A Essay -- The Knight vs. the Samurai

Who would win, the Knight or the Samurai?

• I choose the Samurai!

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • The Knight will triumph!

Votes: 95 52.2%
  • Draw!

Votes: 24 13.2%
  • Can't make me choose!

Votes: 32 17.6%

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Cougar, it's an incredibly cool essay, but right on the line for what is considered an on-topic poll. We're noticeably stricter about polls than we are about regular threads.

Since it's a close call either way, I'll slide it back with apologies for not including a note when I moved it. Thanks to those who asked politely about this.

One unrelated request, Cougar: your picture sig is quite large. If you're going to use it, please only include the photo once per thread page. Thanks!

Last edited:

Wombat

First Post
There are so many variables involved in this question that is impossible to truly come up with a definitive answer.

So sayeth a man who has worn armour of both styles in his day ;)

Cougar

Felis Concolor
Thank you for your attention Piratecat, you are the coolest. I do appreciate the benefit of the doubt.

Had I realized it was mostly a matter of the poll, I wouldn't have posted one. It was a spur of the moment thing and not really that important to my post. I will think more on what to post as a poll in the future.

I had also noticed how offensive the picture was. It has been changed.

Endur

First Post
I voted draw.

I'd prefer for the Knight to win, but as I view the Samurai as just being a Japanese Knight, it made sense to vote "draw."

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
The linked essay on rapier vs. katana is equally interesting. It's good that groups like thehaca have emerged, but I find a lot of these efforts are really damaged by the perceived need to overcome "katana-worshipper" misconceptions. What you end up with, especially in the knight vs. samurai discussion, is a definite trend towards extolling the virtues of European combat while "cutting down" the virtues of Japanese.

Thehaca is honestly quite balanced and their scholarship is generally excellent, but it still disappoints me that they feel they have to make those sorts of cases. I don't really blame them -- anyone who's had to withstand japanophiles going overboard can certainly sympathize.

I faced off against a Renaissance cut-and-thrust fighter once with my katana and we both agreed that it was incredibly easy for us to kill one another almost simultaneously. I pretty much always took a thrust through the body, and he pretty much always got his head cut off.

Best tactic for the samurai in this case: press the rapier aside and charge forward, pulling the katana across in a fast draw cut. Best tactic for the European: circle and make cuts from a distance, looking for the chance to lunge.

Good fun, though!

LGodamus

First Post
no it was not a snap post,I feel that the whole premise is biased...I realize there are alot of people who think katanas are super l337 and samurai are all like ruroni kenshin, but there is not a need for the question. The truth is like I said earlier...knight and samurai are the same thing only seperated by time and distance . It really is a silly premise. No disrespect intended. I mean silly by that samurai and knight in their iconic representation would never have a way to do battle and speculating on the outcome is mostly futile.

Dirigible

Explorer
The truth is like I said earlier...knight and samurai are the same thing only seperated by time and distance

Uhuh. Same logic, a caveman with a stick is the same as a US marine. One can still be better than the other. My moneys on the jarhead.

Remove ads