A Game of Thrones - The Defenders of the Vale

WargamerX

First Post
I agree with Devyn. We'll need to have a House decided early.

Also, if we go by canon - the game timeframe puts us at the Greyjoy Rebellion.

Oh, and I think this is the above mentioned quiz for those w/o the book...

Characterize your character in a single sentence?
• How would your character’s family describe the character?
• Name three of your character’s fears: one each from youth, the present, and the future.
• What emotions does your character not reveal in public?
• Who does your character look to for inspiration? Guidance?
• Describe your character’s bedroom.
• Describe your character’s first love or crush.
• Do “the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one?”
• Who is your character’s best friend? Describe him or her.
• What is your character’s heart’s desire?
• What does your character think of lies?
• How does your character think he or she will die?

Last edited:

Bleak Knight

First Post
Howdy.

If there's still room for a player, I'd like to jump aboard. I'm relatively new to ASoIaF (read the three first books last month) but I love them. I have the d20 book.

I've participated in PbPs before, but aside from a single one, they went so slowly I lost interest. I might not be able to update daily for the first two weeks (school's crazy before the christmas holiday), but I'll strive to do so as best I can.

As for gaming style, anything will work, but I am definately most interested in the Noble House or A Game of Thrones styles. However, since I'm GM'ing my own campaign as well, I have looked at the stats of the major NPCs in the book. These all figure out close to a 32 point point-buy. While I know this might be a little high-powered, it also (IMHO) makes things a little more fun, as you won't have to jockey with every single point, but can afford to waste a few on non-essential attributes.

Any house will work for me.

Bleak Knight

Ibram Gaunt

First Post
I would imagine it will take at least a week to nail down particulars and to get characters created and approved. As far as who can play, I would like to give precedence to those that posted first, but if they dont respond back soon, I'll pass it along to you guys Bleak Knight, Wassup and Devyn.

So far as players we have, keep in mind this is very tentative
Munin
Enforcer
WargamerX
Tyrmatfrage
Dave-O

Alternates
Devyn
Wassup
Bleak Knight

To get things started, how about House Mallister of Seagard or House Redfort of the Vale?

House Mallister has a long tradition as defenders from the Iron Men while House Redfort have been staunch supporters of House Arryn and are descended from the First Men. Both are well ensconced houses but are pretty open for interpretation.

To nail down timeline I'm going to start just after the War of the Usurper and about 2 years before the Greyjoy Rebellion. That would make it about 11 years before AGOT.

WargamerX

First Post
Bannerhouses of Tully or Arryn; riverlands or mountains?

Hard to decide.

I mean with Redfort, you could have a direct link to actions within the Westeros as agents for the Kings Hand + you have the whole highland clans thing going on.

Mallister, as a squabbling riverlord house means a direct oppurtunity to kill Freys. :]

Hard...

My vote: Redfort (...and I'll just have to hope that the oppurtunity to kill Freys comes up :] ).

Bleak Knight

First Post
Ok, I'm number 3 backup. A little far down the line, but here's to hope.

As for houses, if we (or, more likely, you) go with Mallister, you'll have a direct link to the Ironborn action once that comes up, and you'll have an opportunity to kill Freys. :]

However, as Redforts, you (we, hopefully) might have an easier way of getting into King's Landing and working as agents for Jon Arryn. And working for Lord Arryn will probably mean fighting Greyjoys during their rebellion, but probably no Freys. :(

Tough one...

I'm going to vote Redfort, hoping that it will mean more direct ties King's Landing and the higher ups.

Khairn

First Post
I agree with WargamerX and Bleak Knight in that the House Redfort offers some very intruiging opportunities for a group of loyal :p bannermen.

Then again, its all good to me. I just love the setting.

Enforcer

Explorer
I say definitely a Noble House style game, and I too choose House Redfort. I'd love to play in the Vale when Jon Arryn is running things instead of his screwball wife and weakling of a son.

I'm available to post once a day, certainly, and I have the d20 book.

dave_o

Explorer
Other than House Redfort being bannermen to House Arryn, and goin' with the motto "As Strong As Stone," any more info about them? I haven't finished A Feast for Crows yet (I just got it today) but don't worry about spoilering. Any more info about House Redfort? I aaam partial to the Vale.

Also -- thanks for offering to handle making my character for me. :) I'd love to pick up the book when I get some cash.

Remove ads