• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Multitude of Monsters

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I've been enjoying playing around with WotC's monster maker the past few days and thought I would post a compilation of my creations to date in case someone may have some use for them. These are for my Forgotten Realms campaign beginning on Wednesday.

There are a couple of conversions plus my own takes on the beholder and aboleth, in particular.

Feedback is welcomed (including criticism) particularly about the ahuizotl (originally in the Fiend Folio) because I think I may finally have got a lurker just right.

Attachments

• A Multitude of Monsters V1.0 10Aug09.pdf
    261.5 KB · Views: 179

DanmarLOK

First Post
Red Hand Ogre Flamethrower has a "See the Pitch Cask section" on a couple of entries but that section appears to be missing from the print out?

Sporemine

First Post
You don't seem to like recharge powers

The aboleth slave gatherer doesn't seem very "leader" to me. The only really "leader" power is invisibility.

The banitepower should probably read:

Shield Wall
When the banite XXXXX is adjacent to at least one other allied banite unit, it cannot be flanked.

"ally with a shield" seems a bit vague.

The elder crushgrip constrictor of set looks like it needs more powers. What it has now are all at wills.

The elder deathrattle viper of set has very few powers as well. It also completely lacks any leader powers (I assume leader was a typo)

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Red Hand Ogre Flamethrower has a "See the Pitch Cask section" on a couple of entries but that section appears to be missing from the print out?

Yes, you're right. It is the adventure notes but I basically borrowed the idea from the first Scales of War adventure. The difference being that fire is required to ignite the pitch (which is where the hobgoblin battlemage comes in with Aganazzar's Scorcher).

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
You don't seem to like recharge powers
By later monsters have more. I'm still learning (which is why I appreciate the feedback- thanks!).
The aboleth slave gatherer doesn't seem very "leader" to me. The only really "leader" power is invisibility.
You're right. I'll be deleting that (or not-I need to look at the aboleth again as I want to recapture the feel of the way I DMed them in 3.5E).
The banitepower should probably read:
Shield Wall
When the banite XXXXX is adjacent to at least one other allied banite unit, it cannot be flanked.
"ally with a shield" seems a bit vague.
OK, I see your point. I'll update that soon.
The elder crushgrip constrictor of set looks like it needs more powers. What it has now are all at wills. The elder deathrattle viper of set has very few powers as well. It also completely lacks any leader powers (I assume leader was a typo)
Agreed. That's still very much a work-in-progress. I wanted to get the basic ideas down while I had access to my Dragon magazines (I live in Singapore, more or less, but all my hardcopies are in my house in Oz).

Thanks for the feedback!

Sporemine

First Post
Again, good job. You would be good as another creator. I created the thread so I could better learn how to create balance, effective monsters. Mesh Hong is another poster on my thread, he's one of the best to learn from and is very good at helping and feedback.

Good job (on the red hand especially)

Kudos

-Sporemine

Mesh Hong

First Post
Now I know why I don't get much actual feedback from my own Monster Manuals. There is so much to take in.

I downloaded it as soon as I saw it and will try and add my thoughts here.

I must admit my first thought was that I hated the way the stat blocks were spread out accross the page, somehow it makes them harder to read (well for me anyway).

I will try and post something a bit more constructive later.

Mesh Hong

First Post
I have never used the official monster creation tools, do you have to be a DDI subscriber to access them?

Aboleth Slave Gatherer
I would be expecting a base of 19 in its stats, you seem to have a lot of 22’s, a creature usually gets a +3 to its primary stat this creature seems to have 4 primary stats.

note: there are a couple of different approaches to creature design, some use the creatures stats to work out there defences, some ignore the stats and use the expected defences as a guide. Over time I have developed an approach that incorporates both.

Dominate
No problems here, I would maybe write the effect in such a way as to point out that the target is no longer dazed but is instead dominated (save ends)

It was at this point (when I checked) that the creature is just a downgraded version of the Aboleth Overseer in the MM1

Phantom Chasm is new, and I think it looks fine.

One point I would make in general is be careful of recharge 6 powers. A creatures life can be very short and a 1 in 6 chance for some reason is very prone to extremes of chance. In my experience they either never recharge (so turn into encounter powers) or by a fluke of chance they come up too often (and are therefore too powerful because when you design a recharge 6 power it is human nature to make it a whopper!). I prefer to use recharge 5,6 powers or encounter powers that recharge at specific times (like when bloodied).

Ahuizotl
I am very confused how the Monster Maker is calculating the creatures Defences. So much so that I don’t know if I can comment on them I get them to be:

HP 64
AC 21 Fortitude 20 Reflex 20 Will 19

I like this creature a lot I think it will work well as a lurker, I don’t think I would use more than 2 in any one encounter though. One thing to bear in mind when running this creature would be that it is a one shot creature, it has one chance to do its thing and if that fails it hasn’t got anything unusual to do. There is nothing wrong with this on a standard creature, in fact it fits with lurkers who will wait until the perfect opportunity before pouncing.

I find Eye Strike a bit confusing as this would imply that the creature is biting a persons face and eyes when it has combat advantage, there is nothing really wrong with it, its just strange to imagine.

Banite Recruit
AC 20 seems incredibly high for a level 1 minion.

I would expect AC 17 Fortitude 14 for this creature.

Otherwise a very standard creature.

Banite Stalwart
Again I would expect AC 18 for this creature,

Banite Sternhelm
Again I would expect AC 20 for this creature. I would also have given this minion an immediate reaction to being missed by a melee attack.

Banite Swordhar
Here we go this is obviously what you have been building up to with your minions.

I would have expected:
AC 22 Fortitude 21 Reflex 15 Will 18
Your stats seem to be getting nearer to what I would expect.

Hold Your Guts In!
A powerful aura but it should work fine. (I have used minions with a similar power and it is amazing how many times they can actually make that save, I had some minions that out lasted equal level brutes)

I’m Coming For You
A level 4 elite would not normally have a double attack, so a recharge 5,6 double attack is a good design decision that makes him more dangerous 1 in 3 turns.

Leg Breaking Kick
This is a good power, I would add 1/round to limit its use.

For the Black Lord
I would be wary of the recharge 6. Also I am not sure about the regain 5 HPs when I would assume he will be surrounded by minions who have 1 HP. If this creature is going to be used with other standard creatures regaining 5 HPs is fairly trivial, I would make it at least 10 HPs.

All other powers
I like them. This guy is a proper leader.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Sporemine,

Thanks again for the feedback.

Mesh Hong,

Interesting. I will go back and look at the specific numbers you mention.

Thanks, too, for the detailed responses. I will go back and look at them item-by-item but I'm off to my office now to do some work (not too much... just enough to look interested ;)).

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I have never used the official monster creation tools, do you have to be a DDI subscriber to access them?

Yes. Do you know a subscriber who has a "spare" update. You're allowed 5 updates on your one account (I have the builder on two desktops and a laptop already).

Aboleth Slave GathererI would be expecting a base of 19 in its stats, you seem to have a lot of 22’s, a creature usually gets a +3 to its primary stat this creature seems to have 4 primary stats.

I gave it Str VH, Con H, Dex L, Int VH, Wis VH and Cha H. Key: VH = +6, H = +3 and L = -3. For its defences, I gave it AC H, Fortitude H, Reflex L and Will H. I've dropped the AC and Fortitude back to average based on your feedback (you're right).

note: there are a couple of different approaches to creature design, some use the creatures stats to work out there defences, some ignore the stats and use the expected defences as a guide. Over time I have developed an approach that incorporates both.

I'm sure with some playtesting I will refine my approach. These are very much first cut which is why I am so grateful for the feedback.

Dominate
No problems here, I would maybe write the effect in such a way as to point out that the target is no longer dazed but is instead dominated (save ends)

Good point. I've fixed that.

It was at this point (when I checked) that the creature is just a downgraded version of the Aboleth Overseer in the MM1

My aim with the aboleth, in due course, is to come close to the 3.5E and earlier versions (and lower level). In other words, I will work in a transforming attack at some point based off the way petrification works.

Phantom Chasm is new, and I think it looks fine.

In some ways that's a placeholder while I think about how its illusion powers will work (I'm still addicted, in a sense, to the aboleth of the earlier editions).

One point I would make in general is be careful of recharge 6 powers. (snip some good advice)

Yes, those are some good arguments. I'll go back through the monsters and see which ones should change (although I do like brutes to be really "swingy").

AhuizotlI am very confused how the Monster Maker is calculating the creatures Defences. So much so that I don’t know if I can comment on them I get them to be:

I've attached the base numbers on the other thread but I think you will find that I've selected H or L adjustments as explained above (and generally tried to balance a H with a L unless a solo etc...).

I like this creature a lot I think it will work well as a lurker, I don’t think I would use more than 2 in any one encounter though. One thing to bear in mind when running this creature would be that it is a one shot creature, it has one chance to do its thing and if that fails it hasn’t got anything unusual to do. There is nothing wrong with this on a standard creature, in fact it fits with lurkers who will wait until the perfect opportunity before pouncing.

Actually... that was exactly the way I was thinking it would work. If it succeeds it's a happy camper; if not, it goes back below the water to wait for the next opportunity.

I find Eye Strike a bit confusing as this would imply that the creature is biting a persons face and eyes when it has combat advantage, there is nothing really wrong with it, its just strange to imagine.

I thought about that too. I rather liked the tail being the only attack that could blind but I wanted combat advantage to mean something in that it is a lurker. I should run a few encounters with it. The 3E version could blind with both attacks and I think that's what changed my mind.

Banite Recruit AC 20 seems incredibly high for a level 1 minion.

Its AC is H (so +3). I thought about this but it will be encounter when the party are 3rd- or 4th- level and I like the higher AC to represent the soldier hanging on grimly... and then he is dropped. I'm probably wrong (the simulationist triumphing over the gamist? ;)).

I would expect AC 17 Fortitude 14 for this creature.

And I think you're right... except I selected H (and L for Reflex, IIRC).

Banite StalwartAgain I would expect AC 18 for this creature,

Ditto.

Banite Sternhelm Again I would expect AC 20 for this creature. I would also have given this minion an immediate reaction to being missed by a melee attack.

Ditto on the AC. Love the immediate reaction! I'll call it, "You're new at this, aren't you?"

Banite Swordhar
Here we go this is obviously what you have been building up to with your minions. (snip) Hold Your Guts In!
A powerful aura but it should work fine. (I have used minions with a similar power and it is amazing how many times they can actually make that save, I had some minions that out lasted equal level brutes)

A swordhar is the equivalent of a sergeant in the pre-Spellplague Zhentarim. I really like the idea of the old sergeant holding the minions together with cries of "Hold your guts in" and "It's only a flesh wound!". I'm really looking forward to seeing it in play.

The officers have such uncouth leader powers. ;)

Leg Breaking Kick
This is a good power, I would add 1/round to limit its use.

Yes, I agree. I only worked out how to include "minor, 1/round" about 15 monsters after this one. As a design decision, I'm beginning to like minor action attacks more and more for solos and even elites. IMO, it's a perfect way to describe a dragon's claw attack.

For the Black LordI would be wary of the recharge 6. Also I am not sure about the regain 5 HPs when I would assume he will be surrounded by minions who have 1 HP. If this creature is going to be used with other standard creatures regaining 5 HPs is fairly trivial, I would make it at least 10 HPs.

Actually, those are really good points. I was tempted to give temporary hit points but they complicate minions unnecessarily. Maybe I'll give out attack and/or damage bonuses instead and let the officers provide the healing.

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide detailed feedback.

Remove ads