• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

a message from george to the one-week boycotters

King_Stannis

Explorer
here you go, straight from george:

"I am not a horse. I do not do horse races," Lucas said in an interview last week. "I'm not interested in opening weekends. I'm not interested in setting records. I know that sounds silly, because we've broken so many records and done all that stuff. I'm interested in making movies and telling stories and giving audiences the best possible presentation."

if your idea is to punish george by lowering his opening weekend gross, it would appear to be an excercise in futility. he's already conceded that SW: AotC will not break records, mainly due to it only being shown on 6,000 screens (as opposed to the 7,200 that spiderman is currently being shown on) because he wants it shown in high quality venues.

Skarp Hedin

First Post
I don't think that people who are likely to boycott the opening week are particularly likely to believe celebrity interviews ;)

I, personally, am not particularly worried about it. I haven't got any messages for George Lucas, though I did think that the Phantom Menace was a pretty crummy movie. I don't assume that he made it poor on purpose in order to bilk fans, or any of the other wacky things I've seen people asserting in various places about the internet (land of reasonable discourse), heh.

King_Stannis

Explorer
i should clarify, i don't he wasn't speaking directly to the "one-week boycotters". chances are he's never even heard of it because it's so infinitecimally small in the grand scheme of things. i believe he was responding to comparisons to spiderman, and whether AotC will top spidey at the box office.

still, it does address his priorities. many think he's all about the benjamins. the quote would say otherwise. were news of this silly boycott to get to his ears, he would most likely reiterate the above, i would think.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Cap'n George has more benjamins than I have skin cells. I certainly HOPE the man's not driven by money, when he can already afford to pay me to strangle every member of my immediate family.

I really doubt AotC will fare comparably with Spider-Man. It's just too high a hurdle. Maybe it'll come close to the Harry Potter watermark, but even that's an unreasonable expectation. Just my take on it all. AotC will get more money out of me (tickets, DVD, lightsaber/action figure toys) than Spidey did (one ticket).

Crothian

First Post
The one or two week, or even a month Boycotters (I've heard all of these from people) will actually help Lucas more then hurt. Opening weekend is not the true judge of a movie. THe true way to judge is how fast it falls in terms of numbers the following weeks. The weeeks following are determined by the true ability of the movie. Many movies that have great word of mouth will actually increase sales from the first week to the third. Others that have bad word of mouth will fall drastically. So, by wating to see it you are helping with the late numbers which shows viewing power.

King_Stannis

Explorer
Crothian said:
The one or two week, or even a month Boycotters (I've heard all of these from people) will actually help Lucas more then hurt. Opening weekend is not the true judge of a movie. THe true way to judge is how fast it falls in terms of numbers the following weeks. The weeeks following are determined by the true ability of the movie. Many movies that have great word of mouth will actually increase sales from the first week to the third. Others that have bad word of mouth will fall drastically. So, by wating to see it you are helping with the late numbers which shows viewing power.

well said. i've tried to make the same argument in the past, to no avail. logic gets thrown out the window with the one-week boycotters - mostly because their position is fueled by blind hatred of the person that has brought them so much happiness. ultimately, it's just a self-gratifying excercise for them, anyway, seeing as they will eventually go (and probably like - though they wouldn't admit it) to the movie.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Dr Midnight said:
I certainly HOPE the man's not driven by money, when he can already afford to pay me to strangle every member of my immediate family.

Just curious, how much would you charge for that?

And how much would you charge me for strangling mine?

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
I read in either Times.com or CNN or something like that that year a Star Wars movie is released it is the HIGHEST grossing movie of that year. Phantom Menance earned more money than The Matrix in 1999 and we all know which one was the better movie. Episode II will earn more money this year than spider man, I don't think it will break the open weekend record though. Thats my 2 cents.

Also I already bought my tickets for thurs 10am, I would have gone to the midnight show but I have to work till 12:30am. George Lucas owns me :(

Remove ads