A GMing telling the players about the gameworld is not like real life

hawkeyefan

Legend
Here's my response to this: [MENTION=85870]innerdude[/MENTION] started a thread about how to handle certain aspects of scene framing and adjudication/resolution "without making players play the 'Mother may I' game". From reading the OP of that thread, it's clear that innerdude was not looking for advice on how, as a GM, to avoid "being a douche" or being a "very rare bad DM".

It's quite clear that you wouldn't have framed [MENTION=85870]innerdude[/MENTION]'s question the same way that he did. But given that he framed it using the terminology that he did, and that the subsequent discussions have taken up that terminology, it adds nothing to them to repeatedly insist that a different word should have been used.

You may have noted that in my posts, when I'm not responding to another poster who has used the phrase "Mother may I", I have generally referred to GM decides as a method of adjudication and resolution. That's because the topic of this thread is not what word/phrase would it have been best for innerdude to use. The topic is - given that we all know what innerdude was talking about, is the thing he is trying to avoid any closer to reality than the sorts of techniques that would help him avoid it?

That's not a question about terminology. It doesn't get answered by arguing about the proper usage of "Mother may I".

So I've been watching this thread and reading along, and there has been some very thoughtful discussion at times. There has also been the usual argument about terminology and how it's used, where people start talking about the labels rather than the ideas behind the labels. This post caught my eye for a couple of reasons.

First, I very much agree with it. I think that the intent of the OP by [MENTION=85870]innerdude[/MENTION] in the thread that spawned this one was clearly not to put down any style of play. I don't think he was using Mother May I as a pejorative so much as a style that he was hoping to avoid, or at least minimize. I think his intent was clear, and that we would be better served speaking about his intent rather than the phrase Mother May I and what it may mean.

Second, I feel like this post could have been made in reply to the OP of this thread. Or at least the intent. I feel like you willfully ignored the intent of the post by [MENTION=85555]Bedrockgames[/MENTION], who was clearly speaking about attempting to adjudicate a game with a sense of real world causality in the game's fiction. So that, in the fiction, if a bad guy was hiding in the warehouse, then that is where he would be found, much like in the real world. I think that intent was also very clear. And if it wasn't, it was not long before the poster jumped over to this thread to elaborate, and to clarify.

So I find this call for context and speaking to a poster's intent rather than their chosen words to be a bit incongruous with how you began this thread, [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION].

Having said that, I otherwise agree with a lot of what you say, and your post has generated a lot of discussion, so there is that.

And for the record, I think that D&D absolutely fits the Mother May I description...I just don't think that's a bad thing. Not as long as there is some kind of thought given to how the DM handles the game. I look at the phrase as simply meaning that the game primarily runs through the DM, which D&D most certainly does. But I think that, as with many other games that have been cited, the DM should be acting with some principles that would prevent the game from becoming an example of the worst that Mother May I could be. Those principles should likely be clear at the start of the game, or discussed by the DM and group. As long as that's the case, then things should proceed just fine.

If a DM is acting purely on whim, denying some actions while allowing others with no principle to guide him, no consistency in what is allowed and what is not, then yes, the game would be horrible. For many, this is likely what Mother May I means....the worst version of that. And that's what's caused all the argument back and forth on that. But I feel like with any game, it's possible for a GM to ignore principles and have the quality of play suffer. Seems pretty self evident.

I think perhaps the big difference with D&D and some other games, is that many other games describe the principles that they expect a GM to use, where as D&D seems to hint at a wide variety, and over many editions of the game, over forty-odd years, to the point where there is no set expectation on what principles will guide a given game. But, that doesn't mean there are none.

Sadras

Legend
A good start...

...that sadly went down hill fast and lost a lot of my good will with it.

Well thanks for the input. Keep it up.

EDIT: Given that you define said playstyle with a pejorative I'm not sure how valuable that good will really is.

Last edited:

Sadras

Legend
Btw, the first thing I noticed in 5e was the lacking of a Social Combat/resolution, so to speak. Useful in a situation like the Barbarian and his wife.

5e mechanics on this are limited. Besides the character ideals/bonds used a a general reference, there is the optional rule: Loyalty (dmg 93) but there is the Social Interaction rules (dmg 244-245) concerning the NPC's disposition towards the character. So I imagine one could use the friendly NPC reaction table for a situation between the barbarian and his wife.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
5e mechanics on this are limited. Besides the character ideals/bonds used a a general reference, there is the optional rule: Loyalty (dmg 93) but there is the Social Interaction rules (dmg 244-245) concerning the NPC's disposition towards the character. So I imagine one could use the friendly NPC reaction table for a situation between the barbarian and his wife.
You're not married, are you?

Numidius

Adventurer
Would you find satisfying rolling on the Friendly Npc Reaction table to resolve the barbarian's wife incident?

Sadras

Legend
Would you find satisfying rolling on the Friendly Npc Reaction table to resolve the barbarian's wife incident?

Sure why not? But the process, given the situation would require Conversation, Multiple Checks (3 successes, before 3 losses...etc), Perhaps granting Advantage due to knowing NPC characteristics and relationship/Bond that exists, maybe even allow a Repeat, but the NPC's reaction might be worse.
You can still involve degrees of success/failure or fail forward scenarios so there is much scope for creative play/input.

I'm also sure there are games that handle such social resolution tasks much better.

S'mon

Legend
Sure why not? But the process, given the situation would require Conversation, Multiple Checks (3 successes, before 3 losses...etc), Perhaps granting Advantage due to knowing NPC characteristics and relationship/Bond that exists, maybe even allow a Repeat, but the NPC's reaction might be worse.
You can still involve degrees of success/failure or fail forward scenarios so there is much scope for creative play/input.

This is all very alien to what actually happened, which was more akin to a real life marriage breakdown, with no real attempt to communicate. The player felt entitled to his NPC wife's loyalty & support, he wasn't going to engage in a Skill Challenge to earn it!

Edit: The downside of super-immersive play is that the player/PC separation breaks down so much, the player feels the same emotions even away from the table. I guess this is what Jack Chick was warning us about!

Remove ads