A Look at the Duerger: Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes Preview

Alas, the party completed the Duergar section of the dungeon 2 sessions ago! :O

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Wow. I think Duergar are really cool and have since 1st edition!

I like the little tidbit about Duergar warlocks in the table...if not AL, I would imagine a Duergar hexblade to be really cool. Some exiled thief who finds freedom with a black axe...

Next character idea accomplished!

Wow. I think Duergar are really cool and have since 1st edition!

I like the little tidbit about Duergar warlocks in the table...if not AL, I would imagine a Duergar hexblade to be really cool. Some exiled thief who finds freedom with a black axe...

Next character idea accomplished!

I liked that, too. Pretty evocative. Leaves it uncertain as to whether the warlocks are Duergar, even.

I think that's kinda the internet now, pretty much everywhere. To our credit, I think we manage to maintain a pretty civil community here. There's some scary places out there!

And kudos to you for what you do to keep this place civil! I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Just having been away from here for years and then returning, the tonal shift from general excitement towards not just more skepticism, but actual anger (at least in word choice), just seemed more noticeable. *shrug*

But EN World is still far better than the dregs of the internet, and I'm sorry for my totally subjective (and off-topic!) mini-rant bubbling to the surface of my brain today in a melodramatic way. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

It's just my opinion, it's okay if it differs from yours. I love everything they've done, I just think this one didn't make sense. My comment doesn't herald the end of the golden age of ENWorld I promise.

I'm sorry for jumping on your posts, just the word choice seemed weird to me (and it's been something I've noticed in the past from others, it just finally tipped over to commenting on it today). But as long as you promise ENWorld's golden age isn't over, that's fine with me. Remember, you promised!! ;)

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I think that's kinda the internet now, pretty much everywhere. To our credit, I think we manage to maintain a pretty civil community here. There's some scary places out there!

this is head and shoulders above my previous source of D&D news. only after being a more frequent visitor here did I realize how bad my old spot really was!

gyor

Legend
Getting back on topic, it was alittle interesting. I like ideas like interbreed and binding devil, the psionics and so on.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Do I wish there was more information in the preview? Yes.

But it isn't that bad. I like the Duergar, so whatever information they do release on them for 5e is much appreciated.

I'm now working on designing Clan Paleworm, a growing Duergar clan that ride young (huge sized) purple worms into battle, and who see the massive worms as something akin to war elephants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I dont get why duergers arent more popular in the D&D lore. I get that drows are sexy and that may appeal to a large population, but their whole civilization is still pretty basic, as if all elements of it was designed to sell sexy+evil. OTOH, duerger seem to have a more complex society, with a more gray-ish morality, their long battle with the horror of the underdark, the betrayal of their own gods, the relation with the world of psionics thru their fight with the Mind Flayers and the pure madness of the Demons, their uneasy alliance with devils etc.

Its like they take the best part of drow lore and mixed them with industrialization era dwarves and ''dark alfar'' from norse mythology. They are soooooo much more than ''juste dark dwarfs''.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
This is actually pretty exciting for me. I've been working on how to incorporate Forge of Fury into my Eberron campaign and had some ideas about how the Duerger are the remains of the lost Mror Dwarf clan, altered heavily by a Daelkyr into aberrations. So, very different than typical Duerger, but I think this will definitely give me a lot of ideas to play off of.

Remove ads

Remove ads