Feel free to steal this campaign start from me..., it was my seed for a 4e campaign that I don't yet have time to start up.
Timeline: 4 years after Lhazzar became the Pirate Princess of the Principalities, just at the close of the War of the Burning Sky back on Sarlona.
The PC's are fleeing the influence of the Inspired and the budding nation of Riedra, ending up on a 'merchant' vessal that plys the waters between the Principalities, Sarlona, and Q'Barra. The evening that they arrive at the small port located on a eastern island of the Principalities there is a heavy storm, their ship limps into the harbor with sails shredded and a few of the crew missing overboard. The rain is beating hard and limits visibility to a couple of yards.
The docks are empty, and the captain kicks everyone off so his crew can get to emptying out the hold. The PCs get to the end of the dock when a human races past them, gibbering some nonsense in Dhakanni. He charges up to the captain, shoving a bundle of cloth. The Captain stares for a moment, looks up towards the docks...and suddenly calls for the crew to shove off.
Leaving a few crates dockside in his haste.
Figures appear in the rain, the water steaming from thier hulking forms and blood drifts from thier weapons.
...the ship is too far away, its time to fight!
The backstory is that one of the factions in the area have decided to wipe this pirate cove from existance, the PC's are left to fight off those that stayed behind and eek a living out of the ruins.
Which faction would depend alot on the PC backgrounds and types, but come from:
- Dhakanni Skirmishers, who believe the humans need to be removed from the edge of thier Empire
- Frostfell Barbarians, the Frostfell is extending south much further pushing the dangers of the icecap south.
- Q'Barra Mercanaries, retreiving the stolen goods from the pirates
- Opposing Thieves Guild, taking out the competition
- Valenarian Elves.. looking for combat
- Disturbed Past, in carving the cove and the hidden storerooms, a pirate opened up the prison of *something* deep under the island
- Vengeance of the Sea, Sahuagin taking payment for the pirates use of thier seas
The time and location is central to many conflicts and can be expanded based on where and what the PC's want to do. They can even try to go start a small port in the dangerous, unexplored southern continent...I would suggest they call it 'StormReach'