A Demon by any other name.....

Okay, I was perusing my 1st Ed Monster Manual and ran across the entry for Type VI demon.
It stated that there were 6 type VIs, of which Balor is one. (For those that thought a Balor was a type of demon that came along in the Planescape setting.)

So the question is, what are the other five named Type VIs?

I found this one: Glyphimhor in the Forgotten Realms Wiki. However, it lists the type of demon as a Balor (again, post Planescape.).

So is there any clue as to the named of the others being published anywhere, or was this, like so much of 1e just left up to the DM?

And even though this is primarily a 1e question if we can scrape together a total of six names, across any editions (please provide references) I would be grateful.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
My memory is hazy on this, but I believe one of the original Type VI demons was Doug, Lord of the Mostly Empty Refrigerator.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Leaving aside Errtu's appearances in some of the Drizzt novels, I think that some of these turned up in several other places as well. I vaguely recall Wendonai being references in H4: Throne of Bloodstone (as well as being in The Lady Penitent trilogy of Forgotten Realms novels).

EDIT: Wikipedia's entry shows that I was misremembering Wendonai's presence in H4 with Ter-Soth.

Last edited:

Aeolius

Adventurer
My memory is hazy on this, but I believe one of the original Type VI demons was Doug, Lord of the Mostly Empty Refrigerator.

I am reminded of my dishwashers. We have two dishwashers (sort of necessary when one has 7 kids) and I tend to load them simultaneously. My wife often hears me mumbling prayers to Lord Gurgalurk, Master of All Dishwashers (Both Manual and Automatic), as I prepare a fitting sacrifice in the form of glasses, dishes, cutlery, and pots.

kitsune9

Adventurer
My wife often hears me mumbling prayers to Lord Gurgalurk, Master of All Dishwashers (Both Manual and Automatic), as I prepare a fitting sacrifice in the form of glasses, dishes, cutlery, and pots.

I lost my faith in Lord Gurgalurk when the dishwasher died. He rejected my sacrifices.

All the Type VI demon names are in the AD&D Monster Manual II Index. As are all the Oinodaemons.

Type IV

Bilwhr
Johud
Nalfeshnee

Type V

Aishapra
Kevokulli
Marilith
Rehnaremme

Type VI

Alzoll
Balor
Errtu
Ndulu
Ter-soth
Wendonai

Ter-soth is a servant of Orcus, while Errtu has some connection to Lolth.

Hope that helps. :)

Remove ads