A moment of thankful reflection (RPG context)

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
This is why I'm thankful for CCG players (despite the fact we refer to them as card vermin); they're the ones who've really kept those FLGS open for all these years.
You're absolutely right there, and I hadn't even thought of that! I've never been a big CCG person myself (though I played Spellfire back in the day, and enjoyed it, and my kid digs the Pokemon card game).

The shop closest to me focuses on wargaming and miniatures (three big, standing-height wargame tables) but also hosts regular Magic events. Before the shutdown my kid and I were in there every Sunday eating junk food, hanging out, and playing D&D. It's been part of our routine for a year and a half or so.

Here's hoping!

. . . I also just realized that I'm not even following the store on Facebook to keep track of how they're doing; what a dummy/lousy customer I am!

The good news is, they (and the other, gigantic and even better store about an hour away) seem to have weathered the storm! I look forward to resuming our weekly visits when we can.

atanakar

Hero
This is why I'm thankful for CCG players (despite the fact we refer to them as card vermin); they're the ones who've really kept those FLGS open for all these years.

Miniature wargaming is also what keeps FLGS afloat. They need the space to play tournaments and casual events.

atanakar

Hero
At the beginning of the 80s there were no gaming stores as we have them today. You either went to the toy store or the hobby store to buy D&D. As long as we bought miniature rockets or plastic model cars my friends and I were valued customers. When we switched to D&D we weren't so much anymore. The staff had no clue what it was and were not interested in it. They became dismissive and unfriendly. I'm no grateful for that.

In those days very few people played D&D. Our group of 8 rotating players lost 2 players when they discovered CoC and said D&D was bad. We lost another 2 when they discovered Traveller and said Star Frontiers was bad. We never found replacements. I'm no grateful for having a low pool of possible players.

My religious aunt tried to convince my mother D&D was satanic. I'm no grateful for that.

The thing I'm grateful for, despite these events, is that my friend and I managed to play/DM two AD&D1e home-brew campaigns concurrently from level 1 to level 12. But I'm not nostalgic of that time because I did the same with AD&D2e. After that with 3e and 20 Modern. Now I'm doing the same with 5e. The level of fun when I DM increased with time because I've got better at it over the years. I'm grateful for that.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Having started gaming about the same time, I definitely consider myself a big of a grognard, as well... but the stuff after the snip? It already existed.
One-True-Way-ism... very clear in the rants by Gygax in Dragon. Even if he was doing it to be ironic, a lot of people seemed to take it to heart and generate a nasty GM vs Players mentality.
Very few people I knew actually wrote their own games. Most of them simply altered D&D to add things their setting, not a unique game. Most of them sucked. And the Photocopier made it possible to distribute their add-ons, but most weren't making their own games.

There was, by 1981, a good variety in print, too...
D&D vs AD&D was already a thing. And three rulesets in print Classic D&D (LBB), Holmes Basic, and AD&D. Mid 1981 brings us another basic: Moldvay.
Tunnels and Trolls came to be in 1975, as a reaction to reading the rules of D&D. Rejecting the wargamer inspired rules, it is the first game to really streamline the mechanics to consistent use. By 1979, it had become it's long-stable 5th edition. (Which is once again available, but was available thru the early 2000's... and, due to fan demand, is now available in PDF.) It's companion game, Monsters! Monsters!, was also in print.
Boot Hill was halfway between RPG and minis game, and was out.
Metamorphosis Alpha and Empire of the Petal Throne both came out around the same time as T&T... these D&D variants were official stuff...
Gamma World had become something other than Met Alpha...
RuneQuest and Traveller were both in print. As was Starships & Spacemen.
I think Space Opera dates to 1982,. Star Frontiers is also class of 1982. As is Cook's Expert Set for Moldvay or Holmes basic.
Oh, and there was also the Dallas RPG. (No combat! Social Situations resolved by die roll modified for RP!)
Palladium was just releasing the Mechanoids in Dec. 1981.

RuneQuest would expand out in the early 80's to a bunch of games, T&T would get a third in the early 80's as well. Palladium exploded with new games through the 80's... D&D would get 2 more revisions, AD&D two more as well, before 3E stopped both lines by introducing a new core engine, consistently 1d20 roll high.

All of this? I didn't say they didn't exist. I did say many didn't have access to them. That was the key difference. You had to live in an area that would have a store, and then that store would have to stock all of those more obscure games. Unless it was a big city, I never saw it. There was no internet to order games from. If you got a hold of a catalog, you waited 6-8 weeks to get what you ordered (no PRIME then!). And DRAGON only came out once a month (or once every two months), and didn't address all the ambiguities in D&D, but maybe a couple things. So for the vast majority of rules questions, you made them up at your own table. You weren't going to put your game on hold for months hoping that your letter would be answered... Yes, rules lawyers existed, but they seemed to be very few and oft reviled. Now they have their own websites and gaming forums dedicated to rules lawyering.

Retreater

Legend
I'm grateful of how the hobby has expanded. I remember 10+ years ago, struggling to find 4-5 people to play a game of D&D and having to accept bad players just to fill a table.
Now I'm running more games than I can shake a wand of fireballs at, and I could get more if I wanted. My neighbors and their families play. I have coworkers who play. Random people I've met in bars play (including my fiancee haha).
There are conventions where I can meet gamers from across the country or other countries (now even being held virtually). A great community here on ENWorld and other sites where I can discuss the game and get questions answered. Independent publishers making their dreams realities and giving us a diversity of content. YouTube videos to show us how to be better DMs, how to craft terrain and paint minis, and entertain us for hours.
It's a great hobby.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
There was no internet. If you wanted to bounce ideas off of someone, you waited a month and hoped DRAGON published your letter. Or you went to the FLGS (the only one in a 50 mile radius) and hoped there were enough people there to talk to.
A lot of places aren't going to be there once this pandemic is over, which I would assume that RPGs being such a niche market that more so.
This is why I'm grateful for the Internet, even though getting net neutrality seems too much to ask: they can kill local gaming stores, but cool ideas can still be shared online for free a small ISP fee. Stroll through the isles of DriveThruRPG and you'll still find professional-quality offerings that the FLGS would have had, but you'll also find the cheap (free?) unusual stuff that the guy sitting at the gaming table with Doritos might have been happy to explain to you.

aramis erak

Legend
All of this? I didn't say they didn't exist. I did say many didn't have access to them. That was the key difference. You had to live in an area that would have a store, and then that store would have to stock all of those more obscure games. Unless it was a big city, I never saw it. There was no internet to order games from. If you got a hold of a catalog, you waited 6-8 weeks to get what you ordered (no PRIME then!). And DRAGON only came out once a month (or once every two months), and didn't address all the ambiguities in D&D, but maybe a couple things. So for the vast majority of rules questions, you made them up at your own table. You weren't going to put your game on hold for months hoping that your letter would be answered... Yes, rules lawyers existed, but they seemed to be very few and oft reviled. Now they have their own websites and gaming forums dedicated to rules lawyering.
I didn't see EPT until the 2000's, myself, but did read about it in the 80's...

The local military base had, in the garden center, a rack of D&D stuff. It had both Holmes and AD&D in '79, and added Moldvay in '81.
My local grocer (Long's Drugs) had a full aisle of gaming supplies. I saw Dallas while looking at boardgames in '80 or so. I bought my first copy of Moldvay at Long's. I bought several adventures at Long's. I could have bought T&T, had the box been less cryptic.
I got into TFT in winter 1984 - during an ice storm - and proceeded to buy it at the local chain book store, The Book Cache. Melee. Then Wizard. Then AW. Then AM. I couldn't find a copy of ITL, but had enough of it in Dragons of Underearth to run TFT. I didn't have an actual ITL until the 90's... I saw Mechanoids in 1982... but passed because I thought it was a comic book. (I eventually got dead tree of the trilogy... but the low quality paper... ugh... acid migration. I got all three for the cover price of the first)

Anchorage was as big as it got in Alaska - at the time, 175K or so. (Now, it's 350K, and is still as big as it gets.) But, until the mid-80's, it had no dedicated game stores. It had hobby stores and book stores which carried RPG books...
Even the one surviving game store was never solely games... Boscos was, at the time, just a comic & sportscards shop, which, in the mid-80's, added used games, then added new ones, to now where half the store is games, 1/4 is comics, and the rest is split between collectibles and sportscards.
We came to Corvallis a number of times in my youth, so I was aware of Trump's Hobbies there, too. (Now, I live outside of Corvallis.) The dedicated game stores date to the 90's in Corvallis, too. Matt's, like Bosco's, is games, comics, sportscards, collectibles. Gamagora is a nice pay-to-use playspace with some games. Pegasus is a card-crack shop with some boardgames. Trump's still primarily models and RC, but has a small, curated set of board games, some card crack (sealed boosters and starters only, from what I can tell) and a few RPG items dating back to the 00's. (The copy of blue planet had a damaged price sticker in 2004... and it's still on the shelf.)
So, no, it's not just "big cities"... I mean, the worst rules-raping gygaxians I've met were amongst my own age group, fueled by Dragon... and claiming Andrew, myself, Aaron, John, Brian and Brice were doing it wrong. And a few of the older kids, convinced D&D was just a minis game, also said we were doing it wrong, playing theater of the mind or with sketches only... It was a white, upper middle class neighborhood, with no less than 6 groups playing summer of '81. (I only knew of 4... the above mentioned crew, then Sam, Paul and myself, then Andrew's older brother's group... which wasn't Peter's group, and I found out about the group Peter was in when Peter and I became friends in spring of 1985. I found out about another group in the 90's, from a former neighbor who was playing.
Now, Anchorage was and is unusual in that it was a college town , a military town, and a government town, all at once, not to mention a major water and air port. (Many state offices are actually in Anchorage, not the capital.)
Corvallis was and is a college town. It's part of a sprawling multi-city conurbation... Philomath, Corvallis, and Albany all run together.
But I know as well that, in 1981, there were no less than 2 groups in Palmer, and 4 in/near Wasilla, then both small towns, because of gamers I met at Fine Arts Camp. And we played some D&D while at camp, too... it was the first time I gamed with anyone other than Aaron, John, Brian, Bryce, and Andrew. I even GM'd for that group... and there were arguments over how to play... settled by invocation of the magic "Rule Zero" and a vote for who got to GM.

Based upon what I've heard from folks from other places -
The US Military spread gaming far and wide... most bases wound up generating local groups off-base as well as on. This ups the frequency.
College towns tended to have lots more gamers.
Pacific-coast states/territories (CA, OR, WA BC, YT, AK, HI, Guam) seem to have been more gamers, including traditional board/card games, than Midwest or deep South. My cousins in Detroit seemed to have no clue about D&D in the early 90's... My hyper conservative cousin in Portland was all upset about how prolific "That satanic game" was in Portland around the same time.

I should add that I'm thankful for growing up in a place where gamers outnumbered police... (one gaming convention at UAA around 1989 had a group organizing a civic club off campus... they got 350 unique registrations at a time when APD had 350 officers.... and most of the people I gamed with weren't on the list!)

Remove ads