D&D 5E A Glimpse Of High-Level Play

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Tonight I'm testing how well low-lvl monsters threaten high-lvl characters due to bounded accuracy. 15th lvl PCs may run across gnolls and their cohorts. If so, we'll see how well charging PCs fair against a whole mess of archers.

practicalm

Explorer
Tonight I'm testing how well low-lvl monsters threaten high-lvl characters due to bounded accuracy. 15th lvl PCs may run across gnolls and their cohorts. If so, we'll see how well charging PCs fair against a whole mess of archers.

I had this happen to 2 6th level players charging 18 archers. It ended poorly for the players. Both were dropped to 0 HP. Cleric healed them with Mass Healing Word and they were able to avoid dying.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm doing it wrong if I want to demonstrate 5e to my players; two games and we've rolled maybe six dice! Not a single fight in two games. On the other hand, they did travel to a demiplane for a secret council of war, ally and declare a truce with their enemy, forestall a massive secret sabotage plan that would have killed tens of thousands, teleport to an ally to recruit a navy, teleport to the Elven lands, and learn that their mother is missing and the major domo is a simulacrum. So at least they were busy.

Tormyr

Hero
I'm doing it wrong if I want to demonstrate 5e to my players; two games and we've rolled maybe six dice! Not a single fight in two games. On the other hand, they did travel to a demiplane for a secret council of war, ally and declare a truce with their enemy, forestall a massive secret sabotage plan that would have killed tens of thousands, teleport to an ally to recruit a navy, teleport to the Elven lands, and learn that their mother is missing and the major domo is a simulacrum. So at least they were busy.
Oh, come on, railroad! "You are attacked during the council of war by a vicious pack of gnolls that followed you into the demiplane!"

Come on, this is for SCIENCE! ;)

AslanC

Explorer
Gotta say I am very happy to see that first post, as I, for the first time ever, will be advancing beyond E6 in D&D. Scary stuff and glad to see it doesn't turn into that insane Wuxia that I wasn't a fan of.

Cheers!

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Admittedly, that does sound rather awesome. I'm excited to hear about the gnolls when you get to it, though. A session I ran for my 11th level group saw them fight a band of bullywugs. Five 11th level PCs (and their enfranchised orc slave-turned-bodyguard-turned-friend) took on 30 bullywugs, 6 merrows, 6 giant frogs, 1 giant toad, and 2 carrion crawlers. I managed to bloody one PC. Otherwise it was a slaughter.

Granted, the enemy came in waves. And the CR2 critters (merrows and carrion crawlers) were a threat. It was a little skewed towards being too easy, but not so much that it was dull.

Come on, this is for SCIENCE! ;)
This was a triumph... :D

Gotta say I am very happy to see that first post, as I, for the first time ever, will be advancing beyond E6 in D&D. Scary stuff and glad to see it doesn't turn into that insane Wuxia that I wasn't a fan of.
Exciting stuff! I hope the advancement goes well for you! I will say that while 5th edition doesn't usually turn into wuxia, some classes go more that route than others (looking at you, monk). Also, I strongly recommend reading the spells your casters are using. I've noticed a few spells that, after coming up two or three times, had a slightly different effect than the player realized (or had a material cost they hadn't noticed).

MortalPlague

Adventurer
While we're boasting about our campaigns, I'll show off this evening's work. I'm putting together the second level of the dungeon from last week. So the top level (left) is what my PCs explored, and now they're at the top of that curving stairway.

The sheet on the right is level two. The left half of that level has a collapsed floor, where there are bits and pieces of the old floor clinging to the walls and pillars. Ten feet below that is murky, black water. The PCs know what dwells there... sort of. They dropped a rock with a light spell on it, and a huge white tentacle reached up to claim it and pull it under the surface. So whatever monstrosity lurks in the water is big and impressive.

Well, it will be big and impressive after I homebrew it. Probably going to use the kraken as a model, just far less potent.

The PCs other option will be to head over to the area which still has a floor, and is much more enclosed. Easiest way to get there is the other flight of stairs, though they can reach it through the flooded rooms. That side of the dungeon (yet to be mapped) will be more enclosed, with more traps and smaller encounters. But in the end, they both lead to the way down to level three, and the Lich's vault.

Attachments

• dungeon.jpg
    dungeon.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 312

KarinsDad

Adventurer
While we're boasting about our campaigns, I'll show off this evening's work. I'm putting together the second level of the dungeon from last week. So the top level (left) is what my PCs explored, and now they're at the top of that curving stairway.

The sheet on the right is level two.

These are awesome maps. I yearn for the days of yesteryear when I had the time and inclination to create maps like these. :.-(

Remove ads