• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A modern fantasy setting?

bentleyml

Explorer
I would adore a setting that had the world in different time periods. The worlds "medieval" period for generic fantasy, an "industrial revolution" era, a "world war" era with advances in military technology and a "modern" era.

I was thinking of a "Modern" setting playing through Disco Elysium which is set in an alternate world that's sort of in the 1970's. Along with some Urban Fantasy and New Weird stories I've read. Though something like City and the City does apparently take place in our world despite being in 2 completely alien cities. Something like those are easier to do, as the have a smaller focus and are to some extent detective stories. Keeping things at a street level will reduce a bunch of headaches.

But Modern settings could go full action movie mode too, which is generally something of where D&D sort of is. One thing I realized is that even if there's a lot of things in our world that isn't magical, they should be treated like magic items in D&D with things such as rarity and level involved. Just because Stinger missiles exist, doesn't mean that everyone can pick one up at the corner store. It should be more like something that's loot found in some arms dealer's van, and suddenly there's an encounter with helicopter, aren't the PCs glad they just found a Stinger missile.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I probably don't know Eberron in great enough depth to speak with authority, but I always saw Eberron as more early to mid-19th century, with some affectations (e.g. pulp) of the early 20th century.
It's a bit of a mix, but the big central thing is being set 5 years after a WWI equivalent, with a fantastic WWII being a real possibility. It's very 1920s Europe.

Sithlord

Adventurer
On of the settings I am doing is all the 5E rules with all the books allowed. And... (many will hate this. The section from 1E oriental adventure for creating your martial arts system). And the setting started in the year 1900 in five forks West Virginia. The current year is 1972. Plan to play the game through September 11, 2001. I use many gurps and coc books to help me flesh out what the world was like during various decades. The part fought proudly in ww1. And protested ww2 (was not expecting my party to do that at all. But got into ww2 because of nazi cultists in submarines off the coast of Emerald Isle NC. They have picked up a few thing that extended their life at this point. They are in their 90s and look like they are in their 50s and 60s. Some
Are younger because they died and were replaced by newer and younger characters. It’s been a lot of fun. I learned a lot of history. Like that protesters in the 60s to the Vietnam war did not represent that generation and that their were more protesters from the ww1 generation. That amazed me. I’m old enough to many people from that generation. And i would not call them hippies.

I learned a lot of history. Like that protesters in the 60s to the Vietnam war did not represent that generation and that their were more protesters from the ww1 generation. That amazed me. I’m old enough to many people from that generation. And i would not call them hippies.
Yeah this is one of the biggest myths pushed on us about boomers, by boomers. The Vietnam war protesters were on the right side of history, but most Americans, including young ones, were not on their side at all. In a poll after Kent State a majority of Americans responded that the students were to blame. Dark stuff.

bentleyml

Explorer
I'll admit I kind of want a D&D Wild West setting. I want six-shooters and train robberies. I want gun fights at high noon, but I also want wizard duels at high noon. I want there to be technology, but also magic and some magitech. Maybe even different lands have different balances of what they favor.

I want bandits robbing a train while flying in on griffin back.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I would adore a setting that had the world in different time periods. The worlds "medieval" period for generic fantasy, an "industrial revolution" era, a "world war" era with advances in military technology and a "modern" era.

Well, it doesn’t detail anything of a modern period, but the TSR era module Where Chaos Reigns involves time travel to 5 distinct points in time (Ice Age, Bronze Age, early Iron Age, Medieval/Renaissance, and Sci-fi Future).

The module also includes a list of villages and some very basic ideas on the culture and attitudes of each, so you can extrapolate where they might go at different points in history.

Remove ads