a roll under, sometimes variable (1d20 - 3d20), but typically 2d20 dice system. The Target Number of a skill check is derived from the characters ability; and success is the result if the player rolls equal or under that target number. The GM can option to increase or decrease the overall Difficulty Rating of a skill test (based on conditions) by increasing or reducing the amount successes required on a specific roll.

The target audience of the game will likely be those who like some mechanical crunch. The basic mechanics are light, but combat tactics have slightly crunchier options than Savage Worlds. One of the interesting features is Doom and Momentum, which are essentially meta-mechanics, which accumulate point pools. Momentum points are acquired by player characters whenever they gain more than one success on a given check and can be later spent by any member of the group for a variety of advantageous purposes. Doom works with similar fashion for GMs and is used to ratchet up tension, by creating inconveniences and complications within the story.

The PDF digitizing in before my screen is a full color behemoth at 440 pages and includes a separate PDF of character sheets and a color map detailing part of the Hyborian world. A starter adventure and a heaping handful of NPC foes or potential allies are included. The Table of Contents is minutely detailed, including individual page and chapter hyperlinks and a three page Index. There is nothing left to want in visual representation and art. Text is in standard two column format. Did I mention the PDF is gorgeous? It is.

The setting elements are well done, the combat mechanics look intriguing. One place where the game succeeds is in presenting Howard's work in a thorough manner. That said, while grammar is respectable, I thought the writing could have been tighter in a few spots. I think that GMs will occasionally find themselves hunting for things. Especially as when referencing rules and such and especially if this is your first delve in Modiphius' system.

Conan Adventures in An Age Undreamed Of is well put together. If you're a fan of Howard's work, most certainly this is the RPG you've been waiting for, if in fact you are still waiting.

Disclosure: This review includes affiliate links. The PDF of Conan Adventures in An Age Undreamed was provided at no cost, for the purpose of this review.

contributed by Jeff Duncan

Imaro

Legend
Quick question for anyone who has read the game... how are the problematic racial stereotypes Howard often used in his Conan stories dealt with in the game?

G

Guest 6801328

Quick question for anyone who has read the game... how are the problematic racial stereotypes Howard often used in his Conan stories dealt with in the game?

It's nothing I've worried much about so I couldn't tell you off-hand, but if I get a chance (and can find the book) I'll read through and see what I can glean. It's a good question.

Imaro

Legend
It's nothing I've worried much about so I couldn't tell you off-hand, but if I get a chance (and can find the book) I'll read through and see what I can glean. It's a good question.

Cool thanks, while I'm a fan of swords and sorcery in general, and would be interested in adding this to my collection, there are too many alternatives for me to actively seek this out (especially with a majority black gaming group) if African-esque people and cultures boil down to savages in the gamebook.

aramis erak

Legend
I backed this on Kickstarter and I'm not a fan. I've only even tried it a couple of times, and don't find it enjoyable. The mechanics of the system don't evoke for me any of the magic of the Conan setting. It feels like exactly what it is: an existing system that has been re-skinned for a specific genre. It's a functional (if unexciting, to me) generic set of rules, wrapped in a bunch of Conan fluff.

I feel much the same about STA. STA is good enough to not get in the way, but not good enough to evoke the feel mechanically. The adventures for STA are decent trek feel, and coming at a decent clip. Many of the adventures are free. The ship combat is workable; better in some ways than LUG or Decipher; not better than FASA, again on the scale of helping to create the trek feel being best, not getting in the way of the Trek from the players being the next step down.

My read of Conan... I see nothing to enforce, but little to prevent, the "Conan Feel"...

2d20 is passable, has an occasionally showing snowball effect flaw, and otherwise plays decent. It's a generic engine with minimal modifications to settings; more so than Palladium does, less than Chaosium used to do.

Caliburn101

Explorer
I don't need to review the book - I already know the answer on this one Imaro.

Let's cover all stereotyping while we are here;

Firstly, basically they have removed the sexism inherent to the 30s.

Every other picture in the archetypes is a female character, there is no sexist art insofar as the few times a woman is scantily clad in the book it's usually next to a man equally so. After all, musclebound barbarian in leather underpants as he was once or twice in the books, Conan does for the sake of consistency have to be so in the art. The vast majority of the time however people are fully clothed and appropriately armoured etc. including the 'sword sisters'.

There are actually not that many sexist passages in the original stories, there were actually more introduced in the 70's with the Frazetta front-covered pastiche stories. This is studiously avoided by sticking to the original material and being sensible in the use of quotations etc.

In addition, people do tend to think the original material was more sexist than it is. Howard was actually well ahead of the curve for his time in having not only lady warriors who killed men like they were cannon-fodder, but were in a few cases a direct match for Conan steel vs. steel. This really was not the kind of thing that was written at the time, women almost universally needed rescuing by men from other men - they didn't carve out their livers themselves!

I have female players in both my Conan games - 2 in each in fact, and they are more than happy with the portrayal of women, so I would say that's a useful acid test in itself.

On racial stereotyping, in the core book several of the archetypes are black or oriental. This continues in artwork at about the same proportion as one might expect in a modern rpg book. Whilst the Black Kingdoms are yet to have their expansion book released, the fact is there are as many white barbarian races as black, and the worst of them all are white - the Picts.

The Black Kingdoms (African), Vendhya (Indian), Hyrkanian (Mongol), Turanian (City building Mongol) and Khitai (Chinese) races are all powerful in their own right and have significant influence on the world. They are not regarded as inferior. There are of course racial hatreds in place, described in the expansion books, but these are equally prevalent between the different western kingdoms and barbarian domains where they are all white.

Basically whilst remaining true to the original material in terms of who is where and who they are racially, there is not so much as an undertone of racism in the books, and this is pretty cool. One thing that always bothered me when I was studying archaeology was the early history of it when the ruins of the advanced Zembawei civilisation in Africa was found and was interpreted as having been built by white settlers and not the indigenous people (which of course turned out to be racially motivated crapola).

Remember, in the 30's racist interpretations on black cultural achievements in history was pretty widespread.

Yet here was Howard with multiple city-building, civilised and educated black cultures in his world with their own significant power and prestige. Pretty radical stuff at the time!

In short, you need have no worries over racist or sexist elements to the game, it is not an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imaro

Legend
I don't need to review the book - I already know the answer on this one Imaro.

Let's cover all stereotyping while we are here;

Firstly, basically they have removed the sexism inherent to the 30s.

Every other picture in the archetypes is a female character, there is no sexist art insofar as the few times a woman is scantily clad in the book it's usually next to a man equally so. After all, musclebound barbarian in leather underpants as he was once or twice in the books, Conan does for the sake of consistency have to be so in the art. The vast majority of the time however people are fully clothed and appropriately armoured etc. including the 'sword sisters'.

There are actually not that many sexist passages in the original stories, there were actually more introduced in the 70's with the Frazetta front-covered pastiche stories. This is studiously avoided by sticking to the original material and being sensible in the use of quotations etc.

In addition, people do tend to think the original material was more sexist than it is. Howard was actually well ahead of the curve for his time in having not only lady warriors who killed men like they were cannon-fodder, but were in a few cases a direct match for Conan steel vs. steel. This really was not the kind of thing that was written at the time, women almost universally needed rescuing by men from other men - they didn't carve out their livers themselves!

I have female players in both my Conan games - 2 in each in fact, and they are more than happy with the portrayal of women, so I would say that's a useful acid test in itself.

On racial stereotyping, in the core book several of the archetypes are black or oriental. This continues in artwork at about the same proportion as one might expect in a modern rpg book. Whilst the Black Kingdoms are yet to have their expansion book released, the fact is there are as many white barbarian races as black, and the worst of them all are white - the Picts.

The Black Kingdoms (African), Vendhya (Indian), Hyrkanian (Mongol), Turanian (City building Mongol) and Khitai (Chinese) races are all powerful in their own right and have significant influence on the world. They are not regarded as inferior. There are of course racial hatreds in place, described in the expansion books, but these are equally prevalent between the different western kingdoms and barbarian domains where they are all white.

Basically whilst remaining true to the original material in terms of who is where and who they are racially, there is not so much as an undertone of racism in the books, and this is pretty cool. One thing that always bothered me when I was studying archaeology was the early history of it when the ruins of the advanced Zembawei civilisation in Africa was found and was interpreted as having been built by white settlers and not the indigenous people (which of course turned out to be racially motivated crapola).

Remember, in the 30's racist interpretations on black cultural achievements in history was pretty widespread.

Yet here was Howard with multiple city-building, civilised and educated black cultures in his world with their own significant power and prestige. Pretty radical stuff at the time!

In short, you need have no worries over racist or sexist elements to the game, it is not an issue.

Cool thanks for taking the time to post this. Currently my favorite Sword and Sorcery game is Atlantis the Second Age but I'm going to check this book out either as another game on the rotation or as fodder for ideas.

G

Guest 6801328

Cool thanks for taking the time to post this. Currently my favorite Sword and Sorcery game is Atlantis the Second Age but I'm going to check this book out either as another game on the rotation or as fodder for ideas.

If you do, please do come back and give us your assessment on the stereotyping issue. I'm interested in this question, but as a member of approximately zero disenfranchised groups my radar for what qualifies as reinforcing stereotypes is not particularly strong. I'd pick up on the blatant stuff, but probably miss some of the more subtle cues.

Imaro

Legend
If you do, please do come back and give us your assessment on the stereotyping issue. I'm interested in this question, but as a member of approximately zero disenfranchised groups my radar for what qualifies as reinforcing stereotypes is not particularly strong. I'd pick up on the blatant stuff, but probably miss some of the more subtle cues.

If I decide to grab a copy I will definitely post what I think about it.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads