Adventurer
Maybe NWS, so sblock to be safe.

[sblock]
4e.jpg
[/sblock]

Bront

The man with the probe
Mouseferatu said:
"All over the page" may have been a bit of hyperbole in this case (though there have been times when it wasn't). At the moment, it's four.

But I really only meant that as an example, and there have certainly been times when threads on a given topic were far more numerous. My point was simply that the ability to ignore a given topic, as one can ignore a given poster, is a feature I'd like to see. I didn't really mean to focus on the specific instance.
There is an ignore thread option that's not available here, but that involves you actualy going to the thread and ignoring it once. That could probably be easily added to Enworld 2.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Umbran said:
Well, here's a bit of a telling point - it is four, but one of them isn't listed in that category, it has the topic of "Humor" rather than "4e". So, the category isn't necessary a good measure.

With the exception perhaps of "4e", if you look at the categories I think you'll find that the categories don't usually reflect the topic of conversation. They aren't intended to, and I think in oder to deliver the function you want, we'd need a much much larger keyword set.
So what if the category isn't a good measure of topic? It's an okay measure of topic. Whenever I use the Search feature to search using more specific terms, I usually have to go through a lot of "not what I'm looking for" to find "what I'm looking for." Is the Search feature a bad idea? No!

Having a feature to ignore certain categories isn't going to be perfect all the time--ignoring the 4e category is still going to yield 4e threads--but if we get 75% fewer 4e threads, that's really useful.

Some people may like the feature, others may not. That's the beauty of the feature--not everyone has to use it. Are you really arguing against it? Why?

It's not something that would go into place now, anyway. MM has a much bigger job in front of him as he's building vJoomla (thanks for your hard work, MM!), but after we have all those features we already know and love, why not this one?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Jdvn1 said:
Having a feature to ignore certain categories isn't going to be perfect all the time--ignoring the 4e category is still going to yield 4e threads--but if we get 75% fewer 4e threads, that's really useful.

Some people may like the feature, others may not. That's the beauty of the feature--not everyone has to use it. Are you really arguing against it? Why?

For two reasons:

1)To properly set expectations, and identify the desired functionality. With the one exception of 4e, the categories really don't reflect "topic". If what folks really want is a feature to ignore any specified topic, this won't do it. Ignoring categories won't allow one to ignore FR discussion, for example.

2) More importantly - developer time is valuable. You say that after he's done with the main move, why not have this feature? Well, because it isn't the only one that's been requested. Given the value of the labor, we have to prioritize. I will generally argue against spending developer time on a feature that doesn't actually provide useful and desired functionality, as compared to one that does what people actually want.

So a WotC employee doesn't want to read what we're saying about 4e, eh? Doesn't want to be tempted to break his NDA, does he? I see where this is going?

RangerWickett said:
So a WotC employee doesn't want to read what we're saying about 4e, eh? Doesn't want to be tempted to break his NDA, does he? I see where this is going?

Freelancer. I wish I was a WotC employee. It would solve a lot of financial worries. :heh:

Remove ads